Pudendal guy in California

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Alan

Re: Pudendal guy in California

Post by Alan »

Lo and behold, my nerve pain doctor in Los Angeles may have found the problem for my pain. I had a nerve block with steroids injected at the base of my spine this morning, with the aid of a catscan. After the injection, my pain doctor asked if I had injured my tailbone in the past. I told him that I had done alot of heavy lifting, and moved some seriously heavy furniture upstairs. I also did a lot of snow boarding last winter, and could have possibly fell on my stitting area. Yes, I am a very high strung person when healthy and am on the move constantly. Well, he found a crack in my tailbone. This can cause inflamation, nerve pain and problems with sitting. At last, I 'think' that a reason for the pain has been found. Even if it hurts for some time, I can live with that, just knowing what the problem is, and knowing that treatment and 'time' can resolve the problem. Never give up hope (and a lot of prayer) (:
pn_person

Post by pn_person »

wow, that is great

so what is the treatment he recommends for a broken tailbone and the related inflammation, and nerve issues??

take care
donstore

Post by donstore »

[quote="pn_person"]wow, that is great

so what is the treatment he recommends for a broken tailbone and the related inflammation, and nerve issues??

take care[/quote

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
Alan

Post by Alan »

Don't know at this time. WIll contact him next week. He asked me if anyone had ever taken an x ray of my tail bone and I told him no. I did have an MRI at the beginning of my pain 7 mos ago. But, it showed nothing unusual OR no one thought of looking at my tailbone. Needless to say, my pain doctor looked disgusted(at the incompetence) of Kaiser. But, no wonder I hurt! There are a lot of nerves in the tail bone and they can cross talk to the pudendal nerve, sciatic, etc. At least we have an idea of what is wrong & the annoying pudendal sensations in the private area are gone. Only have rectal pain. But, I have Vicadin and marguirettas for that. :) My wife broke her tail bone when she delivered our son three years ago and she hurt for two years. I guess when you live with someone long enough you become more and more like that person.
donstore

Post by donstore »

Keep us posted on your progress, Alan. Good luck.

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
Alan

Post by Alan »

Well, my tailbone apparently isn't the cause of my pain. My doctor thought he had seen a crack in it while giving me a sympothetic nerve block, however x rays shows that it isn't misaligned. However, since the block four weeks ago I CAN sit nearly all day long without pain! I still have to pace myself though, as I can not walk more than half of a mile(without resting) or lift anything real heavy without the nerves spasming out in rectal area, then pain moving up through my genitals. But, I did find out something that 'may' be interesting to fellow sufferers out there. My new pain doctor in L.A. is aggressive and intelligent. He is going to try using a newly developed technology used for chronic pain called pulsed radiofrequency ablation. It has been around for over twenty years, but is becoming more advanced for chronic pain. You can look it up on line & there are pain clinics throughout the country using this. Apparently energy is directed at the nerves, thus diminishing nerve pain senses, and can relieve pain anywhere from six months to two years! And of course, treatments can be repeated as needed. I will keep you informed, as I have an appointment to go back to my doctor on January 11th.
calluna

Post by calluna »

Good to hear of your improvement, Alan. Several people have reported good results from the pulsed RF - I hope things go well for you too.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Alan wrote:But, I did find out something that 'may' be interesting to fellow sufferers out there. My new pain doctor in L.A. is aggressive and intelligent. He is going to try using a newly developed technology used for chronic pain called pulsed radiofrequency ablation. It has been around for over twenty years, but is becoming more advanced for chronic pain. You can look it up on line & there are pain clinics throughout the country using this. Apparently energy is directed at the nerves, thus diminishing nerve pain senses, and can relieve pain anywhere from six months to two years! And of course, treatments can be repeated as needed. I will keep you informed, as I have an appointment to go back to my doctor on January 11th.
Hey Alan, glad things are improving. Also I live about 45 min from L.A. In Ventura, let me know how the RF ablation goes as it is something I have been researching myself and was thinking about giving it a shot. It sounds like it also has diagnosis possibilities.

Good luck!
http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4792&p=35398#p35398
Read this post, it will likely explain everything.
shawnmellis

Post by shawnmellis »

Hi Alan, I know 2 people whose pain has improved from doing Pulsed Low Frequency Ablation, which you are mentioning. I think one was done in San Francisco CA Pain Clinic. I have always been interested in this, and I am also not sure if the nerve ablation should be tried after surgery or prior to surgery. I think some PNE surgeon said that the implanted nerve pain pump (something different than nerve ablation) should only be done after surgery has been tried, but wondering if nerve ablation should be tried before or after surgery. Good Luck. keep us posted
Shawn
Bringing Help Awareness Education to Patients & Doctors about PNE through Videos at http://www.YouTube.com/PudendalNerve & PudendalHope.com Please tell Dr. Oz to cover topic of PNE by going to http://www.doctoroz.com/contact Started 1/2010. Initial urinary tract infection in 1/2010. Medication: Diazepam, Tramadol. 4 nerve blocks. physical reinjury 8/2010. 7/2011 Potter MRI Varices dorsal branch 8/23/11 Diagnosis Entrapment of Dorsal Branch Dr. Lee Dellon There's Always Hope!
PN-SufferVT

Post by PN-SufferVT »

Shawn, I have made this comment before on your post.... be careful with your use of the word ablation. In low thermal PULSED RF the goal is not to ablate the nerve. Radiofrequency ablation of the nerve is different, but more commonly used because on clinical data and insurance coverage (because of the clinical data)
PN started in June 2009, quickly pain level went to 10. PN probably caused from long hours sitting in car, followed by weightlifting/sports daily. My pain level are now daily between 1 and 4. I do not know if I have true entrapment, but definitely know I have neuralgia of the PN.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”