Cymbalta

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
carolynm

Cymbalta

Post by carolynm »

For those of you on this med to treat nerve pain, what dose are you on? I'm on 60 mg but wondering if I should ask my dr to up the dose.

cari
PN after using pickaxe doing yardwork 6/11
Potter MRI: Scar tissue abutting L pudendal.
Hibner consult 10/11 w/ plan: 2 mo. PT
No meds work for me
PRF X 3 times in Denver ( was pain free for 5 months after second)
donstore

Re: Cymbalta

Post by donstore »

Rick says he takes 180 mg. per day.
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
smitzel

Post by smitzel »

Hi, Carolynn,
I am on 60mg of cymbalta. My Dr. said that is the regular dosage for pain and should help. The only thing it helped me with was depression... which i did need help for but didn't realize it. The thing that helped me was gabapentin. 300mg 3x/day (which is the normal dosage for pain) was too much so the Dr. Rx 100 3x/day. The side effects were tolerable then. Still some brain fog and such but has helped a lot. How are u doing with the clitoral pain? that is my worst symptom and the gabapentin has helped a ton with it.

Steph
Suffering for 11 years after running marathons and weight lifting. Diagnosed with PN by Dr. Antolak in 2006 and Dr. Weiss in 2010. Taking Cymbalta, Gabapentin and Baclofin. Just made an appointment to see Dr. Hibner for MRI and consultation for surgery, can't get me in until Dec.
calluna

Post by calluna »

Actually the dose for gabapentin - for neuropathic pain - can go up as high as 3600 mg daily (3 x 1200mg). Many people start to get relief at lower doses, though - 1800mg a day is often mentioned.

Glad you are getting some relief with it, Steph. :)
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

I am up to 2700 mg neurontin a day and things are pretty good. I haven't had the clitoral pain for 2 weeks now. I do have to have babysitters during the week to lift the kids; if I avoid sitting (except for short rides in the car) and lifting, I do pretty good. Just hard to do with the little ones. I do take 2 percocets a day for my coccyx pain; my PT noted my deviated coccyx, as in the MRI, so she works on that most times.

I am going to try 60 mg of Cymbalta twice daily. I had depression before this started, and wow has it ever skyrocketed with PN. So, hopefully it will both help with nerve pain and my low moods.

xx cari
PN after using pickaxe doing yardwork 6/11
Potter MRI: Scar tissue abutting L pudendal.
Hibner consult 10/11 w/ plan: 2 mo. PT
No meds work for me
PRF X 3 times in Denver ( was pain free for 5 months after second)
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Cari, it's great to hear you sounding a little more upbeat. I'm glad neurontin is help you. ;)

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
rick

Post by rick »

Hello,

I do take 180 mg of Cymbalta each morning. I reached some pain relief at 120 but more at 180.

I also have taken up to 1500 mg of Lyrica at the same time, now 600 mg.

I find that the 180 mg dose of Cymbalta also remediates much of my depression symptoms, secondary to severe sleep
disturbances; alpha wave intrusion, insomnia and severe sleep apnea.

I had tried Neurontin before changing to Lyrica, had reached 5400 mg with only slight decrease in pain. I have heard
that a minimum of 4500 mg Neurontin daily for any significant response to PN symptoms.

At 600 mg of Lyrica I have significant pain at the tip of my penis. In that I will be losing my health insurance June 30th
I have to discontinue Lyrica and Cymbalta. I continue to look for alternative medications.

Rick
donstore

Post by donstore »

Rick, I am sorry to hear that you are losing your insurance. That really sucks. Why America continues to be the only developed western nation that fails to take care of all it's people (Including proprietary drugs) is beyond me. Here you have be completely broke to get Medicaid if you are too young for Medicare. Hopefully thing will improve when the new healthcare law kicks in.

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
Laura

Post by Laura »

Rick I am so sorry that you are losing your insurance.

Don, I couldn't agree with you more. It is shameful anyone should have to worry about health care in the supposedly richest nation in the world. We need to get rid of the insurance companies and have medicare for all!
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

rick wrote: I have to discontinue Lyrica and Cymbalta. I continue to look for alternative medications.

Rick
This is very bad news Rick. :( You've had such good results with these medications for so long it must be scary to think of switching to something else.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”