Hamstring/Adductor Tendinosis and PN

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
christi

Hamstring/Adductor Tendinosis and PN

Post by christi »

Much to my surprise, my Potter MRI showed tendinosis (degeneration NOT inflammation) in these tendons as the main problems. I have typical PN symptoms: cannot sit at all, or bend; pain in the perineum and deeper in; occasional painful spasms of the pelvic floor.

I'm mentioning the tendinosis, as it may be a cause for others.

I hear that tendinosis can be helped (application of a nitroglycerin patch over the area). I haven't tried it yet, but it gives me some hope that this awful disability might improve!

--Christi
Violet M

Re: Hamstring/Adductor Tendinosis and PN

Post by Violet M »

Thanks for posting this info Christi. I will be interested to hear how the nitro patch works for you. Good luck! ;)

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
nyt

Post by nyt »

Keep me posted! See attached review article of treatment options.
Attachments
Andres Tendinopathy Treatments 2008.pdf
(439.45 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
deBBieW

Post by deBBieW »

Hi Christi,
My recent potter MRI also showed mild hamstring tendinosis w/o tear. Have you gotten a doc to prescribe the patches? I dont think this is my main issue, but I have constant tight hamstrings, and I stretch them all the time. Do let us know how those patches work.

Hi NYT,
I read your attachment with interest. ESWT was mentioned too, interesting..thank you!

Thank you,
Debbie
Vag pain, leg burning 3/11, SIJ inj 7/11, Pelvic PT, Chiro/acupuncture,
2-CT pudendal blks 11/2012, did help, less deep vag pain
Potter MRI 04/2012 - Scar tissue/thickening at SS/ST, scar in Alcock canal -bilateral,
Hibner 6/12 suggests Botox (didnt do), 8/12 more pelvic PT w/ dry needling
Gabapentin 1800 mg, Lyrica 200 mg, 5mg valium, vicodin as needed
Trying to get rid of central sensitization burning pain in my legs, Valium seems to be helping
Looking into more mindfulness options. . . . .
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Could an overuse injury and tendinosis ever be due to muscle spasms I wonder? I doubt that it could be with larger muscles as the spasm would be extremely debilitating to cause such problems but maybe smaller (pelvic) muscles? They are definitely getting overused if in an almost constant spasm. I know my gluteal muscles have been diagnosed as having 'gross enthesitis'
Enthesitis;
Traumatic disease occurring at the point of attachment of skeletal muscles to bone, where recurring stress causes inflammation and often fibrosis and calcification.
or
Enthesitis (Inflammation Where the Ligaments Attach to the Bone)
Inflammation of the enthesis, where the joint capsules, ligaments or tendons attach to the bone.
It is the process of healing and repair following inflammation of the enthesis that eventually can lead to scarring of the tissues, which subsequently can lead to extra bone formation or calcification.

I know that any time anyone tries acupuncture, dry needling or even my piriformis botox injection the muscles are in such spasm that the needles are very difficult to get in and then more difficult to get out. I just wonder if tendonosis (without inflammation) tendonitis or enthesitis (both with inflammation) could be as a result of muscle spasms. I have only heard of it in relation to arthritis before and I don't have arthritis (except in one thumb)
Just thinking out loud.
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
JackieOUCH

Post by JackieOUCH »

I hope this will help you get some relief!!

I'm curious if the Nitro patches are just to help with symptoms, or can they actual help with healing?

Wishing you relief.

Jackie OUCH
Started with severe burning sacral pain to R hip/pelvis, bladder, bowel
History Endometriosis
Antolak Diagnosed PN--1 PN block made pain much worse & more widespread for a year
PT 2 yrs--Did not help physically, but was educational
Potter MRI: Symmetric thickening Sacrotuberous ligaments/scarring ischial & Alcocks canal.
christi

Post by christi »

Nitro patches are supposed to actually help heal the tendinosis, acccording to reputable scientific studies. I haven't yet talked to my doc about writing me a prescription so I can try one. I know they tend to cause headaches, so I've been a little reluctant. But I don't know what else to try!
JackieOUCH

Post by JackieOUCH »

Christi,

I had an anal fissure and was given a Nitro/lidocaine cream to use. It did give me headaches, so I did some research and found that Nifedifine/lidocaine is a great alternative without the side effect of headache. The action is the same. It helps heal by increasing blood flow to the area. It has to be made up by a compounding pharmacy, but it wasn't too expensive.

I wonder if this would be an alternative for you if you have problems with the headaches.

Best,

Jackie OUCH
Started with severe burning sacral pain to R hip/pelvis, bladder, bowel
History Endometriosis
Antolak Diagnosed PN--1 PN block made pain much worse & more widespread for a year
PT 2 yrs--Did not help physically, but was educational
Potter MRI: Symmetric thickening Sacrotuberous ligaments/scarring ischial & Alcocks canal.
christi

Post by christi »

I didn't know that lidocaine works by bringing blood to the area; I'll have to look that up. I used lidocaine patches for a short while about 18 months ago. I thought they were just for anesthetic purposes. (Didn't help anyway!)

--Christi
christi

Post by christi »

Oops, I didn't read your post carefully enough (still groggy this morning!). Of course, Lidocaine is a vasoconstrictor, but Nifedifine is a vasodilator, like Nitro.

Apparently Tiger Woods and high end soccer players favor the nitroglycerine patches for their tendinosis. Perhaps the headache issue wears off after a while...

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”