Can piriformis syndrome cause pudendal pain HELP...

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
helenlegs 11

Re: Can piriformis syndrome cause pudendal pain HELP...

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Good luck with that Redz, let us know how it goes. You probably won't feel any different from the injection straight away apart from the (wonderful) anesthetic effect. Hope it works for you and you get some answers :)
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Redz

Post by Redz »

Well I had my Piriformis shot on Monday rightside unguided . Dr Zhoe hit it right on the bulls eye. My Piriformis muscle and sites bone feel great. Almost pain free on right side BUT my uretha pain has kick up a Knoch. I'm really confused. Any explanations? I also had my pelvis adjusted Dr puleggi Collingswood NJ.. talk about pain!!!!! :shock: It was suggested that I have it checked. But I must say it has made a difference in my whole pelvic region. all the muscle are far more relaxed.
Redz
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Redz,
Glad the piriformis injections were helpful! Do you know what med he used for the injection or how long it will last?
Depending on what he used for the injection, it's possible the medication could've have irritated your uretha.
What do you mean you had your pelvis adjusted? What type of doc is Puleggi?
Best,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

You said the adjustment was painful. Is it possible the pelvis adjustment increased your urethra pain, not the piriformis injection? Is the person who did the adjustment knowledgeable about PNE?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Redz

Post by Redz »

Hello Karyn and Violet
Below is the info on Dr Pileggi , I have read somewhere on pudendalhope that misalignment Of the pelvis may cause muscle spasms. So I figured that I would get an pelvic alignment. He does know of PN and advised me to get the MRN with Dr Potter. I don't think the adjustment caused my now flare up. As of my last post I'm in very much pain, all urethra bad :cry:

I think the Piriformis injection really aggravated the PN WoW. I'm sorry I do not know what He used in the injection. I did see Dr.Shou today and he said its 50/50 with piriformis injection. It could aggavate it or make it better. I knew that going in. I hope it will calm down and get better.So I'm moving ahead to see Dr Cohen in NJ. He is a listed doctor on PN hope. Also I have scheduled an ganglion impar injection this coming Thursday. Any thoughts? I really would like to hear some feedback from people who have had the ganglion injection.

if anyone has pelic floor issues I would high recommend getting the adjustment. It's more like an adjustment of the muscles painful but well worth it.

Our lady of Lourdes hospital is in Camden,NJ. And owned by the Fransicain nuns.
Frank Pileggi, Ph.D., RHP, Director of Lourdes Institute of Wholistic Studies and Lourdes Corporate Wellness programs. He has received his Masters Degree in Holistic Health Sciences and his Doctorate in Holistic Arts and Practices and is a nationally Registered Holistic Practitioner specializing in Advanced Bodywork and Somatic Therapies. He is the founder of Corrective Muscle Therapy®, holding certificates in over 20 modalities and in Athletic Training. In addition to his studies, Dr. Pileggi spent five honored years training with the Shamans of the Abenaki American Indians in Northern Vermont.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Red, some people who get ganglion impar injections have temporary relief of symptoms. I haven't had one myself but know people who did. I remember one gal who got temporary relief went on to have a more permanent ganglion impar injection using phenol.

Not sure why you would have a flare-up after the piriformis injection. With pudendal nerve steroid injections often people have flare-ups afterwards from the steroids so I wonder if the doc used a steroid in the piriformis injection and maybe it's irritating the nerve. Flare-ups after PN injections usually don't last more than several weeks so hopefully this increase in pain you are experiencing will be temporary.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Redz

Post by Redz »

Hi everyone. Its been 20 day since my last post.
Treatment In that time period.
piriformis injection 20 day ago. Big help I can now drive my car. It has decreased my pain by
90%. I had a ganglion injection 10 day ago. Made me feel even better. Last Saturday I decided to ride my motorcycle down the street. YES! I'm a big big big big big big big dummy. Instant pain level 10. Total Type A personality Don't know when to stop. I'm however feeling better now after resting. I will be going back to work this coming Monday. That's the real test. I will be driving short distances. I have a MRN may 23 with Dr Hollis and then an appointment with Dr Cohen. I have found out that Dr.Cohen does guided PN blocks with Xray. Is this ok. Up to 300mg lyrica. What better Tylenol or Motrin?
Thanks Redz
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Redz,
Glad to hear the piriformis & ganglion injections helped some! You mentioned they helped your sitting pain, but how about your other symptoms?
Try not to beat yourself up too much about the motorcycle ride. Don't know until you try! Best wishes with going back to work. Please drop us a line to let us know how it's going.
Also, please let us know how you make out with your MRI. I've never heard of anyone doing blocks via "x-ray". Are you sure that's how he does it?
Kind regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

You must have been on cloud 9 with the good results of the shots, I won't comment on the backward steps, you have that all figured out all ready :roll: Got to say that I would do something similar (although you will NEVER get me on the back of my husbands bike). . . . when will we ever learn?
I would imagine that targeting your piriformis with massage, stretches?? could be a good plan, as that shot had such a clear good effect. What about a botox shot into the piriformis? that has a lasting effect.
Great that you have the Potter scan coming up soon, no clue about the questions, sorry.
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Redz

Post by Redz »

Hi Thank for your reply and caring. Helenlegs and kayren I will tell you helenlegs I'm really at a loss when it comes to the piriformis. I'm really hope the MRN comes back negative. Any time I get a flare up it is because the piriformis is in spasm. It also cause urethra pain, burning and that worm feeling in my penis. We know the PN causes piriformis spasm .I may be kidding my self but I'm really not sure that's my case. I do believe I have PN without an entrapment. I just think it caused by the piriformis. As far as the botox I will be waiting on the MRN by Dr. Potter. I'm at 300mg lyrica and it seems to be helping much better. Should I have the piriformis added to the MRN script?

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”