10 days post op left side TG with DR Conway

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
jen9952

Re: 10 days post op left side TG with DR Conway

Post by jen9952 »

Helen, I was going to a Chiropractor , right up to the week of my surgery, he told me that my piriformis muscles were fine , but he did think that I was out of alignment, but the 3T MRI showed that the SIJs were fine and so were my piriformis, but then again I stretched my piriformis a couple times a day, along with my psoas and IT bands , but it will be a long time before I can do these stretches.... so it could be a piriformis, SIJ thing going on, I hope not because laying around not being able to stretch. will only make things worst...hopefully in a few weeks I will be able to stretch the right leg at least .

Karyn, The pain ball that I had to carry around for a week, probably helped but it was more of a pain in my arse ,trying to shower with it, and a couple of times I got up and forgot I had it in...OUCH.... but it may have been why this surgery seemed easier than my last, so I guess for the inconvenience of it , it was worth having in :)
Karyn, I am sure that all the crap that you are dealing with now, will get better, you seem like the type of person that will not give up . HUGS right back at ya !!

Thanks Don for the kind wishes :)

Best wishes to all,
Jen
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

jen9952 wrote:The pain ball that I had to carry around for a week, probably helped but it was more of a pain in my arse ,trying to shower with it, and a couple of times I got up and forgot I had it in...OUCH....
:cry: :lol: :cry: Yes, I know of someone else who said the same thing. She actually had it removed after a couple of days.
She also felt like it was irritating the surgical site.
As far as my other issues are concerned ... well, I really was naive thinking the PN surgery would correct everything. I'm sure everything will be just fine. The other issues are much easier to treat. Patience is a virtue! Something I'm a tad short on at this point in time, but sounds good, doesn't it? ;)
I wish the very best for you with your recovery, Jen! Gosh - aren't the restrictions just the hardest thing?!?!?!?
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Faith

Post by Faith »

jen9952 wrote:Helen, I was going to a Chiropractor , right up to the week of my surgery, he told me that my piriformis muscles were fine , but he did think that I was out of alignment, but the 3T MRI showed that the SIJs were fine and so were my piriformis, but then again I stretched my piriformis a couple times a day, along with my psoas and IT bands , but it will be a long time before I can do these stretches.... so it could be a piriformis, SIJ thing going on, I hope not because laying around not being able to stretch. will only make things worst...hopefully in a few weeks I will be able to stretch the right leg at least .
Hi Jen,

Sorry about this new pain post-op. Unfortunately MRI's won't show SI joint dysfunction because it is a mechanical issue and cause of pain. I have SIJD issues too but not nearly as bad as the nerve pain. I was wondering what your mechanism of injury was? I agree SIJ dysfunction/pain can get worse while lying around. After my botox injection and lying around for a couple weeks all my muscles were very tight. Once I was able to move around and stretch some things did get better. Hopefully this will be the case for you too.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
jen9952

Post by jen9952 »

Hi Faith, Thank you , Yes laying around is really making my muscles worst , it has been almost 4 weeks and I am going nuts, just want to stretch!! my left side the one that was operated on still feels weak and sometimes numb , and I get pins and needles feeling , and the right side my butt has a sore muscle , it hurts to touch , I think my piriformis is in spasm and my right IT band is so tight...and all I can do is massage it ...maybe in a couple of weeks, I can stretch the right leg a little.

Hi Karyn, I hope you are still recovering , yes the restrictions are hard to deal with , I have not dare tried to sit yet, I am walking and standing a little more ,but no bending , so things like shaving my legs , or doing my toenails are hard to do, my hubby has done it a couple of times ,I do not like asking him , he has his hands full with raking leaves, and the housework :) ... Karyn were your legs weak after the surgery, if so , for how long???? I can still feel the nerve tingling in my butt, and my leg feels heavy and numb, hopefully temporary.

take care all

Jen
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi there, Jen! :P
I completely understand how you feel with lying down. I couldn't do it for very long and found it difficult going from lying down to getting up. I stood a lot, probably more than I should have. But I was going for 15 minute walks at 3 weeks and enjoyed that very much. I also felt a great need to stretch, too! The symptoms you're feeling right now are normal - except for your leg. I really don't know what's going on with that. I didn't experience any leg weakness. I hope this improves for you! Everything else should diminsh over time. The only place I felt that heaviness was in the bottom of my butt. It also felt very swollen and sore. Took about 10 weeks to go away.
Hang in there, hon. Things will get better!
Hugs,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
jen9952

Post by jen9952 »

Hi Karyn, thanks so much for writing back, I just went for a brief walk , and mine was anything but enjoyable, in between my butt cheeks were numb with a slight burn, felt weird, and my right leg actually hurt, I guess I am one of those odd cases. my husband said that I was walking too fast , maybe I was, habit I guess ,being a former NYer. It sad to think that this time last year I was walking 5 miles a day ...now I dunno...very depressing , but I am going to try to keep my hope that I will get better.

Thanks again for all your help, your such a sweetie !!!

take care
Jen
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

You're very welcome, Jen! I'm so very sorry you're experiencing that "numb, yet burning" in your butt cheeks, but I'm soooo glad I wasn't the only one! :D
What a strange sensation that is, huh?!?!?!??! :shock: Kinda felt like I had a nerf football stuck between my butt cheeks, or something. :lol:
Luckily, that DID go away and I hope it does for you soon, too! I thought it was strange that I hadn't heard of any other post-op patients talking about it on the board, but I have talked to others off-line who said they experienced the same thing. So, I guess it's not unheard of, after all.
xoxo
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Jen,

I've been reading your posts about post-op recovery and I'm sorry to hear that you are having a hard time of it. Just wondering why you are reluctant to stretch your right leg if your surgery was on the left? Couldn't you do something to relieve the stiffness on your right side?

Do you ever sit in a good whirlpool with powerful jets? They would work wonders on your tight and sore muscles. I sit in one at the YMCA just about everyday, and my muscles always feel so loose and relaxed afterwards.

Hang in there, girl! We're all sending you warm healing wishes and hugs.

P.S. Had to laugh about your hubby shaving your legs. Believe me I've asked my husband to do worse. Those poor boys, when they married us, had no idea what they signed up for! But we love 'em and are very lucky and grateful to have them.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Faith

Post by Faith »

Jen,

Don't know if you still check the forum as I haven't seen you on in quite some time, but I was just wondering how you are recovering from your surgery and how your SIJD is doing. I hope things are much better!

Faith
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com

Return to “SURGERY”