PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
carolynm

Re: PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Post by carolynm »

Stargazer,

I had those same symptoms and the only reason I called it PGAD is that I always felt on the verge of an orgasm (humiliating, really....), which made it impossible to move around and do much of anything.

Loretta at Dr. Hibner's examined me and said yes, in fact, if I did have an orgasm while my pelvic floor is in spasm like it was at the time, it would indeed be very painful.

cm
PN after using pickaxe doing yardwork 6/11
Potter MRI: Scar tissue abutting L pudendal.
Hibner consult 10/11 w/ plan: 2 mo. PT
No meds work for me
PRF X 3 times in Denver ( was pain free for 5 months after second)
StarGazer

Post by StarGazer »

carolynm wrote:Stargazer,

I had those same symptoms and the only reason I called it PGAD is that I always felt on the verge of an orgasm (humiliating, really....), which made it impossible to move around and do much of anything.

cm
I have never felt the sensation of being on the verge of orgasm, just symptoms similar to what I would have under arousal combined with pain and throbbing in that area. I am finding it all very confusing to figure it out. I thought maybe what I had was simply my own fault for pushing when having a bowel movement, but noticed a distant lack of interest when I have tried to describe it to doctors - my GP, a GYN and a CRS. I soak every morning in a Sitz Bath, but it does not seem to make it better, have to say. I try not to let myself get down, but it can get difficult to bear.
DoubleEdgedSword

Post by DoubleEdgedSword »

Stargazer, does the pain ever go away and you're left with just the feelings of arousal? How long has the pain been there for you?

I always have the arousal, I've had it for more than 5.5 months now. However I do get the pain cycles too. First one lasted a few days and I didn't want my husband to touch me and could barely touch myself to bathe, use the washroom or *ahem* relieve the feelings of arousal. The next cycle of pain was a few weeks later, and lasted several days longer than the first one. Finding relief was too painful and while the Sitz baths did help a bit, wiping or towel drying was excruciating.

I'm in a prolonged pain cycle now. The last one disappeared for only a few days before this one came on and while the feelings of arousal have diminished somewhat with all I've been going through, they're still there.

I was just curious if anyone has experienced pain cycles lasting longer each time? I still haven't tried the Lyrica, but just might after work tomorrow night.

I also have to go to court in the morning for my intruder's sentencing. I gave a Victim Impact Statement to Vic Services, so his lawyer and the judge will have seen it by now. I only hope it will make a difference in his sentencing and my pain and suffering won't be for nothing.. It's going to be strange seeing him again, but my friends all assure me he won't recognize me with my clothes on.. :lol: I think I need to do this for myself to move on from the place I find myself in now..
On the road of discovery to see what is causing my PGAD.
marg

Post by marg »

Lernica,
I love the extra image of us all being pain-free, you've got me wondering what could happen if I put this on a "Christmas Wish List", let's face it, we've all tried every other silly idea to find answers
marg

Post by marg »

Hi Stargazer, welcome, I have PGAD and when I read your comments I was very much reminded of the first paragraph of my own "symptom history" that I put together to take to medicos in search of answers. Browse this site and see what you find that is comparable to yourself, it may help you discover or dismiss your own condition
Marg
reckless

Post by reckless »

I kind of have this. It's like a pressure that I get in my perineum and even after masturbating it's still there. However when I sit down and the pain kicks in the arousal feeling goes.
marg

Post by marg »

Hi everyone, I have a question that I would appreciate some feedback on. I have noticed that my PGAD gets a lot worse on cold days and I was wondering if anyone else had the same. My 'team' at the hospital raise their eyebrows at this statement but they don't dismiss it. Where I live a lovely warm day can change abruptly and the temperature plummets by anything up to 20 degrees (celsius) and I notice the change in my symptoms just as abruptly. It is not that I get any lengthy time of relief when it's warm but there is a definate improvement ... too weird or what ???
Marg
DoubleEdgedSword

Post by DoubleEdgedSword »

Hi Marg,

I haven't yet had my PGAD through the winter or any cold weather, so it'll be something I'll look for now. It's just getting colder here now so I'll keep it in mind and let you know if I notice a difference.

I just took my first Lyrica so I'm monitoring myself to see what side effects it tosses to me.. Hoping it's not more depression.. :(

I went to court Thursday morning to attend the sentencing hearing of my intruder. Unfortunately his lawyer couldn't make it so sent a representative, who asked for an adjournment. It's being put over until December 16th, but I plan to attend that date too. I haven't decided to read my vicitim statement myself, but I'm hoping maybe the Crown attorney will read it. I saw the intruder today in the prisoner's box. He glanced my way kinda like "Hmm, where do I know you from?" and I stared him down without blinking. I was rather proud of myself for being able to do that.
On the road of discovery to see what is causing my PGAD.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Marg, maybe you feel worse when it's cold because you tense up more in cold weather? Maybe it's just me but I feel more relaxed in warm weather.

DES, sounds like a very stressful situation for you. Good for you for staying strong through the court hearing today. ;)
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
marg

Post by marg »

Hi girls,
Des, it must have been a bit of a let down having the adjournment but on the bright side you could call it a reheasal, and from what you've said you about seeing the intruder the worst part is over, well done !! Keep positive about the Lyrica, we never know when we just might 'strike gold' with meds. I have been through so many different ones but have found Endep is my friend, doesn't knock out the PGAD but deals with some of the other distracting symptoms and anything is better than nothing. Good luck with the 16th December .... you sure must be looking forward to saying goodbye to 2011 !!!!
Violet .. I definately agree with you about tensing up in the cold, and it's not that I'm super-conscious of the climate, it usually is just an afterthought when I'm having a big flare up that I have noticed the coincidence. I'm going to Thailland again for a holiday next year so I will hope to have a few days free of discomfort, but on the other hand, I just might have found my cure by then and I'll be in the 'success story' section. Trust me, if the power of positive thinking helps I will be normal again one day :D
Thanks for your responses
Marg

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”