laptop-just sharing my happiness :)

Here is a place for social chats with special attention to support and non medical discussions. We need a place to chill out, where we can distract from our pain and enjoy lighter moments, share a joke or funny moment with others.
HerMajesty

laptop-just sharing my happiness :)

Post by HerMajesty »

WOO HOO! 1st laptop ever for my technologically deprived self. What does this mean to me? Right now I am typing in bed; 1st time since I got those useless piriformis injections a month ago, that I can be on a computer without some nasty painful sciatica. Everyone with PN should have one of these!
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Karyn

Re: laptop-just sharing my happiness :)

Post by Karyn »

Congrat, Hermajesty!!!!
Anything to make you more comfortable is a GOOD thing! :D
Happy typing and surfing!
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
kat

Post by kat »

Agreed. My laptop is my only link to the outside world and I'm so glad it has allowed me to hear all on this site have to say. I know I would not be in such a happy place both physically and mentally without my laptop and the people it connects me to.

Kathy
Born with pudendal and obtorator neuralgia. 32 years of being misdiagnosed.
Surgery with Conway 7/14/10. Internal burning cured!
Currently in PT for many pelvic floor issues due to having PN for so long.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Welcome HerMajesty to the Laptop gang. Its so much easier to type lying down rather than trying to sit and cause more pain.
I use a table in front of my couch which swivels around so I can type and lie down.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
gracie

Post by gracie »

Yay for you! I find it so much easier to multi task. I can watch TV, be on my laptop, & eat a bowl of ice cream all from the comfort of my couch with my feet up on the hassock. Don't know what I'd do without it. Congrats!
PN Pain started 12/08
Numerous nerve blocks
Diagnosed 6/09 - Pudendal nerve blocks
TIR Surgery 2/10
Still have PN pain and still looking for cure
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

yes, laptops rock! And the mini netbooks are awesome. I have one that's only 3 pounds so it doesn't push down on my pelvis while I type (for some reason that bugs me) It's an EEE PC and it was about 300 bucks. :) It has word and internet and is awesome.
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

Ahh, that's interesting pianogal! I'm getting an EEE too as my desktop pc's crashed, glad to know you love yours! I'm having to craftily filch my son's laptop to keep connected till the EEE arrives. Got to have a pc of some kind, it's a lifeline in times of trouble (and when are we not troubled!).

HerMaj, though I never had full-blown sciatica, for a couple of years I had pinching of the sciatic nerve because of a piriformis muscle with trigger points in it. Sometimes those injections can irritate the very muscle its trying to help. You could always try trigger point massage to see if it helps you, feel free to PM if you want.

Take care,
Birdlife.

Diagnosed PNE at ischial spine.
1st double nerve block, National Hospital, London - relief for 1hr.
2nd double nerve block, National Hospital, London - no relief.
Currently self-treating with triggerpoint massage - big improvement all round.

Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
2 -Xray guided double nerve blocks -Dr.Baranowski - no relief.
TP self-massage reduced piriformis pressure on p nerve.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Feb '15. Applying to be referred again to Dr G.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Thanks for the offer Birdlife!
Actually the laptop was what I needed; I stopped exacerbating the sciatica for awhile and now it is gone and I can sit normally again. I had been advised it was teporary anyhow from the piriformis injections I got; but meanwhile it was driving me up a wall and I couldn't get my work done.
My piriformis is too much of a mess to respond to manual trigger point work, TP injections of B-12, and apparently steroids as well...working on getting botox approved by the insurance now.
Thanks again!
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.

Return to “SOCIAL DISCUSSIONS & FUN”