Aetna Won't, Will Medicare?

Discuss here about Medical Disability claims and Insurance possibilities for PN treatment options
GraceUnderFire

Aetna Won't, Will Medicare?

Post by GraceUnderFire »

Well, first I went through months of appeals with Aetna regarding getting pudendal decompression surgery from Dr. Dellon. He was out of network and even though he was the closest doctor to me that did the surgery, they ran me around in circles. I got totally frustrated with them and went to Dr. Echenberg as they required. Even Dr. Echenberg said I need to have the pudendal decompression surgery and recommended Dr. Conway (an Aetna participating provider). Great, right? Well, apparently not. Now Aetna is denying based on the surgery being experimental. I am SO frustrated.

I am, unfortunately but gratefully, on Social Security Disability, but I do not have Medicare. Before I go down that road (since I signed something saying I did not want Medicare) I am wondering . . . has anyone had Medicare pay for their pudendal decompression surgery?

Thank you :)
Grace
Woke screaming from ab hyst 6/08
Diagnosed w/PN, ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neuralgias 1/09
3 PN blocks w/Dr Quesada
Rt side TIR, ilioinguinal neurectomy & vestibulectomy 5/09 Dr Conway
Left side TIR 2/10 Dr Conway
Potter MRI 9/10 and consultation w/Loretta & Dr Hibner 12/10
Bilateral ilioinguinal, iliohypogastric, genitofemoral release w/Dr. Hashemi Aug 2011 left & Sept rt
Bilateral TG surgery w/Dr. Conway will be in January 2012
nyt

Re: Aetna Won't, Will Medicare?

Post by nyt »

Medicare will NOT pay for Dr. Dellon has he does not participate with Medicare. A physician has to have a Medicare number and they have to submit the claim for Medicare. My primary insurance has paid for the majority of my pudendal surgery with Dr. Hibner and I'm waiting to see if Medicare will pay the co-pays.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Grace, I think there is too much literature published on the TG approach for it to be considered experimental. You should have a good chance at appealing it since Dr. C is now using the TG approach. There are some articles here: http://pudendalhope.org/node/23

Lots of people have had TG surgery paid for by medicare but like nyt said it would have to be the right doc.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
elija

Post by elija »

Sometimes it's scary to have Medicare choose your doctor for you. I get really nervous when I go to a doctor that I don't know. Copays can be really expensive, so I totally understand the need to switch docs if Medicare says so. I just wish short term medical insurance paid the full bill rather than a percentage of it.

Return to “INSURANCE & DISABILITY ISSUES”