Nerve transplant?

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
hope

Nerve transplant?

Post by hope »

If you look up "nerve transplant" on google you will see that it's a technic which already exist. So I wondered, why isn't it possible to transplant a new pudendal nerve if you were to find a donor??
Karyn

Re: Nerve transplant?

Post by Karyn »

Hi Hope,
Was the nerve transplant info you found actually for the pudendal? To the best of my understanding, all nerves are not created equal and this nerve in particular shouldn't be cut or severed at all.
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Biker George

Post by Biker George »

I started looking into this topic too because of the fact that my own recovery seems to be hitting a plateau. I don't think there are many surgeons who would attempt such an operation. I imagine it has already been tried, and I imagine that if the operation had been successful we would have heard about it by now. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed, though.
Biker George

Post by Biker George »

Never mind. Nerve transfers are used only as a last resort when there is almost no nerve function. Apparently transplanted nerves apparently only help restore some, but not much, sensation.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Oh well, Biker George -- at least you are exploring every avenue which is what we have to do with this condition, right?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Mahzi

Post by Mahzi »

Hi Im Mahzi
I asked my doctor about nerve transplant of the pudendal nerve and he said its not possible as of now. I think Biker george you should not worry too much as after my first surgery I has a bad flare up 2 yrs after the surgery and had to take valium and bed rest for a month before it settled down. So flare ups are comman that is why after my second surgery which took place just 3 weeks back my doctor told me I should lead my life like a old woman for at least a year to prevent flare ups. Also do glide exercise daily to prevent scar tissues but the exercise should be done standing up and he made me start doing it the 2nd day after surgery.
I had a 2nd operation in Belgium as after 5 yrs of being pain free after my 1st surgery my pain started again and at first I thought it was a flare up but after trying medication etc the pain continued so I went to Belgium and the emg and other test relealed I had PN. The doctor suggested surgery and I was encased in scar tissues and the nerve was unable to move as the scar tissues were pressing on the nerve. So you can get scar tissues any time not necessarily a few months after surgery. I have been advised to do the exercise all my life.
Biker George

Post by Biker George »

Thanks, Mahzi. Much appreciated. I am going to try some nerve gliding exercises and hopefully those will help. Biker George.
mikette

Post by mikette »

hi, what do you mean for gliding exercises? what do you have to do?

Return to “SURGERY”