Any tests for loss of Urination Abiltiy?

PNMLT, EMG, SSEP, and other Nerve function testing.
The different techniques, results and opinions.
dbejeoBette3

Any tests for loss of Urination Abiltiy?

Post by dbejeoBette3 »

Hello

I had some sexual activity 1 month ago. Then after i stopped, 20 minutes after stopping, i felt 2 sharp electric shock-like pains in the penis.
From that point on, i had many symptoms, one of them being that i lost my normal ability to urinate and my normal ability to feel the urge to urinate.
For example now i wake up in the morning with no urge, i wake up at nights with no urge.

The urge that i do have is about 5% of what a normal 100% urge would be. The only times i feel urge is maybe when my bladder is really full.

I dont understand how those pains i had affected my bladder and my brain to bladder function.

How do they test or treat this?
My urologist said he thinks i have Prostatitis and checked and saw i had a tender prostate but when i read about prostatitis..they never talk about NO URGE To pee. They usually describe that people with Prostatitis have FREQUENT and Strong URGE to urinate. So my case doesn't fit that.

Isn't it more likely i have some pudendal nerve damage?

i'm in my 30s
Violet M

Re: Any tests for loss of Urination Abiltiy?

Post by Violet M »

Could be the pudendal nerve since it innervates the bladder sphincter. Have you had an MRI to rule out anything higher up in the spine?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
dbejeoBette3

Post by dbejeoBette3 »

Violet M wrote:Could be the pudendal nerve since it innervates the bladder sphincter. Have you had an MRI to rule out anything higher up in the spine?

Violet
No i haven't because I dont have insurance. And also the doctors haven't suggested it.
But yeah, I wake up and have a very vague almost non existant feeling of urination . Since i do think i have pee in me, i go to the bathroom and when i relax to initiate pee...it does come out. But i just dont know why prior to going to the bathroom I don't have the strong urge to go, which i always used to have.
cancel327

Post by cancel327 »

I have the same feeling you have. It all started with me when i had a kidney stone procedure.
They called it a shock wave therapy . When i woke up, i did feel or have the urge to urinate.
My bladder needs to be almost about to exPlode before , i can get a small feeling to urinate.
I thought i would never meet anyone with the same symptoms.
nyt

Post by nyt »

Urodynamic studies look at the function of the bladder. They place a pressure and flow sensing probe into the bladder and monitor how much urine your bladder holds and ask you when you fill feel etc. Then they monitor the pressure and how the bladder behaviors not only as it is filling but as you void to empty the bladder. Some dr. offices will also place a dye into the bladder and take a video recording while you are peeing.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
cancel327

Post by cancel327 »

Could the nerve in the bladder be damage or blocked?
Can that be a reason for not having the sensation to urinate?
dbejeoBette3

Post by dbejeoBette3 »

cancel327 wrote:Could the nerve in the bladder be damage or blocked?
Can that be a reason for not having the sensation to urinate?
Yeah i dont know either.
But from my internet research, the sacral nerves are the ones that send the message to the brain that you need to urinate.
But those nerves are deep inside, so i dont know why pain in the penis affected those nerves.

ALthough i've been known to have weird nerve pains thoughout my body so maybe this was going to happen.

The good thing with me is i don't pee in my pants. When i have the light sensation OR i feel like i should just go and try to pee...it comes out although very difficult and also very little or a weak stream.

cancel327, how about you?
cancel327

Post by cancel327 »

Yeah, the same with me. I can hold my pee with no problem.
I just went today to see a physical therapist and she treats people suffering with pudendal nerve entrapment.
I have an entrapment in my pudendal nerve. Last year i had a urodynamics and it showed problems with my muscles in the pelvic area. They are not working together. When one muscle relaxes the other muscle tightens.
You may want to have that test done.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Guy's take a look at this you tube vid, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xym2gly5 ... e=g-user-u
it explains the pudendal nerve route from the sacral roots through the pelvis. The pudendal artery route is described as well and he doesn't get onto the nerve until 7 mins in but both are worth looking at as similar.
The whole video is easy to understand, there is no need to know all of the names of the different areas it is explained diagrammatically so you get a good idea where he is referring to.
The main thing to know is that the pudendal nerve has branches that serve the bladder, rectum, scrotal region and penis (that's not the whole list) so an irritation or confinement of that nerve or any of the branches can cause a lack of feeling or pain or both to the organs and/or any areas it serves. There are also some well detailed diagrams on the home pages for reference.
take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
dbejeoBette3

Post by dbejeoBette3 »

Thank you for the info. and video

So guys,
what happens? We just have to live with it?
Im' not just having urinary problems, i have tingling and weird sensations in my genitals. it's really tough.

And then the urination. i mean i can keep going to the bathroom to check to see if i can do. But then sometimes i may have to really go and then there's no restroom.
man, this is gonna be difficult. And i still have like 30 years of life.

Wish there was some solution

Return to “NEUROLOGICAL TESTING”