Dr Chris Wong

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Hetty

Dr Chris Wong

Post by Hetty »

Hi
Has anyone seen or heard of Dr Chris Wong at Bristol hospital ?
Would love to know of any experiences, good bad or otherwise.
Thanks
Have had 3 nerve blocks and am nearly pain free !
adg1403

Re: Dr Chris Wong

Post by adg1403 »

Hetty

I had PN decompression surgery in Bristol just over a month ago - Mr Wong was my surgeon. I found him good to deal with, he explained in a very clear and matter of fact way what was going to happen, gave me plenty of opportunity to check my understanding and to ask questions. He also came to see me when I was waking up in the recovery room to let me know how the surgery had gone.

If there's anything specific you'd like to know, then please feel free to send me a private message.

Andrew
Woke up one day in February 2004 wth PN symptoms - cause not known. Numerous drugs, epidurals and nerve blocks (incl CT guided) later, PNE diagnosed in early 2010. Decompression surgery (TG) undertaken at Frenchay Hospital, Bristol in October 2011. Currently under care of Dr Gareth Greenslade, Pain Consultant, Frenchay Hospital.
Hetty

Post by Hetty »

Hi Andrew
Thanks for that, good to hear your thoughts, sounds like a good man to work with.
I still have 1 more nerve block to try, if that doesn't work out I am being referred to Dr Wong.
I may have more questions in another month or so. I will send you a PM. Thankyou very much for being so kind.
Hope you are recovering well : )
Hetty
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

The few details I have read here about Dr Wong have always been about him being pleasant and kind. He trained with Professor Robert in Nantes France a few years ago.
Take care Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
adg1403

Post by adg1403 »

Hi Hetty

I hope the course of nerve blocks work for you. I also had a course of three blocks, and whilst they offered no/little pain relief, it did at least confirm the diagnosis of pudendal nerve entrapment, which the surgery has borne out.

Do let us know how you get on. I'm recovering slowly, still nowhere close to being able to sit, but I can walk (hobble) reasonably well, and getting slightly better each day. Never has the phrase 'time is a great healer' been truer!

Andrew
Woke up one day in February 2004 wth PN symptoms - cause not known. Numerous drugs, epidurals and nerve blocks (incl CT guided) later, PNE diagnosed in early 2010. Decompression surgery (TG) undertaken at Frenchay Hospital, Bristol in October 2011. Currently under care of Dr Gareth Greenslade, Pain Consultant, Frenchay Hospital.
Hetty

Post by Hetty »

Hi Andrew
I hope it continues to get better for you. I know what you mean about slowly slowly.
I have started to walk around the house. I am over the moon about being upright for 19 mins this morning without pain !
I spend 98% of my time lying down , I figured being able to walk was something I should master before trying sitting.

Having said that I just got a togu cushion I ordered from amazon UK in the post this morning.
It's two pads with a nice gap in the middle that are air filled ( you get a pump to choose inflation level ).
I am going to place it on the seat of a kneeling chair. Do you have such a chair ? I find the angle means the perineum is not in contact with anything , and the weight through the knees means you don't feel so much pressure through your seat. Im thinking with the air cushion this will make it more comfortable and make sure the base of the spine is not rested on.

Hope you find something comfortable and can get a sit down for a few minutes

Best wishes

Hetty x
adg1403

Post by adg1403 »

Hi Hetty

Good that you're able to walk a bit, can't be much fun being laid down most of the time. Without wishing to sound like Chairman Mao, even small steps are worth recognising as achievements.

I have got one of the cushions you've got, which I bought chiefly on the strength of Calluna's post about it. I've yet to fully christen it though - still have too much pain from the surgery to contemplate trying to sit at all, but based on the pain I had pre-surgery, I know that the cushion will be helpful when I am able to sit, although am looking to keep sitting to a minimum, at least for now. I don't have a kneeling chair - I've heard mixed reports about them, and given the nerve and muscle pain I have in my upper legs at present, not sure one would particularly help me right now, but it's a topic for my post surgery discussion with the surgeon next month.

I'm coping not sitting at the moment, but at some point I will be returning to work, where it will be an issue. Fortunately we've got a really good occupational health team, so I'm sure they'll be able to sort something out for me.

Keep taking it steady - do you have a date for your third nerve block yet?

Regards,

Andrew
Hetty

Post by Hetty »

Hi Andrew

Really hope you get to test that cushion soon.

When I was able for standing for work I used a tall chest of drawers as one 'desk', and I use a toy box upside down on the dining table to make a good workstation. I've seen the you tube advert for the Ergatron Workfit station. Looks much slicker than my toy box ! No idea of cost though.

Have a review next week, so will see what the verdict is then. Am of course hoping for a miracle between now and then ; )
Actually am pretty happy with the few extra minutes, it all adds up, soon I'll be doing a whole day !

Hetty

Return to “SURGERY”