Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery - post surgery recovery

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
AliPasha1

Re: Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery - post surgery reco

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi,
As Violet said ,it isn't necessary to transpose the nerve at ischial spine.The only reason all PNE surgeons do that because they learnt the surgical procedure from Roger Robert.I talked to Dr. Whitmore in Dallas who is a Professor of Neurology and he said that nerves are transposed in areas where there is a lot of space for the nerve to move around like the arms and the legs.

The only reason that the Sacrospinous ligament is severed because Roger Robert wants to transpose the nerve and there isn't much space in that area .In doing so,he creates Pelvic instability like Piriformis Muscle syndrome,Tail bone pain,SIJD etc.That's why he denies that there is any Pelvic instability after cutting any of the ligaments.

The important thing is that the nerve should glide easily.

All the best,
Ali
Last edited by AliPasha1 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
calluna

Post by calluna »

Hi Andrew - just to say, good luck and I do hope it all goes well! You will be in good hands with that team, of that I can assure you.

And Frenchay Hospital - well, I can't speak too highly of the place, everyone was wonderful. The wards are spotless, and the staff are amazing. The admissions ward was excellent too, very organised and efficient, they are keen for you to keep warm and be comfortable whilst waiting to go to theatre. I liked being able to walk across there myself. And in recovery there was someone at my side all the time, I felt completely safe.

I am now 3 weeks post-op, I have a long way to go yet before I am back to normal but I can tell already that things are improved. I hope it goes even better for you than it did for me!

Calluna
adg1403

Post by adg1403 »

Lernica - thanks for your best wishes. I was on holiday in Toronto recently - very nice city, had a really good time, fortunately the painkillers meant the flights to/from UK weren't too uncomfortable.

Calluna - thanks for posting. Really pleased for you that you've seen some improvement already, hope it continues - we've probably both read posts on this site from others who have struggled for some time after surgery and wondered if we'd be the same. I've had various procedures at Frenchay, including nerve blocks, so I know I'm going to be in good hands. Dr Greenslade has been excellent in the three years or so I've been under his care - very good beside manner, clearly knows and is passionate about his subject, and can put it across in simple terms.

Hopefully won't be too long after surgery before I can post on the site.

Andrew
Woke up one day in February 2004 wth PN symptoms - cause not known. Numerous drugs, epidurals and nerve blocks (incl CT guided) later, PNE diagnosed in early 2010. Decompression surgery (TG) undertaken at Frenchay Hospital, Bristol in October 2011. Currently under care of Dr Gareth Greenslade, Pain Consultant, Frenchay Hospital.
calluna

Post by calluna »

I was home on Day 3 post-op by the way - I could have stayed for an extra day, there was no pressure, but they said I could go home if I felt I could cope, and I chose to go. In hindsight I should probably have stayed another 24 hours, it was a bit difficult coping at home initially.

Right now, I am tapering off the pregabalin, down to 100mg daily now. I have the tramadol down to 150mg a day and am continuing to take this down, but I am keeping the anti-inflammatories going.

Today I walked for 25 minutes with my husband and the dog - quite slowly, and with some stops for me to regroup. Maybe a bit too far - I was very tired afterwards and had to take a nap - but I managed it, and I enjoyed it so much! I am feeling stronger and better every day. My main issues at the moment are the after effects of bowel surgery, plus abdominal pain - not much nerve pain, although I do still have pain with sitting, it is much less than before surgery.

I will be thinking of you next week.
adg1403

Post by adg1403 »

Hi Calluna

Thanks for the update - your length of stay in hospital is interesting, as the surgeon has suggested I'd be in overnight only, but the nurse that did my pre-op assessment suggested I could be in for at least 2 or 3 days. Which I guess comes down to everyone's recovery being different.

I was also meant to be be having the operation at Southmead, they advised there would be less likelihood of them not having a bed available and needing to re-schedule, but they switched it to Frenchay yesterday, so I am a bit worried that length of any stay in hospital may not be entirely based on my readiness to go home. Hopefully I'm worrying unnecessarily, and that my experience is similar to yours.

Am reassured that you've been able to walk for a period of time so soon after your surgery too, must admit the prospective lack of mobility isn't something I'm looking forward to, but clearly necessary to recovery.

Thanks for your best wishes, will provide an update as soon as I'm able post surgery.

Andrew
Woke up one day in February 2004 wth PN symptoms - cause not known. Numerous drugs, epidurals and nerve blocks (incl CT guided) later, PNE diagnosed in early 2010. Decompression surgery (TG) undertaken at Frenchay Hospital, Bristol in October 2011. Currently under care of Dr Gareth Greenslade, Pain Consultant, Frenchay Hospital.
calluna

Post by calluna »

I think you can be sure that they won't keep you in any longer than necessary. Discharge timing depends on whether or not someone needs (medically) to be on the ward, and on their ability to cope at home.

I would have been out sooner if I hadn't had so much post-op pain. And having mentioned post-op pain - do remember that your surgery will be very different from mine!
river133

Post by river133 »

My surgery was just 9 months ago, I am beginning to sit for a few minutes , but if I sit any longer I pay for it.. I have been walking since two weeks after surgery Ecept for the very cold winter days being that my surgery was in Jan. I also had tg surgery
At times my pain is no different than before surgery :(
I said to my husband the other day" people keep asking me if I feel any better and I want so badly to tell them that I do feel better, but in reality there is not a whole lot of change.. "He said, " just tell them that you are still working on it" I did say there is not a whole lot of change , but I do notice some.. I am still limited with what I can do before my life was taken away with this thing.. My hope is great, I also say to people, I am not much better, but I WILL BE.
I just need to be patient and wait for that nerve to heal.. 1 mm a month is the rate the pn heals... I was 75 yesterday, Other than this I am in great shape... I do hope all goes well with you , you will know what causes you more pain after surgery.. if it does , do not do it.. That pn gets ticked off really easy... :D
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
paulette

Post by paulette »

Ali,
You said the only thing that is important is that the nerve glides easily. There is something else that is important. It is important that the nerve does not become entrapped again. Transposing the nerve makes it less likely that the nerve will become entrapped again. It also enables the nerve to glide more easily, because there is more room.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Good luck Andrew!!!! Wishing you every good wish for tomorrow. Dr G will be your anaesthetist? ? and I have heard such good things about Dr Wong so you will be in good hands. Very much hope that pn will be a distant memory soon.
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

Hi Andrew,
Wish you much luck with your op tomorrow! Look forward with great interest to read both your history and your post-op success :).
Take care, and take things easy afterwards.
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
2 -Xray guided double nerve blocks -Dr.Baranowski - no relief.
TP self-massage reduced piriformis pressure on p nerve.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Feb '15. Applying to be referred again to Dr G.

Return to “SURGERY”