Pharmaceutical R&D on neuropathic pain

This is an area to share and learn about new Medical Advances and Techniques where we can be educated and educate.
Dave

Pharmaceutical R&D on neuropathic pain

Post by Dave »

Here is a very incomplete list of pharmaceutical companies that are doing research and development on novel neuropathic pain drugs. Specific drug candidates are mentioned by name or code. There should be enough keywords to Google or Wikipedia for more info.

I created this list so that we can check up on their progress over time. Many of these drugs will fail or efforts will be abandoned. Many of these smaller drug companies will go belly up. But hopefully a few new drugs will make it to the market place.

If you notice that an interesting drug is nearing approval, spread the word.

Icagen Pfizer (NC)
Developing new drugs that regulate  ion channels in nerve cells in order to reduce nerve excitability.  One candidate (ICA-105665) is a potassium channel opener that may be effective against epilepsy & neuropathic pain.

Avanir Pharmaceuticals (CA)
Working on a dextromethorphan(active ingredient in cough syrup)-based formulation (AVP-923) that may provide relief against neuropathy.

VistaGen (CA)
Uses stem cell technology to evaluate candidate drugs for human toxicity long before they go to human testing.  Candidate drug (AV-101) is NDMA receptor blocker for neuropathic pain.

BioLineRx (Israel)
Drug candidates for neuropathic pain molecules an SNRI-type drug (BL-1021) and a potassium channel opener (BL-7050)

NicOx (France)
Develops improved drugs based on the believed role of nitric oxide.  Working on the improvement of Neurontin (NCX 1236), Lyrica, and Cymbalta.

MediciNova (CA)
Working to show that Japanese anti-inflammatory drug Ibudilast (MN-166/AV411) is effective against neuropathic pain.

Vernalis (UK)
Drug candidate (V158866) inhibits an enzyme that breaks down endocannabinoids.

Arcion (MD)
Develops topical treatments for neuropathy.  Drug candidate is a topical clonidine (ARC-4558)

Relevare Pharmaceuticals (Australia)
Several drug candidates for chronic pain including a Flupitine-opioid combo (CNSB001 & CNSB015) and a sodium channel blocker (CNSB002).

Zalicus (MA)
Developing ion channel blocker drugs for pain (Z160, Z944).

Convergence Pharmaceuticals (UK)
Developing ion channel blocker drugs for pain (CNV1014802, CNV2197944)

Sanofi (France)
Developing drugs in early stages of research for pain.  The drugs (SAR114437,  SAR411298) inhibit enzymes that are involved in pain.  

Concert Pharmaceuticals (MA)
Uses a technology (deuterium modification) to improve the pharmokinetic properties of drugs.  They have a program to develop a deuterium modified version (C21191) of a muscle relaxant that had been previously abandoned by Merck because of poor pharmokinetics.  They are also working with Avanir (see above) on a deuterium modified dextromethorphan drug.

EpiCept (NY)
Drug candidate AmiKet is a topical cream with amitriptyline and ketamine.

Aestus Therapeutic (NJ)
Analyzes biological pathways to utilize drug candidates originally developed for other indications for central nervous system disorders such as neuropathic pain.  It has two neuropathy candidates (ATx09-002, ATx08-001).

WEX Pharmaceuticals (BC, Canada)
Developing a pain-relieving neurotoxin (TTX)

NeurogesX (CA)
Developing new topical formulations of capsaicin.

GW Pharmaceuticals (UK)
Sativex is a spray-applied drug containing cannabis extracts.  The company is working on approvals in various countries and for the indication of neuropathic pain.

Sangamo Biosciences (CA)
Seeks to cure diseases by regulating gene expression.  Neuropathic pain is one area the company is studying.

Eisai (Japan)
Drug candidate Perampanel (E2007) blocks receptors and is a candidate for epilepsy, Parkinson's, and neuropathic pain.

Xenon (BC, Canada)
Biotech company that looks for cures by studying the opposite phenotype. Looking for chronic pain cure by studying the genes of people who congenitally cannot feel pain
Last edited by Dave on Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lernica

Re: Pharmaceutical R&D on neuropathic pain

Post by Lernica »

Thanks for the interesting update.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Mick

Post by Mick »

Hi,
Suggest these additions working on neuropathic pain & peripheral neuropathy meds

Viromed VM202[/b] - DPN Potential injectable cure for Diabetic PN in USA Phase 2 trials

Dara Sciences KRN5500 NP / PN caused by cancer drugs

Spinifex Australia EMA 401 Progressing to Phase 2 trials. Assisted by Prof Anand, UK research on PN at University Hospital Hanmersmith London

Best

Mick
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thanks Mick.

The Viromed injectable VM202 – DPN looks like it provides a growth factor that helps repair nerve cells.

The Spinifex Pharmaceuticals drug candidate EMA401 is a receptor blocker. It is being trialled in postherpetic neuralgia.

Could not find much on how KRN5500 works.
jogom

Post by jogom »

the chief point is in wich phase those medications are. I´d change thousands of studies for just one who really works
Dave

Post by Dave »

jogom wrote:the chief point is in wich phase those medications are.
I've been working on a spreadsheet with all that info. Will post when complete...
merrie

Post by merrie »

All I know is that these meds cannot come fast enough for me. I pray for the day that there is an effective medicine for those of us that suffer so horribly with nerve pain and crps.

Merrie
PNE onset 9/2008
Weekly pelvic floor PT since 9/2008
Numerous nerve blocks 2008 - current (pn, s2-s4 epidurals, pelvic/lumbar/splanchnic sympathetic)
PRF s2,3,4 May 2009
Numerous hip injections and trigger point injections
Numerous rounds of botox (first 12/08 - most recent 5/13)
Hibner consult / Kalinkin MRI 11/10
PT with PHRC in May 2013
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Merrie,

I see you take dextromethorphan. I think few of us take that. Is it a prescription or OTC? What dose? Does it work?

Avanir combines it with quinidine to keep it in the blood stream longer. Nuedexta is already approved for PBA. AVP-923 for neuropathic pain is in phase III.

Dave
jogom

Post by jogom »

Did anybody hear about that research?
http://www.nicta.com.au/research/projec ... nt_systems
http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/intern ... ronic-pain
Can it be developed? or they are sellers of smoke searching for investors?
Dave, thanks for the list. Don´t misunderstand me. I apreciatte your work. It´s just that nothing seems to work as i would expect. Four months of this pain and I´m getting very frustrated.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Supposedly there have been some recent advances in spinal cord stimulation. We don't have too many posts on that topic, though I've heard it can be very effective against many forms of chronic pain. I can do some research on that, and I'll post it in the neurostimulation section.

Return to “MEDICAL ADVANCES & EDUCATION”