Medication for burning pain

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
PaulSa

Medication for burning pain

Post by PaulSa »

For anybody experiencing burning in the pelvic region and legs, what medication do you find works best? I'm currently taking 2100mg of Gabapentin but find that it does not control my burning (and occasional pain) just wondering what others are finding works best for them? I was prescribed some Oxycodone (which works) but I only use that for flare ups and don't want to make a habit of using it too frequently.
Lernica

Re: Medication for burning pain

Post by Lernica »

Have you tried a compounded ointment, 5% lidocaine and 6% gabapentin? Dr. Gordon prescribed it to me and it worked well. The pharmacy at Mt Sinai hospital compounds it, other pharmacies don't.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Anne

Post by Anne »

Did you try antidepressiva?
sam

Post by sam »

Have you tried lyrica (pregabalin)? It works so good for me, I am able to wake up without burning in the butt or perenium, I use it especially in the night to sleep, atleast my quality of sleep is better than before. My doctor told me you can go up to 300mg per day. Please start with 75 mg for a week and then slowly increase the dosage.
PaulSa

Post by PaulSa »

Anne wrote:Did you try antidepressiva?
This looks to be a German product, not sure what the equivalent would be here?
PaulSa

Post by PaulSa »

sam wrote:Have you tried lyrica (pregabalin)? It works so good for me, I am able to wake up without burning in the butt or perenium, I use it especially in the night to sleep, atleast my quality of sleep is better than before. My doctor told me you can go up to 300mg per day. Please start with 75 mg for a week and then slowly increase the dosage.
I was thinking of making the change but wonder how hard it would be or if there would be any side effects? Anyone make the switch from Gabapentin to Lyrica?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Lyrica is stronger than gabapentin, but gabapentin is effective too. A switch can be done, but it would be done slowly. Many also find effective an SNRI (e.g., Cymbalta, Savella) or tricyclic antidepressant (e.g., Amitriptilin).

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”