dr. Allen gordon

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Chex

dr. Allen gordon

Post by Chex »

I have asked my dr. to refer me to Dr. allen gordon. He said that he would look into it. I am many hours away from Toronto. But I am done playing this game of pelvic and vulva pain. It has been a year. Does anyone know of how long the waiting list is and if I can somehow help my dr. with the refferal process?
Lernica

Re: dr. Allen gordon

Post by Lernica »

Hi Chex,

There is an 8-month wait to see Dr. Gordon. The Wasser pain clinic is overrun. It deals with all manner of chronic pain patients, not just pudendal. You have to get an info package from the clinic and then complete it and send it in. A few months later there is an orientation session for all new patients. There will be about 100 of you in a big room, listening to a presentation by a staff member. After you get through that, you wait for your appointment.

Where do you live? You can send me a PM if you like.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
DoubleEdgedSword

Post by DoubleEdgedSword »

Gosh, I sure hope we don't have to sit too long.. :lol:

I've completed my package and sent it in.. Now we cue the music from 'Final Jeopardy'..

I believe the doctors have to go online to refer their patients. Once that's completed, the doctor gets the package, and signs the appropriate places and gives it to the patient to fill out. Remember to photocopy it for yourself once you've filled it out..

My doctor was hesitant to refer me at first because of the 'complicated referral form'.. But once I reminded him that 'I'm suffering here, Doc', it wasn't too long before he referred me and got the package..

Good luck Chex..
On the road of discovery to see what is causing my PGAD.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Here's a link to the Wasser Clinic referral process: http://www.mountsinai.on.ca/care/pain_m ... /referrals,

If you think the doctor's referral letter is complicated, wait 'til you get the patient form! It's about 25 pages long and includes pain diagrams (where you indicate where you hurt). I guess you'll get the form in the mail once the Clinic gets your doctor's letter. You'll be added to the waiting list only after you complete the form AND attend the orientation session. Yes, cue the waiting music . . .

Good luck to both of you.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
DoubleEdgedSword

Yes, I've filled that form out and sent it in.. My doc had it waiting in his office when I went to renew my Lyrica.. That was the one I was talking about. I guess the doc was looking from his point of view that the referral process was complicated.. I was simply looking for relief someday! If he thinks filling out some complicated form to refer me to the Pain Management Centre was difficult, he should try being aroused for eight months (and toss in a few pain cycles to keep it interesting)! :lol:

Good thing the Jeopardy music is catchy.. Sounds like we could be listening to it awhile! ;)
Skylar

Post by Skylar »

For those who have to travel far for the Toronto appt, you can ask to skip the orientation meeting.
I did not attend that session. Travelling for many of us, me included, is very painful and an appointment date means a long 7 hour day or longer depending on traffic. I travel with ice packs.

As mentioned already part of the long wait is due to the sheer volume of patients they see. Sometimes after standing around for too long I just have to sit. In doing so I shift onto my left side bringing my legs up for support but their wee armed chairs in the exam rooms don't allow for this and the waiting room ones aren't much better. In the examination rooms there are those short exam beds but I think they are made out of granite!!! I've pointed these shortcomings out to staff in hopes that they will try to accommodate our needs better. I'd be happy to wait on a stretcher. ;)

Cue the music.......

Best of luck, FG
Unilateral pain began in 2009 from fall trauma.
Lernica

Re: Doctor's waiting rooms

Post by Lernica »

I don't sit in waiting rooms any more. After standing for half an hour, I unfurl my yoga mat on the floor and lay down on my back, using my portable seat cushion for head support. Then I bury my nose in a book to avoid the strange looks.
DoubleEdgedSword

:lol: You gotta do what you gotta do! Heeheehee!

I can sit, but I'm like a 3 year old with ADHD.. Can't sit still for too long unless it's slouched waaay down in my seat, so I'm practically lying down.. Might as well get me a yoga mat and do the same thing!
Chex

Post by Chex »

Well, I contacted the pain clinic and yes they got my referral finally. they will be sending me a patient package by mail.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

That's good, Chex. But you should, if you can, continue to explore avenues while you wait (and wait and wait) for your appointment with him. He will not, most likely, be "the answer" to your problem, but instead will act as a "point guard" to prescribe you drugs or to make referrals to out-of-country doctors. Thanks to this Forum, in many cases we (his patients) know as much (or more) about PN than he does. I have found that I still have to create my own game plan, so I only touch base with him once in a while (e.g, in order to get new prescriptions, referrals, or do paperwork for insurance.) REMEMBER, YOU ARE YOUR OWN BEST ADVOCATE!

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”