Do you use a laptop stand in bed?

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
Cassie

Do you use a laptop stand in bed?

Post by Cassie »

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how you use your laptop in bed. Can you recommend a good laptop stand that enables you to type without straining your muscles or your PNE parts? I'd LOVE to be able to lay in bed and type comfortably.

I'd also love to hear how you manage your work life. Do you use a standing desk or a standing chair? What has helped you keep working while not being able to sit? It feels like a big challenge to overcome and it would be good to hear other people's stories. Has the right equipment enabled you to keep working?

Thank you : )

Cassie
birdlife

Re: Do you use a laptop stand in bed?

Post by birdlife »

Looks like I'm following you around the Board, Cassie, with your posts :lol: .
I have one of those wooden trays with short legs that unfold. You can adjust the middle section of the tray to 3 different heights, for a book or a laptop. Got it really cheap on Amazon, they also have them sometimes on eBay. Tons cheaper than an overbed stand anyhow!
There's many a story on here about cushions, seating, workstations. We all have individual requirements so its a case of try it and see. For me, my favourite at the moment to enable me to sit and type this is a memory foam donut cushion, which is more elliptical than round. I vary this sometimes with 2 memory foam leg spacers, you know the ones with curved bits, and I put one buttock in each spacer and the rest hangs free :lol:
Or you could try pool noodles, some people cut them up and make arrangements to suit their size and particular problem. Failing that, sit with one leg under you - that helps take pressure off (if your knees can stand it). I did buy a kneeling posture chair, which was pretty silly considering kneeling is a no-no for me with crappy cartilage :roll: . Do you work from home? So much easier to deal with, though nothing is "easy" when it comes to sitting. If you work in an office, are they sympathetic? Would they invest in one of those desks that rise and fall, so you can sit or stand?
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
2 -Xray guided double nerve blocks -Dr.Baranowski - no relief.
TP self-massage reduced piriformis pressure on p nerve.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Feb '15. Applying to be referred again to Dr G.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Hi Cassie,

I have my pc connected to my tv. I use a wireless mouse and keyboard and just use it from my sofa. Its worked really well as I couldnt rest a lap top on my lap.

With reagrds to sitting and work I actually had to give up what I was doing as I was a sales rep doing a lot of driving. Im now working part time from home and all my work is by phone.

I did try for a bit to keep working but after a short while the sitting made the whole thing worse and it became impossible in the end.

One thing that has helped alot is getting a decent cushion for the car. I am able to sit down for 15-20 mins normally on a good day on my cushion but if I have to do this more than once or twice in a day things start to get worse the next day.

The cushion Ive been using is called an IC cushion but Ive noticed that everyone is slightly diffrenent with this illness ,so its a trial and error situation to find a cushion that will help.

I hope the computer thing is of help to you and maybe others have some better tips for longer sitting times.

Regards,

Jacko
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Cassie, I use an airdesk. airdesks.com

For a bed you would probably need the tall one. http://www.airdesks.com/Tall.asp
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
TracyB7777

Post by TracyB7777 »

I haven't found a pad yet that lets me sit comfortably. However, I am still working. (I'm an Executive Assistant). What I've done is had our carpenter/furniture shop build me two boxes. One sits on a short book shelf and holds my computer; I can rest one foot at a time on the lower shelf. The other box sits on my desk to raise my work space height. Not ideal but it's kept me working the last 1 1/2 years.
Have been dealing with burning pain since Jan 2010.
No sitting since April 2010.
Seen the following dr's: DO, GYN, Dermatologist, Accupuncturist,
URO GYN (his RN is the one who suggested the pain could be PN), Neurologist
Had ECG and MRI both inconclusive, only the SSEP said Pudendal reaction was abnormal and they lost that test result.
Saw Dr. Castellanos April 6, 2011. Next steps, MRI and botox. Having PT while waiting.-Botox denied, appealing to Insurance company now. :(

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”