Recovery Time Vs Pain Relief

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
brewcity

Recovery Time Vs Pain Relief

Post by brewcity »

I've seen in a number of surgery topics, the issue of Recovery time vs pain relief comes up. Is there one method that is preferred for ahtletes/ or people that have extremely physical jobs? It seems like TG is the most "thorough" but leaves you with cut ligament, which I think would make certain activities very very difficult. I understand that I may never return to 100%, but I'd prefer not to cripple myself in trying to fix myself. Which method is Antolak recommending? I've seen him for one block and I'm going back for the second in a few days. I expressed some frustration to him, making me do 3 blocks yet both of us knowing that I won't be "Fixed"...thats alot of driving to MN.

And as a slight side topic....I'm really really trying to trust Antolak. I know he's an expert, but I've become so leary of doctors after chasing this problem around since a lower back pain diagnosis years ago. I've read some good and some bad about Dr's on here, is he someone I can trust, and how are his surgicle outcomes?
Lernica

Re: Recovery Time Vs Pain Relief

Post by Lernica »

Try typing "Antolak" in the Search box above (upper right hand corner) to see what others have said about him.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Brewcity, Dr. Antolak used a "modified" TG approach in which he cuts the sacrotuberous ligament lengthwise instead of across the width. Unfortunately, we've not heard from very many of his patients who've had surgery.

Have you tried any conservative therapies yet, such as PT?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
brewcity

Post by brewcity »

I had been seeing a PT occasionally, and she was actually the one that suggested I see Antolak; my GI had guessed pt might help for "general pelvic floor" problems. The internal massage didn't really do anything, sans the fact that she could manipulate the area better to help me get an idea of where the pain was. I use a sit pad and am taking baclofen and just started amitryptiline (i REALLY REALLY didn't want to do that, as I usually don't react well to anti-depressants). Because of what I do for a living, I'm really hoping for something that will allow me to live without the large lifestyle modifications.
It took me a long time to get to a seemingly proper diagnosis, and unfortunately all of the conflicting information on this topic doesn't help. Half the people tell you to get treatment including surgery if needed, the others want me to stay far away....even if it means just leaving me in pain :cry:

Return to “SURGERY”