Can PN cause SIJD?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
Faith

Can PN cause SIJD?

Post by Faith »

I've been thinking and researching a lot about SIJD and PN. I understand how SIJD can cause PN, but can PN can cause SIJD? Stephanie Prendergast and associates say that patients with PN commonly have SIJD http://tinyurl.com/7f5uw4f. They say that myofascial trigger points in the pelvic floor can cause SIJD/low back pain http://tinyurl.com/6umpude and of course most people with PN have myofascial trigger points in their pelvis but how can a trigger point cause SIJD? Low back pain I agree with, but Sacroiliac joint dysfunction....how do myofascial trigger points in the levator ani or obturator internus cause the SI joint to have dysfunction? If that were the case then it seems like everyone with PN would have SIJD. Any thoughts?
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
sam

Re: Can PN cause SIJD?

Post by sam »

I know I got my SIJD a few months after my PN, so I think there is an interconnection between the two. With SIJD it is hard to do any physical exertion, even walking fast brings pain later, so my weight has increased a lot and my stomach muscles are sagging a lot like hernia, it was never like that before. Lyrica does brings me temporary relief but I am afraid where I am heading to with PN.
paulette

Post by paulette »

Sam,
For years, I thought it was SIJD pain I was experiencing when I walked. I even had the joint fused. I now understand that the increased pain from walking is from the piriformis muscle. Walking irritates the dumb thing. paulette
Faith

Post by Faith »

Paulette,

I read in Vicki Sims book and I think I saw it on Don Tigney's website that the piriformis originates from the ST ligament. Maybe that is why you continue to have piriformis pain since the ST ligament was cut and weaked during the TG surgery? I just found that interesting because I know some people continue to have piriformis pain post-op decompression. I hope you are feeling some better these days though?
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
sam

Post by sam »

Dear Paulette, thanks for your reply ,there are so many things going on inside our body and I just dont know if the pn surgery will bring any relief if I still have the piriformis syndrome, I know the piriformis syndrome is so painful it feels like a string pulling in the entire right side of my body from the hip. I hope you are feeling better, I find a lot of relief with lyrica, it gives me a significant pain relief which I had never felt before.
sam

Post by sam »

I am very sorry to interrupt this post, I just have one question. When we have these SIJD issues is it better to do surgery for Sijd and do the Pn surgery or the other way round. I am seriously considering surgery for PN but since I have these issues also I dont know which one to do first. I had been to an ortho and he was suggesting surgery for SIJD but I have pudendal issues also so everything confused me again.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Sam did the ortho surgeon tell you the risks and success rates for surgery for SIJD?
Faith wrote:I've been thinking and researching a lot about SIJD and PN. I understand how SIJD can cause PN, but can PN can cause SIJD?
The only thing I can think of is if you have pain primarily on one side with PN, you might walk or sit differently trying to guard that area from pain and eventually develop a pelvic misalignment that leads to SIJD?? I don't know if that makes sense though.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

Faith wrote:...how do myofascial trigger points in the levator ani or obturator internus cause the SI joint to have dysfunction? If that were the case then it seems like everyone with PN would have SIJD. Any thoughts?
My guess is that triggerpoints in those muscles cause a knock-on effect in the sacral ligaments and muscles so that they contract and distort, thus pulling the sacrum slightly out of alignment. Tight muscles are recognised as being able to do that, but which came first the SIJD causing the tight muscles, or the tight muscles causing the SIJD?? :roll:
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
2 -Xray guided double nerve blocks -Dr.Baranowski - no relief.
TP self-massage reduced piriformis pressure on p nerve.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Feb '15. Applying to be referred again to Dr G.
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

And I meant to add, not everyone with PN would necessarily have SIJD, if their pn wasnt mechanically based by joint instability or muscle spasm. What do you think?
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
2 -Xray guided double nerve blocks -Dr.Baranowski - no relief.
TP self-massage reduced piriformis pressure on p nerve.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Feb '15. Applying to be referred again to Dr G.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”