Please Help! Exercise Induced ?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
davyboy

Please Help! Exercise Induced ?

Post by davyboy »

Hello Everyone,

I am a 26 year old male.

I am so happy I have found this forum.

Currently, I am being treated for bacterial prostatisis but I am beginning to think that I do not have suffer from prostatisis but rather PNE.

I have spent the last year or so exercising strenuously. I do a home workout called INSANITY. Tons of lunges, squats and running on the spot. I should also note that I spent a summer landscaping, doing tons of heavy lifting.

I know this is all very vague information... But could someone please let me know if this is possible, if I have caused damage to the pudendal nerve? If so how do I seek out a diagnosis?

Also does anyone know what types of exercises are still okay to do? Can I still do pushups?

Please help!
davyboy

Re: Please Help! Exercise Induced ?

Post by davyboy »

My symptoms are as follows:

- some erectile dysfunction
- some testicle pain (particularly on the right side) when sitting (i have a job where i sit a lot)
- some pressure in my prostate area (it was diagnosed as inflammed)
- a lot of tightness in my right hip
- numbness, a heavy feeling in my scrotum
- some burning in my abdomen

I hope someone can help because at this point I really feel like I have gotten the run around from doctors.

I should note that I noticed a very strange sensation in my pelvis a few months back after doing my first session of hot yoga (it subsided the next day). It felt like the all the tubes and nerves in my urinary area had been twisted up (I no longer have this feeling).

Some days are better than others.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Welcome davyboy :)
There are a few people here who would site strenuous workouts as the reason for their PN problems. Weightlifting is another culprit; your heavy lifting when landscaping would not have helped, even if it couldn't be actually described as 'the' cause.
It's always a good idea to check out the home pages on here. There is a wealth of info there, including a list of doctors who are PN aware at the very least. Hopefully someone will be near(ish) to you.
I must say that quite a few of the symptoms your describe could be attributed to PN. All is not lost if that is the case. 1st of all you have found this site :) and there are a lot of conservative treatments that are both diagnostic and therapeutic that can hopefully set you on the right track.
In the mean time what medication, if any, are you taking? Some help in that area may be something you can sort out with your own Dr. in the short term. The main thing now is to avoid doing things that instigate the pain. Too much continuous sitting, squatting are best avoided at least in the short term to give yourself time to let things calm down.
If medication is taken along side rest and pacing, you could find that things will calm down long term, especially if there wasn't any ' one trauma event' that brought the problems on in the first place. I hope so anyway. Don't even attempt anything like 'hot yoga'; give yourself a well earned break for a while at least :)
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
davyboy

Post by davyboy »

Hi Helen,

Thank you so much for your comments.

Does anyone know?

Is it still safe to attempt pushups?

If I give it a rest is it possible the nerve will repair itself and I can continue exercising eventually?

I really appreciate the info!
davyboy

Post by davyboy »

Actually I forgot to mention... There was one particular day where I went to the hospital because it felt as though I was being electrocuted in my perineum! The only thing that would stop it was anti-inflammatory suppository. The doctor called it "refereed pain" from my prostatisis.
Biker George

Post by Biker George »

I'm sorry to hear that you're in pain, davyboy. Regarding push-ups, you probably won't do any damage to the pudendal nerve by doing them. However, because you'll have to tighten your core muscles (including your pelvic floor) in order to do the push-ups, you may increase your level of discomfort because tightening your pelvic floor will be putting pressure on the pudendal nerve. Good luck.
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

The electrocuting pain sounds like nerve pain. I had shooting nerve pain in my feet but once I started taking amitriptylene it stopped. I think Helen covered the other advice.
Take Care,
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Hi again davyboy,
I agree with Biker George, at least at this stage, I would really calm down any exercise regime, give things a rest.
If you feel you have to do something (are you addicted :) I used to be but that was a long, long time ago) maybe swimming (not breaststroke) or walking (keep away from hills in case your piriformis is involved, although you haven't described any buttock pain so maybe it's not)
You could try these physio exercises too
http://www.pelvicphysiotherapy.com/exercise-overview . Sorry,they are geared towards women but they t do focus on the abdomen quite a bit so might help.
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”