DR Potter Fees

Discussion of magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance neurography
BillieF

DR Potter Fees

Post by BillieF »

Question re Dr Potter...Can anyone tell me how much Dr Potter's MRI costs. Total including any fees the hospital bills and Dr Potters fees. I have insurance, but am not sure how much if any they will cover. I want to be prepared for the total cost, in case I have to pay. And then appeal my insurance decision. Thanks.
Avid tennis player and bicyclist, at one time a runner. Have worked out with weights. Currently coaching tennis. Onset PNE - 1996. Surgery with Dr Robert in Nantes - 2003. Little if any relief from surgery. Perhaps due to number of years of entrapment. Have tried every type of pain med available. Either can't tolerate or they work for a while and then quit working. Currently trying Nucynta and Oxycodone.
donstore

Re: DR Potter Fees

Post by donstore »

About $3000.
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
BillieF

Post by BillieF »

Thanks for the info.
Avid tennis player and bicyclist, at one time a runner. Have worked out with weights. Currently coaching tennis. Onset PNE - 1996. Surgery with Dr Robert in Nantes - 2003. Little if any relief from surgery. Perhaps due to number of years of entrapment. Have tried every type of pain med available. Either can't tolerate or they work for a while and then quit working. Currently trying Nucynta and Oxycodone.
Faith

Post by Faith »

donstore wrote:About $3000.
Don,

Was this before or after insurance? HSS is in-network on my insurance, but Dr. Potter is not. What were her fees to read the MRI, do you remember?

I'm scheduled for May, but trying to decide if it's really worth it. Not sure I'm going to have surgery anyways.

You getting geared up for your Hibner appointment? I hope it goes well! Keep us updated.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
BillieF

Post by BillieF »

Good question Faith. I just checked my insurance and my coverage is the same as yours.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Faith wrote: HSS is in-network on my insurance, but Dr. Potter is not.
At the time I went to NY, I had BC/BS PPO. My referral was for a 3T MRI - not a visit with Dr. Potter. So, like you - HSS was covered in-network by my insurance but not Dr. Potter.
The MRI was covered 100%.
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
donstore

Post by donstore »

I had Healthnet HMO and they paid $360 (their in-network contract rate for a pelvic MRI) which left me with just under $2000 to pay HSS out-of-pocket. I also had to pay Dr. Potter's reading fee which was $450. I had a 1.5T MRI due to my metal hip (Dr. Potter said the 3T would produce too many artifacts). She was in the room with the tech while the images came in because they did another pass at an area she found to be particularly suspicious. She met with me after and we discussed the images. The 3T might cost more. I'm sure someone at HSS could give you that info. I would definitely try to sort this out with your insurance beforehand.

Faith - Thanks for your good wishes as my big day approaches. I hope you are finding some relief as you search for answers before pulling the trigger on surgery. I am also not sure about surgery as well since 600 mg. of Lyrica and 30-40 mg. of oxycodone per day have allowed me to keep working. I would still like to seee what Dr. Hibner has to say and to be further along in the process if things get worse.

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
numb

Post by numb »

Hi ALL,
Does anyone know about the procedure code for Potter's MRI? I learned from my insurance that neither Potter nor the hospital are in my network and thus my insurance will only cover 50% of the allowable rate. This is very discouraging. I have to fly out from the West Cost. With the traveling cost and out of pocket cost, i am not sure whether or not i can afford it.
BillieF

Post by BillieF »

I have BS of California.

HSS charged $2364.00. My out of pocket was $207.00. Code: 72195

Dr Potter charged $458. My out of Pocket was $11.41.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Maybe you could consider having the MRN if you live in California and if your insurance would cover it.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “MRI/MRN”