Nerve block question

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
reckless

Nerve block question

Post by reckless »

I'm currently having physiotherapy and doing stretches for my suspected PNE.

I will give it another month or so. If I see no improvement I will do a nerve block.

My question is how do you feel after a nerve block if it is successful? From what I have read it makes you numb in that area. One of my problems is that my libido is not the same as it was before the problems started. I feel a constant tightness in my perineum and my orgasms do not feel right. If I sit down for quite some time the tightness feeling goes away and is replaced by pain and my libido is completely gone.

If the nerve block makes you numb does it also remove libido because the pudendal nerve is responsible for that from what I have read. Or does it help libido?
calluna

Re: Nerve block question

Post by calluna »

The numbness from the local anaesthetic in the nerve block does not last long, usually just an hour or two, so I don't think you need to worry about what it will do to your libido. The point is that if someone gets pain relief with a nerve block - for any amount of time - then that nerve is definitely what is causing the pain.

The long term effects come from the steroid which is often given together with the local, the idea is that it helps inflammation to settle and accelerates healing. Some people get good results, some don't. Quite often there is a bit of a flare as the steroid can initially cause some irritation.

So - how you feel after a nerve block, if it is successful - initially you feel pain relief, numbness instead of pain. This wears off, in the same way as a local at the dentist wears off, and the long term effects kick in over time, hopefully.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

I have a nerve block related question... have the anti-inflammatory steroids ever cured anyone...? or at least given like months of relief...? I made an appointment with Dr. Jordan in Santa Monica and I am probably going to drive myself even more in debt and I just want to make sure there is at least a chance of long term pain relief.
http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4792&p=35398#p35398
Read this post, it will likely explain everything.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

In my 7 years of reading the forums I've only heard of several people getting permanent relief from nerve blocks but I'm sure there are people who get better who never come and post . Can you ask Dr. Jordan what success rates he's seen?

Good luck with your block!

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Well I do hope I at least get some short term relief. I firmly believe I have pudendal nerve damage in the scrotal area from wearing a cup when I played football so I'm hoping that a block directly into that area will bring me relief... I'm afraid it won't be that easy as things never are lol but I have faith. I will be sure to ask him plenty of questions and report back here with the answers. And if I get cured I will be sure to be back here to help others.

Regards,
Bobby
http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4792&p=35398#p35398
Read this post, it will likely explain everything.
StarGazer

Post by StarGazer »

Hope it goes well for you, Bobby. Constant pain is so debilitating - speaking from my own experience.

Love your little drawings, BTW.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”