VERY INTERESTING - DR. FILLER'S OFFICE ON MRN VS. 3T

Discussion of magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance neurography
AliPasha1

Re: VERY INTERESTING - DR. FILLER'S OFFICE ON MRN VS. 3T

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi Hermajesty,
I do understand the "charting by exception" rule.But since the path of the Pudendal nerve is very complex and it needs exceptional detail.In addition,the subject matter here is the "Pudendal nerve" and it's abnormaties.
If I had heard of Dr. Potter a few months ago,I wouldn't have ventured to France for my surgery.And at the end it all boils down to the expertise of the Radiologist such as Dr. Potter.I sincerely believe that Dr. Potter's MRI is a major breakthrough in PNE imaging.After the positive crosscheck by Dr. Kalinkin of Dr. Potter's images and a nod from Dr. Hibner,it has given me enough proof that she is indeed correct.
Another thing about Dr. Filler is that he has been around for a couple of years and he hasn't been able to make a case about his MRN imaging of the Pudendal Nerve.
The other thing that brings to my mind is his expertise which lies in the Piriformis Muscle syndrome where he had considerable success.In my opinion,that's why his imaging is heavily focusing on Piriformis muscle and the ischial spine.
I would appreciate if you can get a report of a patient from Dr. Filler that show abnormalties in the ligaments and in the Alcock's Canal as well as the branches of the Pudendal nerve.
I am sure that he must be having quite a few of those examples since he has claimed a 90% success rate in his you tube video. :)
All the Best ,
Ali
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Hi Ali,
The 90% success rate we both know is a form of "honest dishonesty" - grabbing on to the tiniest bit of improvement a patient admits in even 1 single area of function, even if globally they are the same or worse.
I am not here to sell Dr. Filler and I believe the inflated success claims are shameful, as they lead people to think there is a 90% CURE rate without actually coming out and saying that lie. As I am not interested in selling Dr. Filler, I will not be digging around to see if he has posted any MRN's of patients with alcock's scarring, etc...he has articles with MRN images on his website www.nervemed.com if you care to look around yourself.
I was pleased with the care I received but agree that Dr. Filler is very piriformis-obsessed AND that his advertising choices are not what I would call altogether ethical.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hermajesty,
I am really impressed by your post.It shows that you are a a woman of ethics,principles and character unlike some people that we have on this forum whose posts are just cheap and sarcastic and shows poor ethics.
As an Engineer, I am looking for proof, and that's why I had it cross checked by Dr. Olga Kalinkin who is familiar with PNE imaging.Their results almost correlated with each other and that gives me considerable confidence in Dr. Potter.

Best Regards,
Ali
Last edited by AliPasha1 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Thank you for your vote of confidence Ali. Where is Dr. Kalinkin located and what is her deal so to speak...that is, I have heard 3T MRI is available everywhere, just a switch they flip on the machine, and yet the only place to get it done right for pudendal is from Dr. Potter in NY. Is Dr. Kalinkin in fact another Doc who does pudendal 3T?
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hermajesty,
Dr, Olga Kalinkin works is a very talented radiologist who works very closely with Dr. Michael Hibner on PNE imaging at St. Josephs' Hospital.She uses 1.5 Tesla MRI with contrast for PNE imaging.She cross checked Dr. Hollis Potter images after her findings and their results were almost the same with the exception of the entrapment of the Pudendal nerve in the Sactroberous ligament.
I have posted my results of Dr. Kalinkin/Michael Hibner under the MRI/MRN forum.

Best Regards,
Ali
ezer

Post by ezer »

alipasha,
Do you have any information regarding Dr.Potter's technique? I mean the MRN is well documented but I cannot find information regarding her technique to find entrapments. Is it purely skills or is there an imaging software component?
Even before using a 3T MRI she used to find entrapments. I know people that visited her a few years ago.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

HerMajesty wrote: I was pleased with the care I received but agree that Dr. Filler is very piriformis-obsessed AND that his advertising choices are not what I would call altogether ethical.
You make some valid criticisms Hermajesty but I disagree with your last point. I take your point about success rates. I agree the rates are manipulated but the results are peer reviewed which no doubt points to some of the weaknesses of 'peer review'. However what is not ethical about Filler's advertising choices?
Last edited by Charlie on Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tried numerous medications as well as a long period of myofascial physical therapy combined with meditation/relaxation. My pelvic floor muscles are now normal and relaxed on exam ( confirmed by many Pelvic floor PTs) yet my pain remains the same. Also have intense leg pain. Deciding on next treatment.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Charlie,
Have you watched Dr. Filler's pudendal youtube sales pitch in its entirety? It is in my opinion very carefully crafted to suggest, without stating, that upwards of 90% of his patients are cured.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

HerMajesty wrote:Charlie,
Have you watched Dr. Filler's pudendal youtube sales pitch in its entirety? It is in my opinion very carefully crafted to suggest, without stating, that upwards of 90% of his patients are cured.
I accept your point about manipulated success rates. There is no way Filler is getting those results.

I also think though it is an informative video. He clearly explains where he thinks PNE can occur. People are right to be sKeptical and question his scans and surgery. Credit where credits due though there is some good information in that video which will help people come to a better understanding of whats wrong with them.

Of course the video is there to promote Filler. I accept that and I guess in that sense you could call it 'a sales pitch'.
Last edited by Charlie on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tried numerous medications as well as a long period of myofascial physical therapy combined with meditation/relaxation. My pelvic floor muscles are now normal and relaxed on exam ( confirmed by many Pelvic floor PTs) yet my pain remains the same. Also have intense leg pain. Deciding on next treatment.
nyt

Post by nyt »

Ali,

I have not had a 3T MRI with Dr. Potter. I had considered it instead of the one with Dr. Hibner and I had contacted her office when Dr. Hibner wanted me to have the 3T MRI in Phoenix with several questions. My insurance will not pay for another one right now plus I just had surgery. My plan when the discussion comes again, probably in about 1 year since I have had an MRI every year for the last 3 years, I will ask to go to Dr. Potter.

For me this thread has been incredible helpful in trying to determine what is the best scan for me and then where to get it done. The more information we have to try to make the best decision(s) for our own medical care the better. Hopefully, in the near future physicians like Dr. Potter, Dr. Kalinkin, and/or Dr. Filler will publish their results on imagining the pelvis. Like several on this thread it would be nice to have clearer scientific evidence which is the best technique to imagine the nerves and other structures of the pelvis.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner

Return to “MRI/MRN”