An amitriptyline cream is in the market, benefiting me

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
garth

Re: An amitriptyline cream is in the market, benefiting me

Post by garth »

Hi Chris

I've been using it daily for last 6 months or so rubbing it on the perianal area and I do feel much better. Though I've been doing other therapies as well I feel the cream had the most to do with the improvement cause other things I was doing earlier as well. I am using up one tube a week. One tube is 15g volume and has amitriptyline (4%) ketamine (2%). That's 40 mg ketamine daily for me.

I also heard about the side-effects of ketamine but I have not felt anything different really since I've been using it. My doctor didn't point those out when I began using it but someone else did lately. I'm going to be asking my doc when I meet him next. So I googled and Wikipedia does talk of some nasty side-effects including "Chronic use of ketamine may lead to cognitive impairments including memory problems" which is scary. But with the cream you're taking ketamine topically and not orally or intravenously, so systemic absorption is lower. The NIH study done for the cream http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16202956 also reports there was no significant systemic absorption of ketamine or amitriptyline, and in that study patients used the cream for 6-12 months. I also checked with another doctor here who was of the same opinion. You could take more opinions if you want to start off with the cream, and let me know too if you find anything significant for side-effects.

I only know one manufacturer that is in India. In fact when I was making inquiries sometimes in 2010 I figured there was no such product anywhere in the world and only this Indian company was doing clinical trials for it. I'm not sure if it's been launched somewhere else already. But if you want to buy it from here, I can help you. In fact I did manage to send a lot of 10 tubes to Laura in America and she sent me a cheque. I addressed the parcel to myself and attached my own prescription. But if you can get a prescription, that is better. I was even thinking of asking the manufacturer if they can send it directly to those interested.

You can also ask a compounding pharmacy near you to make it for you (sadly they're very rare in India). Oh and there is the option of making it at home. Mary Lynch the researcher in Canada who did that study recommended the PLO gel to me which you can buy online http://www.plo-gel.com/Main/store.php and mix amitriptyline and ketamine into it. Their product literature has the measurements. You'll have to buy amitriptyline and ketamine tablets and grind them with a mortar and pestle and mix it all up. You could add gabapentin too, and if you want you can keep the ketamine out.

The Ketriplin tubes that I have mention its for external use only. But you can ask Mary Lynch if it can be used internally. She did answer all my questions when I was researching about the cream. http://www.canadianpainsociety.ca/en/contact.html

Let me know if you want to buy it from here. You can return the favors some other time :)

Siddharth
Last edited by garth on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
garth

Post by garth »

The PLO product literature has the formula for Amitriptyline+Ketamine+Gabapentin gel I just remembered.

http://www.plo-gel.com/Main/ebook/PLOGe ... ngVolI.pdf
Abbeystead

Post by Abbeystead »

I dont know if Im posting in the right place as I am new to this site. I am very interested in the cream that Siddarth from India has mentioned for PD Pain. Am going out of my mind with this pain and my life is non existent. Does anyone know where I can get it, or get it for me and I will be only too willing to reimburse them.
Many thanks.
Avril, Liverpool, UK
Abbeystead

Post by Abbeystead »

Siddarth,India or anybody else. Where can I get this cream in UK. Am desperate and my life is non existent.

Abbeystead,Liverpool, UK
ezer

Post by ezer »

In the U.S. there is Zonalon which is a Doxepin topical cream. Doxepin has essentially the same properties as Amitriptyline for the treatment of neuropathy. It has been developed for eczema but is prescribed for nerve pain also. Maybe it is available in the UK.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
Abbeystead

Post by Abbeystead »

Thank you for very kindly answering my query. As I had never heard of this cream before coming on the site I expect it will be very hard to find here in Liverpool,Uk, but will keep on trying. spent the day in bed all day yesterday and pain wasn't too bad when I got up this morning but as soon as I started moving around it has come back with a vengeance. Thank you,thank you very much, your reply is much appreciated.

Abbeystead
ezer

Post by ezer »

Abbeystead,
In any case, any local compounding pharmacy can make the formulation for you if you have a script from your doctor. I got prescribed a Ketamin cream a few years ago. Usually doctors do not have a problem writing a script for compounds as the risk of systemic problems is extremely low when the medication is delivered topically.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
calluna

Post by calluna »

Abbeystead - Doxepin cream is readily available here in the UK. (That's the website that GP's use to print out information pages, by the way.)

It is prescription only, so you'll need to go and see your GP.

Please let us know if it helps. :)
garth

Post by garth »

Abbeystead

Sorry to hear about your condition. You have the option of a compounding pharmacy and Doxepin cream as ezer and calluna have posted. If you want Ketriplin from India send me your address to garth17@gmail.com. I am thinking of making a trip to Ajanta Pharma's office when I'm back in Mumbai in a few days and see if they can take overseas orders. I also found a link that has the entire text of the journal article http://ih-fpr.eznp5.ihealthspot.com/Por ... c-pain.pdf. You could show it to your doctor to get his opinion if the cream is good for you and he can write you a prescription.

Do let us know.
garth

Post by garth »

I heard from somebody there is a company called Epicept that is doing clinical trials (now Phase III) for a cream called Amiket (4% amitriptyline / 2% ketamine) for peripheral neuropathic pain. And they have filed for fast track designation with US FDA.

http://ceplenecom.siteprotect.net/epice ... ct=epicept

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201202 ... -CIPN.aspx

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”