An amitriptyline cream is in the market, benefiting me

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
White Falcon

Re: An amitriptyline cream is in the market, benefiting me

Post by White Falcon »

I had a similar prescription for a cream compounded by the pharmacy: 2%amitriptyline/2% ketamine in phlogel. A small amount (about the amount of a small tube of toothpaste) cost $97 in 2009. So the price from India is certainly very good!

Not to put a damper on things, but I could not use the cream on my privates - it burned horribly, and continued burning until I couldn't stand it (about 30 minutes), and washed it off. It worked very nicely for my neck pain, so I used it up on regular skin. Next, I tried 5% ketamine in petroleum jelly, and that burned like crazy, too. So more is not better. I have also tried valium in the sensitive parts, and felt like a lit match was in there. Maybe it's just me, but some of these things are not so good on mucus membranes. Okay for the fellows, but ladies, beware. I haven't tried just amitriptyline, so maybe that will be my next thing. I have not found anything other than vitamin E to apply down there without making pain worse. But I refuse to give up - this HAS to get better! I cannot stay like this forever!

I have tried amitriptyline as tablets by mouth, and had too many side effects. This is Elavil, for those of you who may know it by that name. Nortriptyline is a close relative. If you have tablets sitting in your medicine cabinet, you can try to crush them, mix with petroleum jelly or other ointment base, and have at it. Hope it helps.

Garth, thanks for posting. Is the cream you are using specifically designed for genital application, or is it a general pain cream? Can you tell what the base ingredients are, that is, what the non-medicinal cream is made of? Thanks.
Provoked pain with intercourse 1980-2008
Intermittent flare-up beg. March 2008
Constant pain since Sept. 2009
CT guided nerve block Apr 2010 (made pain much worse)
Hysterectomy July 2010
Other issues: fibromyalgia, migraines, Lyme, gastritis, MCS
White Falcon

Post by White Falcon »

Laura wrote:I don't think my Dr. would prescribe anything that wasn't his own idea. He is a real control freak
My doc was the same way - he'd get his panties in a twist when I came in and asked him for something that wasn't his idea. Then I got a bit more subtle in my approach. Now, I say something like this: I've heard about such and such, and I was wondering what you think about it? Do you think it might be worth trying, or do you have something better? This has been much better, and generally successful. He feels like he's being consulted, not told what to do. It's all about ego. Doctors are just people, after all. Gotta keep 'em happy if you want them to help. Good luck with your doc.
Provoked pain with intercourse 1980-2008
Intermittent flare-up beg. March 2008
Constant pain since Sept. 2009
CT guided nerve block Apr 2010 (made pain much worse)
Hysterectomy July 2010
Other issues: fibromyalgia, migraines, Lyme, gastritis, MCS
Laura

Post by Laura »

Hi whitefalcon, :)

That is very wise of you, because unfortunately most doctors do have very big egos.
Have you tried just amitriptyline creme alone? It's the ketamine that is probably causing the burning ! I hope you find answers soon. ;)
Robyn K

Post by Robyn K »

Hi Garth, I have had PN now for just over 2 years. In a bad flare at the moment, bed and more bed. I read with interest that your pain is in the region of the sphincter muscle, so is mine as well as perineal, it feels anal, but I don't have an anus. I had bowel cancer in 1999 and had it all removed but do have my sphincter muscle in tact, so am closed off at the back passage. Am currently seeing a PT in Brisbane and having and manipulations and mobilisation of the Sacral Iliac Joints, he has a good success rate with this method, so I am trying to be optimistic. Learning heaps from this website, never knew of it's existence until recently. Am interested in the cream and would appreciate any success story ? Cheers, Robyn K
Robyn K

Post by Robyn K »

Hi Garth, I have had PN now for just over 2 years. In a bad flare at the moment, bed and more bed. I read with interest that your pain is in the region of the sphincter muscle, so is mine as well as perineal, it feels anal, but I don't have an anus. I had bowel cancer in 1999 and had it all removed but do have my sphincter muscle in tact, so am closed off at the back passage. Am currently seeing a PT in Brisbane and having and manipulations and mobilisation of the Sacral Iliac Joints, he has a good success rate with this method, so I am trying to be optimistic. Learning heaps from this website, never knew of it's existence until recently. Am interested in the cream and would appreciate any success story ? Cheers, Robyn K
garth

Post by garth »

I'm logging in after many many days. Year end pressure at work.

White falcon - The cream's literature says its meant for peripheral neuropathies and for external use only. I never felt any burning or any other sensation when I use it. Maybe it is a guy/girl thing or the ketamine as Laura said which doesn't suit everybody . And the literature says 'cream base' and not what chemicals make the base, nor is there any mention of use for any specific location, so it is a general neuropathic pain relief ointment. In the indications it says "Neuropathic pain such as diabetic neuropathy, postherpetic neuralgia, or postsurgical/posttraumatic neuropathic pain with allodynia, hyperalgesia, or pinprick hypesthesia".

Oh yes the price is good in Indian rupees, even better in dollars. Even I've been experimenting with creams, tried gabapentin (neurontin) +amitriptyline (elavil) with PLO gel.

Robyn K - I'll PM you about getting the cream from India.
Last edited by garth on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan1646

Post by Alan1646 »

I tried the cream but found that although it helped a little, it was no better than Voltarol for me. It may well be of great benefit to others however and for the cost is well worth a try.
"if you want to keep a secret you must also hide it from yourself" Orwell
garth

Post by garth »

Alan1646 - If you felt better with the cream, maybe you should keep using it. From what I understood from the study of Mary Lynch, only after good amount of use at least 6 months it brings long-term relief. When I had mailed Dr Lynch she said use it for 2 weeks and you'll get to know if it works for you, and stop it if it's not.

I've been using it since July 2011 except for one month in between. My sitting tolerance has improved quite a bit since then, after 20 minutes of sitting the pain became bad enough to get up but now I can sit 1-2 hours before I get up. One thing that worked in my favor is my pain is in the perianal area which probably is "accessible" with the cream. I don't know how if it'll work if the pain is further inside the pelvic floor that is difficult to reach.
cancel327

Post by cancel327 »

hi, siddharth. my name is mike, i live in new york city. i was wondering if the amitriptyline cream would be hard to get in my town.
i have been suffering with the pudendal pain entrapment for about 6 years. it was only recently that a doctor was able to determine what i was going through.
i was sent for an mri,and it should pudendal impingement, on my left side pelvic area.
garth

Post by garth »

hi mike

ask your doctor if the cream would be good in your case. you can email me if you want it garth17@gmail.com.

if you have entrapment its better to treat the underlying, getting rid of the entrapment. the cream should work for close to the surface nerve pain, commonsensically speaking. Though its a transdermal drug delivery cream but I doubt if it can go much inside. let me know if you're interested in getting it. I've been using it but it is only one of the many therapies/meds I do.

I had sent the cream to a woman with severe and widespread pelvic pain, she thought the cream could reduce her discomfort in atleast some regions and actually it did. This is what she wrote to me when she first used it.

"I put the cream on the inner buttock walls (not sure what else to call them) and now that horrible irritation (like raw nerves) is gone, and the area is just 'tingling'. :-) The cream worked!! It took about two hours.... "

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”