Sacral pain - is it torsion/SIJD?

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
birdlife

Re: Sacral pain - is it torsion/SIJD?

Post by birdlife »

Cyber hugs very much appreciated, thanks guys
Lernica, strongest things in my meds cabinet are Panadol and ibuprofen ~ unsurprisingly they're not touching the pain. If I could just get a night's sleep I could face the next day better, as it is I am really struggling. Had 4 years of very little sleep, there's a limit and I'm reaching it.
Violet, this is off topic but relating to my sleep. In an older thread I mentioned to you being diagnosed with sleep apnoea by a locum. My own GP last week said no, not sleep apnoea, but parasomnia. And so I thought ok, that's really good, I can take something to help me sleep then. But looking up 'parasomnia' online its just an umbrella term for sleep disorders, including sleep apnoea :? :?. So, back to square one then - can I or can't I safely take a tranquiliser/sleeping tab at night! :roll:
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
2 -Xray guided double nerve blocks -Dr.Baranowski - no relief.
TP self-massage reduced piriformis pressure on p nerve.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Feb '15. Applying to be referred again to Dr G.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

If the GP said it's not apnea, then I would take him/her at his/her word and assume that it would be safe to take something for sleep. As you know, a good night's sleep is essential for pain management. Yesterday I had my first PT session in over a year and was very uncomfortable in the evening. But instead of a painkiller I took a clonazapam (a tranquillizer) for a good night's sleep and I feel better today. Nothing beats a good night's sleep. Nothing.

More hugs, Birdlife. Hope you feel better today.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

Apparently being unable to take a breath or move even an eyelid muscle on waking is not apnoea but parasomnia (I still don't see how the two are distinguished). Do you know Lernica, I'm getting past caring much which doctor was right and if he's wrong it will become academic anyway. Pain level is currently around 7 and spoke to GP by phone this afternoon hoping for some stronger painkillers, but he only said take lansoprazole to counteract the increased acid from ibuprofen, and add some cocodamol to the mix. PN is still a level 7 and these meds aren't touching that nor all the muscle pain. SI joints aren't burning as much, that's something. Soooo need some sleep, maybe there's an old tranquiliser in a drawer somewhere.
Thanks for your kind words, Lernica.
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Birdlife,

That family doctor of yours is not doing his job properly. Do you not have a pain doctor? If not, you have to get one! Then you'll get the drugs you need to get you through a pain flare such as the one you're experiencing now. You shouldn't have to beg for painkillers. It's humiliating and not right.

Thinking about you and sending warm healing wishes your way.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Birdlife, maybe you want to ask for a sleep study if you're not certain about the diagnosis. Or if you are ever sleeping while your hubby is awake, ask him to monitor you for holding your breath for long periods. Also, ask him if he knows if you snore because often snoring goes along with sleep apnea.

I think it's really important to be able to get a good night's sleep so you can get a break from the pain for awhile. I hope you can find a doc who will take more of an interest in helping you find some meds that work. In the meantime have you tried adding OTC meds containing antihistamines like benadryl to help you sleep. Clonazepam is great too -- I think it saved my life. I'm assuming you probably already use lots of ice for pain control.

Hugs,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Faith

Post by Faith »

So sorry birdlife about all of it - the aggressive manipulation and lack of sleep. Sleep is so important for chronic pain. I can tell such a difference if I sleep a good 8 hrs. I've been taking a small dose of flexeril at night to help me sleep this last month and I think it has helped me be able to wake up in the morning with less stiffness and pain. I agree with what Violet said. Maybe you can try Benedryl (I assume they sell that OTC in the UK). Please be careful with those aggressive manipulations. That's what got me in the mess that I am in. Be straightforward with the osteo about your increased pain and you should probably wait to do more treatment until you are back at your baseline pain. I've been trying to increase my exercises to help with pelvic stability, but I'm having a lot of problems with my quadratus lumborum. I'm afriad my SI is just too far gone. The ligaments are shot and I can't hold alignment for any period of time hardly :( Thinking of you and hoping you get some relief quickly.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

Sleep really does make a huge difference. I wrapped Lernica's healing wishes around me like a psychological blanket, found 2 x 2mg diazepam, took the ibuprofen and cocodamol, and slept for 8hrs solid. Amazing. I feel rested but fuggy, more positive, and ALSO, my PN pain is down a level to 5/6! Way to go! Still stiff as a board, but SI joints are just hot, not burning as they were.
Lernica, I don't have a pain doctor but will have as from 11th April (god, seems so far away!). I've got my first appointment then with Dr.G in Bristol. Was offered nothing in the way of meds by Dr. B in London 3 years ago, and he's also a pain consultant is he not, but expect a far different approach from the Bristol team.
----------------

Faith - sorry about your pain too. I know you'll be triggerpointing your QL at every opportunity, is your piriformis worse at the moment? The QL takes up the slack from the piriformis being out of action, is that a contributory factor for you? What's your take on prolo, to strengthen your shot ligaments? Sorry if you've told me already, still a bit fogged.
I knew you were made worse by aggressive manipulation, told the 1st osteopath I didnt want that and she was fine, only did gentle manipulation. It was this 2nd person who unexpectedly did 5 joint thrusts in quick succession, and he was the more senior! Emailed the osteopath clinic yesterday to tell them of this flare, no one has got back to me on it yet :roll: . My next appointment with them is with their cranial osteopath. Didnt know I needed my head examined too (or maybe I did!) but apparently she also deals in spinal problems caused by osteoporosis and osteopenia (that's me). I did wryly smile to see that her speciality is actually pregnant women. I know I might look pregnant but hey that's simply middle-age-spread!
--------------

Violet, yes I do snore but only when on my back - which is also where I find myself when I have one of these non-breathing episodes. I don't have them often, and I try to make sure I don't end up on my back by using a long roll cushion behind me. Though its usually on the floor in the morning. Hubby can't comment much as my PN coincided with him herniating 2 lumbar discs and we have to sleep in separate bedrooms cos I need to move my painful legs around all over the place and he needs to keep dead still. Has a lot to answer for, this PN. Doc said he would only send me to a sleep clinic if I got frequent episodes of not being able to breathe. I said to him y'know all these people who die peacefully in their sleep? Well I can tell you they don't. They might look peacefully asleep but are actually gasping for breath and cant move a single muscle to let anyone know!

Thanks all for your support and advice, you unexpectedly got me all briefly weepy but I feel better for that too.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

Excerpts from 2 emails received from the osteopathy clinic today:
1st (gentle) osteopath:
"I feel that the flare up was probably due to the shearing movement put through your SIJ joint" ~ Absolutely!
2nd (senior) osteopath, who did the 'shearing movement':
Whereas its not ideal that you are sore from the examination, it's still acceptable and understanding. I hope that's ok. ~ "sore" ..?? Completely wrong adjective and NO, it's not ok.

Am level 4/5 today, despite little sleep last night (perineal and leg pain). Forgot to say in last post yes Benadryl is easily obtainable in the UK.

Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

Am relieved to report after a month that my sit-pain levels are back to what they were before the osteopath tripled it - I feel very lucky about that. Lumbar and mid-back muscles are still stiff. Am due to see Dr.Greenslade this coming wednesday, and will update if he can give me any sacral strengthening or realignment exercises
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
Skylar

Post by Skylar »

Hi Birdlife,
Glad to hear that you have improved from the osteopathy clinic experience. Hope you are getting some restful sleep. Good luck with your appt. with Dr. G.
All the best,
FG
Unilateral pain began in 2009 from fall trauma.

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”