Numb buttocks

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
reckless

Numb buttocks

Post by reckless »

I've been on this forum for quite some time now.

Previously I was suffering from pain in my rectum, penis and perineum when sitting down or lying flat on my back. Basically anything that put pressure on my crotch.

In the last month things have got worse, I think it may have happened when I sat too long in a sitz bath and pushed out.

Now I also get numb buttocks when sitting down and tingling scrotal pain. Before I could stand with no pain, but now even that does not help. The only thing that relieves the pain is walking or lying on my sides.

I now have a constant muscular type of ache on the right side of my pelvic floor, I think this might be the cause of the pain, maybe it's affecting a nerve. The muscular ache is not what is bothering me so much, it's the burning pain.

A colorectal surgeon examined me and found that I was tender in this region. I've had an MRI done and am waiting for the results to see if there is any muscular damage.

Is having numb buttocks and scrotum tingling/pain associated with PN?
Perhaps an injury to the pelvic floor is causing all these symtoms?

Thanks
Lernica

Re: Numb buttocks

Post by Lernica »

Are you able to see a pelvic physiotherapist to determine the state of your pelvic floor? Perhaps you have a contracted pelvic floor muscle (like me). It can be massaged and softened up by a pelvic PT.

I don't have an explanation for the numb buttocks. However, I often have buttock pain from spasming pelvic floor muscles.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Numb buttocks can be associated with piriformis syndrome. You could have a number of pelvic muscles in spasm impinging on nerves -- possibly sciatic and pudendal. When you start having pelvic pain in one region often it spreads as more and more muscles go into spasm and as you compensate or guard from pain in one area, over time your pelvis may go into misalignment impinging on nerves.

If you're going to have an MRI, you might as well see if they can use the Potter protocol to see if there are any obvious entrapments.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
reckless

Post by reckless »

What about the scrotal pain, is that due to the Pudendal nerve?

The numb buttocks and scrotal pain started at the same time. I'm guessing it's the same thing causing it.

Also, I'm not able to ejaculate properly.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Pudendal nerve is one of the nerves that innervates the scrotum so yes, scrotal pain can be associated with pudendal neuralgia.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/82983-overview
http://tinyurl.com/7lyw3zo
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”