Exercise with PN/PNE

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
chemjim

Exercise with PN/PNE

Post by chemjim »

I can see that this topic comes up from time to time, but what do you do for exercise with PN/PNE?
I was an avid cyclist until the pain arrived suddenly. I'm grateful to be able to say that my pain is managed fairly well with amitriptyline and Lyrica. (amitriptyline seems to help the most, but side effects like drowsiness, dry mouth, weight gain, poor visual accommodation have been problems). Anyway, as long as I avoid sitting too much (my employer was generous enough to provide me with a standing desk) and many other forms of activity, my pain levels are in the 2-4 range. However, I've put on >20 pounds, and bp and cholesterol are going up right with it. For crying out loud, I started cycling to lose weight and bring those other problems under control. Now I can take long walks - no hills - without too much difficulty, but the pounds keep coming. I see people have had some success with swimming. Is there anything else folks have done with doesn't cause a flareup?

Jim
Cyclist off and on for many years. PN arrived suddenly after a ride in November 2010.
Diagnosed with "compression injury of the pudendal nerve" by my urologist.
Pain was severe, but is controlled somewhat with amitriptylene and Lyrica.
Violet M

Re: Exercise with PN/PNE

Post by Violet M »

Well, Jim, it looks like none of us have any good ideas beyond walking and swimming. These are the two main exercises that generally aren't contraindicated for people with PNE. Maybe you could do some upper body weights or rowing machine?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
fangshi

Post by fangshi »

Hi, I am not sure if I suffer from Pudendal Neuropathy yet, but I think its related because I share many symptoms.

But for me running, body-weight exercises and light weight lifting makes me feel better, it relieves muscletension, makes me feel more energetic and in general has a positive effect.

Are you saying that in classical PN sufferers exercise aggravates symptoms or it should just be avoided?
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Fangshi, exercise can be one of the causes of PNE. Weightlifting is what caused PNE in my case and is one of the exercises to avoid if you have PNE. If you are experiencing PNE-type symptoms and you are a weightlifter, you probably want to see a physicial therapist who is trained to treat people with pudendal neuralgia for an evaluation of your pelvic floor muscles, pelvic ligaments (stability), and pelvic alignment.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”