Insomnia

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
sam

Insomnia

Post by sam »

I am having a terrible time trying to sleep. I am not able to sleep even for 2 hours continuously without being disrupted by terrible pain, palpitations and sweating. I can't take a lot of medications also because of constipation problems. My PNE is getting worse progressively. In the beginning I did not have sleep disruptions but now night time is the worst of all. I am really dreading to go to bed everyday. My whole body below the hip is so stiff and prickly all the time. Thanks to this forum, I can vent out my feelings.
carolynm

Re: Insomnia

Post by carolynm »

I had severe insomnia before all this PN stuff started so I know how crazy you feel if you don't get enough sleep. What about getting some Ambien? I have taken it every night for 3 years( started with postpartum depression-related insomnia and now I'm scared to stop taking it!) I think taking some pain meds and an Ambien at night might just do the trick.

cari
PN after using pickaxe doing yardwork 6/11
Potter MRI: Scar tissue abutting L pudendal.
Hibner consult 10/11 w/ plan: 2 mo. PT
No meds work for me
PRF X 3 times in Denver ( was pain free for 5 months after second)
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I know I got palpitations and a problem with sweating (especially at night) because of medication. The main culprit was gabapentin although I have switched to pregabalin now and don't seem to suffer those side effects any more thankfully. Hope you get your situation sorted out Sam, it's no fun even with a nights sleep.
Take care
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
JeanieC

Post by JeanieC »

My insurance will only cover a small quantity of Ambien, so I find that Clonazepam, which is also a benzodiazepine is helpful. So is amytriptiline. Many people find zanaflex, a muscle relaxant to be helpful also. I hope you find something soon because a decent amount of sleep does help to cope with daytime pain.
Diagnosed with left side PN by Dr Renney, March 2010, after over 2 years of searching for help
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain
donstore

Post by donstore »

Jeanie,
Ambien is generic in both regular and time release versions (CR - as of 6 months ago). I have used it for insomnia for 5 years.

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
sam

Post by sam »

Thanks a lot for all your replies and support! I know a reasonable sleep is very important for recharging the body but I am really suffering a lot due to this, I think my continuous pain doesn't allow me to go to deep sleep and wakes me. I will be seeing my GP tomorrow, I will mention about ambien to him, hope he helps me to find some relief.
JeanieC

Post by JeanieC »

donstore wrote:Jeanie,
Ambien is generic in both regular and time release versions (CR - as of 6 months ago). I have used it for insomnia for 5 years.

Don
Thanks for this info, Don, I have not tried to get ambien recently
Diagnosed with left side PN by Dr Renney, March 2010, after over 2 years of searching for help
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain
shawnmellis

Post by shawnmellis »

I also have to use 10mg Ambien, especially now that I have this pain problem. It really helps me to get sleep.
Bringing Help Awareness Education to Patients & Doctors about PNE through Videos at http://www.YouTube.com/PudendalNerve & PudendalHope.com Please tell Dr. Oz to cover topic of PNE by going to http://www.doctoroz.com/contact Started 1/2010. Initial urinary tract infection in 1/2010. Medication: Diazepam, Tramadol. 4 nerve blocks. physical reinjury 8/2010. 7/2011 Potter MRI Varices dorsal branch 8/23/11 Diagnosis Entrapment of Dorsal Branch Dr. Lee Dellon There's Always Hope!
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

Sam, How are you doing with your sleep?
PN after using pickaxe doing yardwork 6/11
Potter MRI: Scar tissue abutting L pudendal.
Hibner consult 10/11 w/ plan: 2 mo. PT
No meds work for me
PRF X 3 times in Denver ( was pain free for 5 months after second)
sam

Post by sam »

Hi Cari
Thanks for asking. I am taking valium everyday now and I am able to sleep for 4 to 5 hours but still everyday is a challenge for me, I am also dealing with severe prolapses and pain but very scared to undergo surgery for fear of making it worse. My GP has referred me to a pain clinic now, I really hope to get a little relief from that. I also want to undergo surgery for nerve entrapment but seeing the success rate of the operation,I am scared of that also.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”