Sacral pain - is it torsion/SIJD?

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Violet M

Re: Sacral pain - is it torsion/SIJD?

Post by Violet M »

Birdlife, just thinking about you and wondering how your appt. with Dr. G went. ;)
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

Thanks Violet, and Fall_Girl too.
I've had a lot to think about since my appointment with Dr.G, who is a very nice man, swears a fair bit, makes you laugh. But he doesn't believe in SIJD, which was a pretty big disappointment to me. He offered me 2 CT-guided blocks, think he said 2wks apart? He also gave me a prescrip for Gabapentin in an "old lady's dose" :lol: , to tiltrate up if I could take it. And then shocked me totally by saying if neither the meds nor the blocks work, he could offer me an op. I was stunned by that because I don't believe I'm entrapped, only irritated. Surely ops are only offered to those who need decompression? He simply said, its about your quality of life.
I mentioned physio for SIJD and my tight muscles, but he said physio and the like was rubbish - apes in zoos don't need people pulling their arms and legs about do they. Had to smile at that but I did say I'm sure the apes in London Zoo haven't got my problems. He said how do you know? Flippant remark really, but at the end of the day what he was basically saying was that he could just snip the SP ligament and all sorted. Hmmm! He said the ligament doesn't affect pelvic stability and is only needed while children grow. After growth has stopped, its superfluous.
Now I hear that funding for decompression had already been withdrawn by North Bristol Trust by the time I had my appointment with Dr.G. Very puzzling! Maybe his overall optimistic attitude to life made him decide that by the time I was ready for an op the funding would be back in place?

Anyhow, I cant take the Gabapentin because it plays mind games with me, and this constant battle for treatment and tiredness has caused me to have enough of my own! I dont really see the point of further blocks if they are mostly diagnostic, and do I want exposure to the extra radiation?

Have had a tough time of late struggling with my current anxiety levels so the sensible thing to do is put things on hold till I get the real Me back instead of this frazzled shadow! :roll: Am working on that right this minute, I will not be beaten ;).
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
2 -Xray guided double nerve blocks -Dr.Baranowski - no relief.
TP self-massage reduced piriformis pressure on p nerve.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Feb '15. Applying to be referred again to Dr G.
Faith

Post by Faith »

So sorry about your disappointing appointment with Dr. G. I know you have waited for this for a long time. I think docotrs who don't believe in SIJD are just uneducated about the musculoskeletal pelvis. They don't undestand it, so they say it doesn't exist. He's primarily a surgeon, correct? So of course he will offer blocks/surgery. Is the surgery performed the TG approach? I would be leery of it since you seem to have a big musculoskeletal component to your pain, like I do. Are there any good PTs who specialize in SIJD and pelvic floor work anywhere near you? I think that would be my route if I were you. But I can image your frustration and anxiety. I wish you the best. Hang in there.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

Dr.G is a consultant anaethetist in pain management, Faith, but he can refer patients to his surgeon, Dr.Wong. As far as I understood things, Dr.G and members of his team have studied in France with Prof. Robert, so it would be the TG approach. It was very unfortunate that that particular day I was having to cope with a whole bundle of panic attacks just when I needed to be on top of things :roll: , so it was a bit like listening through fog. So if I've muddled my ligaments I wouldnt be at all surprised.
PT's here who deal with pelvic floor problems and/or SIJD seem to be private practitioners, and not available on the NHS. So without private medical insurance it could become too costly, or the distance too great for me to do at this moment. Also (after that last osteopath) unless another PN-er gave a personal recommendation I would be very reluctant to try anything! Still, that's likely my current anxiety talking so will review situation again when I'm back on top. Appreciate your support Faith, thanks ..
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
2 -Xray guided double nerve blocks -Dr.Baranowski - no relief.
TP self-massage reduced piriformis pressure on p nerve.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Feb '15. Applying to be referred again to Dr G.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hey Birdlife, interesting review of your appointment there....I'm sorry it didn't go better for you. I guess coming from the Nantes way of thinking it doesn't surprise me what he said about the ligaments but it is amazing how differently each of the docs think. I can see why you are feeling a bit unsure of where to turn now.

Hugs -- and wishing you wisdom in figuring out your next srategy. ;)

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”