depression and anxiety

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Grammy

depression and anxiety

Post by Grammy »

Do many of you struggle daily with severe depression, anxiety, and fatigue from dealing with this issue? If so could you discuss what medications you have found to help you cope with a condition that basically is totally life altering? Do you need to take daily pain medication along with an antidepressant? Do you need to lay down a lot and rest. I personally have found that every third or fourth day I need to spend the better part of the day in bed. I just get that exhausted. Having such odd and painful feelings in the pelvis causes me to feel extremely anxious in spite of taking an antidepressant. Does this happen to you? I feel so sorry for those of you who are so young and trying to raise young children. I am 64 and I do not have those issues but I have been at this for sixteen years without any positive results so it is just plain discouraging. It has changed my personality completely. I no longer am outgoing. I can not make plans for a vacation anymore because I do not have the stamina to get up early and troop around for the day and then get up and do it all over again. My worse feeling is one "of something falling out--or of a lump in the vagina." It makes me feel so nervous and on edge. Sound familiar??
Karyn

Re: depression and anxiety

Post by Karyn »

Hi Grammy,
Yes, your feelings are completely normal. I'm so sorry you're feeling this way though. Intense pain such as this certainly takes a severe toll on the body and it's no wonder you get exhausted. I tried several medication trials but didn't find them to be very helpful. I know there are others in the group who have had some benefits from them. Me ... I just suffered intolerable side effects with no pain relief. Anti-depressents depressed me. I've been med-free for the past year and I can say that I do feel better, at least in my head.
And although I still exhaust easily, I have more energy and ambition, instead of that un-natural, bone weary, "I just can't" type of fatique.
Grammy wrote:My worse feeling is one "of something falling out--or of a lump in the vagina." It makes me feel so nervous and on edge. Sound familiar??
This is somewhat concerning to me. Have you seen a UroGyn? The reason why I'm asking is, most PN patients, myself included, have a feeling of something being "stuck" up there.
Have you been checked for prolaspe?
I'm glad you found HOPE. We do understand how you're feeling and what you're going through. I know it feels like it some times, but you're not alone!
With gentle hugs and the warmest of regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

the first three years were intensely depressing. then my daughter was born and she has been a huge distraction. I still deal with the depression in waves. I have found prozac helpful. Pain meds help in the moment a little, but cause pain and side effects... they create constipation which presses on the nerves.

sounds like if you have a "falling out" feeling, that you have a Prolapse of some kind. I would get that checked out by several docs and not take no for an answer.

It is hard having your whole life turned upside down, not having energy, having pain. The more open you can become with your friends and just demand to lay down wherever you are, the more it opens up venues for you to get out in the world again. Although it is never 100% the same, there are beautiful things to see... You can lay in cars, lay in movie theaters, lay on planes, lay in restaurants, etc... I just got over being embarrassed about it. Often it's not worth the trouble and residual pain, and like you, I often dread these experiences intensely and prefer to stay at home. However, in few instances where I have gone for it, assuming that it was a really fun event, the fun overrides the pain, and I found myself happy that I got to have fun again. I'd encourage you to try one such thing every month or two, if possible. If not, bring fun to you. Food delivery, movies, invite someone over....

I know this just is no fun. Somehow I thought it might be easier on someone who is older, because all older people have to endure pain of one kind or other, but I guess your story just shows how tough this pain is... and believe me... I feel it with you. You are not alone. Thank God for heaven, where we'll get new bodies. That's one thing to look forward to, although dang it, I want a new one now!

ps- also, vitamin D levels are probably very low, mine were EXTREMELY low and after supplementing with vitamin d3 for 6 months at high doses energy is starting to improve, also supplementing with pharmaceutical grade DHEA for energy issues. Recommend getting your levels tested... and supplementing. That is often a cause of fatigue
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
Grammy

Post by Grammy »

My issues started when I was 48 following a hysterectomy. I do have a weak pelvic floor as I have had five huge reconstructive surgeries over the past sixteen years. I am just thankful that I was able to raise my two sons before this all hit me. Chronic pain is so self-limiting. I know that many of you will understand how difficult it is just to get dressed up and attempt to do something that is fun. For me I pay for it the next day. I feel so awful to have to lay down so much but I do get relief from that and I guess I should count that as a blessing. I also wonder if I am under medicated for the degree of pain that this causes. Nerve pain is just horrid as nerves do not like to be injured. Thanks for responding. Grammy
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

Wow, that is a lot of surgeries.

Yes, Grammy, I agree... don't do things that aggravate your pain. But if laying down is pain relief for you, you can go out sometimes and just lay down everywhere while you're out. You can just not care about what people think of you, & you can see more. It still is harder than being home sometimes, but sometimes it is worth it to get out.

I still get shy every time I have to lay down in public, but you know what? These people are not going to remember you. If they do, who cares? It's your life. If they had your pain, they'd lay down too.

If I were to never get better, I've decided to have glamour shots taken laying down on all kinds of pretty sofas, and just say I'm a diva and laying down is part of my image. ;)
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

:lol: Great attitude, Pianogal! :lol: A/K/A "The Sofa Diva"! ;)
You go, girl!!!
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Sue P

Post by Sue P »

Wow--you've got a long history--so sorry for your loss "self". Chronic pain sucks--in so many ways. Depression is pretty normal, I think; it has been for me, though it felt like I was "giving in" when I finally asked for a prescription. I too have been living with chronic pain 7 years--almost 4 with PNE, have had 3 reconstructive surgeries and approx 17 blocks (pre and post decompression). The scar tissue alone is probably causing a lot of problems as is the buildup of fascitis and "knots" in your muscles. I am also finding that posture issues completely zap my energy, leave my feeling exhausted--I am thankful to work at home several days a week--which also helps with the fatigue.

Regarding anti-depressants--I have tried many in each of the 3 major classes (listed below)--each for several weeks at a time and at several dosages. I have tried samples across the various classes of anti-depressants--both for the depression and for the pain. My personal experience is that it's taken a lot of patience, doctors willing to a) prescribe and b) adjust dosages and perseverance (which is tough when you are already in pain and depressed). I know take an SSRI and a tricyclic everyday and it, along with therapy, a patient family, my physical therapist and friends, I have found it worth the hassle of taking to time to find the "right" one. It is common for patients to feel worse for the first weeks of treatment, esp if trying multiple meds or during the transition.

From Wikipedia--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antidepres ... _of_action

1. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) and tricyclic antidepressants were accidentally discovered to be effective in the treatment of depression. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) block the degradation of the monoamine neurotransmitters serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine by inhibiting the enzyme monoamine oxidase, leading to increased concentrations of these neurotransmitters in the brain and an increase in neurotransmission.

2. Tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) prevent the reuptake of various neurotransmitters, including serotonin, norepinephrine, and to a much less extent, dopamine.

3. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), which prevent the reuptake of serotonin (thereby increasing the level of active serotonin in synapses of the brain). Other novel antidepressants affect norepinephrine reuptake, or different receptors on the nerve cell.

Good luck...
Sue
Griff522

Post by Griff522 »

Grammy,

I have dealt with depression for most of my adult life. I started taking Prozac at age 35 for PMS symptoms. As the years have gone by I have been on Paxil and also Lexapro. All of these helped somewhat in the beginning. But mostly my problem was my negative attitude and I learned a lot about changing the way I think and eventually decided to go off the Lexapro because it was causing a side effect that my marriage could not withstand.

I did pretty well weaning myself off of it with the help of my psychologist. Then several difficult events happened and I was flying solo without an anti-depressant and I had a very tough time dealing with it all. This went on for about 3 or 4 months and I barely managed to get through it and even lost 10 lbs without even trying. And it seemed as soon as things finally calmed down and were getting back to normal, my PN pain started. For 5 months I went from dr to dr and took meds for yeast infections and tried this cream and that cream and nobody could tell me what the he'll was going on!

I was in a very scary and dark place and was praying to God that I wouldn't wake up in the morning. I saw my psychiatrist for a routine visit and told him what was going on with my pain and he couldn't believe that my dr's hadn't addressed my pain. He told me to try Cymbalta because it had been shown to help with nerve pain. He also told me if I wanted to try any other pain medication that he would give me a prescription for it. I took the Cymbalta and it was a little weird at first because I would get some weird muscle twitching but that eventually went away.

The Cymbalta didn't help much with the pain but it helped me immensely with the depression. I had hope once again and I began to start doing more research and eventually went to see a chiropractor and she is the one that explained pudendal neuralgia to me.

My advice would be to just try Cymbalta. If you don't like it you can always wean yourself off it.
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum
Jane

Post by Jane »

Grammy - hi- I am relatively new to this site but I think this and TIPNA are wonderful and already have helped me so much.
I have had PNe for 6 years following a SSF (instead of a hysterectomy). I cannot take a lot of prescription drugs as my body does not respond very well. I have been going to a Homeopath for about 18 months now and she prescribes remedies that mostly help my mental health, also given me stuff for the pain relief, they work well but don't last too long.
Wishing you well.
Jane
elephants27

Post by elephants27 »

I am right there with you! I am 30 and have had this wonderful pain for 5 years now. My depression and anxiety has just got completly worse over the years. But that also comes with the fact that I have no support system. I have been married for almost 8 years and have 3 stepsons, but of course it is not the same when they are not your own, which is not possible for me. I was trying to get pregant when this pn pain came 1 month later. I am now fine with the fact that I cannot have kids, but I am not fine with the fact that I have no support system. Everytime my husband and I argue he always throws everything back in my face, "oh your sad, what now" or the fact that I take pain meds to control the pain, but my parents don't understand either. It's just really hard to deal with, with no support and every arguement which is all the time lately, anything can set him off. I don't know how to keep defending myself and I don't know what to say to him to get his support. I go to accupunture and she helps with that also use aromotherpy to help. But sometimes I get so worked up so fast and can't calm myself down. Does anyone recommed anything..I am allergic to 16 drugs, so those are not an option for me. Thanks for the online support!

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”