New Person with Pudendal Nerve Disorder

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
konedog4

Re: New Person with Pudendal Nerve Disorder

Post by konedog4 »

Thank you Rita and MNMom for your informative posts. I just had an MRI for an unrelated condition, and I called Dr. Antolak to see if we could also image the PN while I was in the tube. He said an MRI does not definitively show the PN entrapment areas, so he did not order it. I may be able to get an order from my Urologist for the St. Louis Park MRI. Unfortunately, my urologist, while a very intelligent man, does not have experience in PN related issues.

Rita, if you find a chair that works for you, I sure would like to know about it. Thanks.

Jim
ritak

Post by ritak »

Hey MNMOM and Jim, I am surprised that Dr Antolak would not tell you about the MRI that you could have in St Louis Park that could show an impingement. Are the injections and surgery the only diagnosis for that? I feel like there are conflicting opinions or I am reading too much and forgetting what I read :lol: It all seems confusing to me!
Jim,I will definitley let you know about the dental stools. I have been in contact with our reps and I will be trying out 2 stools. Both are saddle stools, one with a divided seat and one without. I have not heard what the pricing is on them yet, possibly 800.00-1000.00 is my guess.I already had to quit working one day a week due to this and I really want to continue to work my other 2 days. Anything that can help me get through my work day is worth it!
This is a tough condition. I have changed up my life hugely due to it as I am sure you have also.My husband beat cancer/chemo treatments last year so I guess I can do this. Up until a few years ago neither one of us had any medical issues. YIKES, we have been getting hit hard!
Hangin in there though.
Rita
perineal pain started may 2011
continue to take Tramadol daily, Vicodin as needed
Dr Antolak diagnosed PN in Jan 2012, not sure about his diagnosis
recomendations he gave me were injections....which I decided not to do
currently seeing Dr Chad Beiler for chiropractic treatment. all of my many practitioners have diagnosed me with pelvic instability, a rotated right leg and pelvis,femoralacetabular impingement left hip,muscle spasm in obturatur internus muscle
about 70% better
ritak

Post by ritak »

Hey Guys, If either of you ar eever looking into having Myofascial Release I know of a person that is excellant. I met her way back when while I also was doing massage therapy. She trained in that technique with John F Barnes. You can google him if you are unfamiliar with the technique.
She does do external and internal work of the pelvic floor. Her sessions run 200.00 but they are 4-5 hours in length. It is worth every penney and I dont have much these days due to working less and huge medical expenses from my husband and myself. I will be going back to see her in the future.
Her name is Pat Palmer and she works out of her Woodbury home. Her number is 651-501-5925.She is open to doing less time and different prices. She realizes there are some hurting people out there both physically and financially.
Take Care,
Rita
currently seeing Dr Chad Beiler for chiropractic treatment. all of my many practitioners have diagnosed me with pelvic instability, a rotated right leg and pelvis,femoralacetabular impingement left hip,muscle spasm in obturatur internus muscle
about 70% better
konedog4

Post by konedog4 »

Rita,

What is the goal of myofacial release as it relates to pudendal nerve compression? Is the purpose to break the scar tissue around the nerve? I am not familiar at all with the Barnes' technique.

Jim
ritak

Post by ritak »

Hey Jim, Here is my brief explanation in answer to your questions concerning Myofascial release technique as best as I can describe it. Fascia is tough connective tissue that runs throughout our body. When it looses its pliability it becomes restricted it is a source of tension to the body. It can lead to altered structural alignment, decresed strength, endurance, and coordination. Restoring mobility to the tissues in the area along with relaxing the muscles allows for alleviating neural tension in the area. If I could afford to have it done every 2 weeks or once a monthI know I would be a whole lot better. I am looking at a way to do this. Google John F Barnes for more info on this tecnique.
FYI, I will be meeting up with my rep at work and trying out a new chair. I will let you know how that works out. How long have you been doing dentistry if I may ask? I love the field but its hell on the body:) :D
Have a good day
Rita
about 70% better
ritak

Post by ritak »

Jim, FYI, I saw Beth Hoppe Stidham PT today at Metro Urology. Great appointment. She does not think I have PN. Maybe that its a bit irritated from my tight muscle and ligaments, my rotated pelvis and that My muscles are weak and not working together well. I will be seeing her every other week. I am hopeful that she is my ticket out of this mess and pain!!!!!
P.S. Good gut feeling on my part that I did not follow Dr Antolaks recomendations of injections. Really!
about 70% better
MNMom

Post by MNMom »

Rita,
I would love to hear what progress you make. Please let me know. Also curious as to why she didn't think you had PN? Has she had other patients with your symptoms that have been cured by PT?
I have switched PTs now to go to Edina and see Irene at MAPS. We'll see how that goes. The last pelvic pain PT I had was partially helpful but got me into trouble with some core strenghthening. I know my problem originated with adductor and OI tightness, I would love to think that resolving the myofascial trigger points would make my issues go away.
MNMom
ritak

Post by ritak »

MNMOM, I initially found Beth's name on the Pudendal Hope page for PT's that work with pelvic floor so she knows about the issues with all of that.Beth went by my symptoms and history. Even though I have severe pain in the perinium I dont have anal,vaginal or bladder function troubles. Pain is my main symptom and when it is bad it is BAD! The pudendal nerve govern the function of the anus vaginal and urinary/bladder in the body. I have a history of right foot, right and left hip issues,piriformus muscle and ligament imbalances. I did ballet till I was 35 and then lots of other exercise activities. Sprained my ankles as well as my right hamstring as a youth. I have spent 30 plus years bending over on a stool at my dental assisting job that I just now had to cut back on due to all of this. Beth feels that my trouble is with a muscle called the obturator internus. It runs next to the pififormus and the pudendal next to that. Its so hard to tell what is what.So My plan is to see her every 2 weeks and I am seeing Kelly,another PT that adjusts my whole spine. Beth is going to call Kelly and the two will work together to elliminate the pain and get my body back working properly. I have some pretty minimal exercises to do at home. Finally I have someone that I feel confident that I am on the right track. I am also glad I did not listen to the recomendations of Dr Antolak. I know my gut feelings are usually spot on but I dont always listen to them. Ihave a long road ahead of me I am sure. This took years to get this way.
I hope that your new PT does you some good. If you dont find a bit of relief in 3-4 sessions I say move to someone else. You need to make progress when working at physical therapy.I have been to enough PT's through the years( i am 57) that you just keep looking for that right person that will assist you in getting you well.Theya are out there for everyone. Dont give up or give in.Good luck!
Rita
about 70% better
MNMom

Post by MNMom »

Rita,
My symptoms sound very much like yours - I have no rectal, bladder or vaginal issues. I thought my problem was purely musculoskeletal b/c it started and was aggravated from running. This is why I've gone from orthopedic to orthopedic and not to an OB/GYN or urologist. The hip PT, which is glute and core strengthening, pushed me over the edge from having intermittent pain to being in full blown constant pain. I also believe my obturator internus and piriformus are causing me serious issues, but now I suspect it is b/c the pudendal nerve keeps forcing them into spasm. I don't want that to be the case, but I have to wonder... My recent pelvic pain PT some work on those muscles with minimal and short-term relief. However this has been going on for 3 years and I've seen 8 PTs now so I wonder if that will be a solution for me?
Please let me know how it goes for you. I did call Beth in Woodbury to find out if she knew of other PTs in the cities closer to me, which is how I found Irene who I start with next week. I can't drive and have to rely on others so the closer the better.
Good luck, keep me posted!
MNMom

P.S. I have also seen John Barnes certified myofascial therapists in the cities and it really is wonderful. I have not had internal work done with them though.
ritak

Post by ritak »

MNMOM, Yes our symptoms do sound familiar. I have learned from myself not to push my body too far which I am guilty of still,dang... The exercises I am being given now are hardly anything. If I do just a bit too much I pay for it.I have to remember I am sort of broken and its one step at a time. I am learnign lots about patience. Thats crummy your PT pushed you too hard. It is hard to find good people to work with you in your location and within your insurance etc... I always try and stay on my side of town.I cant be driving all over creation. That is a stress all in itself so I know how you must feel needing to find a driver for everywhere you go.I hope that Irene is the ticket for you.Three years is a long time. Let me know how you do this week with her.
Rita
about 70% better

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”