Lyrica or neurontin

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Lola2

Lyrica or neurontin

Post by Lola2 »

Hi everyone,
I have a question ,i am on neurontin 900 mg a day,today i changed my PCP and went to see this new dr,that i liked a lot for his interest in my condition.He wants me to switch to lyrica 150 mg daily,because he thinks neurontin is not helping as lyrica would be.and also i would probably have less side effects,I have no idea how this medicine works or if is going to be approved by my insurance ,one thing he said is he was going to fught with my insurance to get it and i was a good candidate because i was already in neurontin so he is going to tell the insurance that neurontin isn't working.
So, what do you think? has anyone have same experience? switching from neurontin to lyrica and had a better result?
I aM scared to death ,he told me to stop taking neurontin and start the lyrica he gave(he gave me samples for one month),but i asked him about the withdrawal and he said i wasn't going to have it because i will be on lyrica.

Anyone here taking lyrica after neurontin? which one works better?

Thanks

Lola2
helenlegs 11

Re: Lyrica or neurontin

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Lyrica is a more metabolised form of neurontin, so it does tend to have less side effects. I was very woolly headed with neurontin and much better with lyrica, stupidity wise :D . Lyrica worked too well in fact for me as I slept so well and (unfortunately) in any position instead of my usual contrived sleeping position. I was waking up in pain because of it. I stopped it, as mornings are traditionally the best time for me (and most of us)
It is MUCH more expensive, so if your Dr. can wangle that one past your insurance set up it would be worth a try. I would think he would need to site side effects as the reason to switch ?? as if he says that neurontin doesn't work, they could argue that lyrica won't either, as it is essentially the same family of drug.
I think if there was a poll, most people would say that lyrica worked better for them.
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Lola I've heard quite a few people say lyrica seems to work better but there are some who prefer neurontin. You really won't know unless you try it. You're on a pretty low dose of neurontin right now and it may not be enough to really be helping you. A lot of people need at least 1800 mg a day for pain relief.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Lola2

Post by Lola2 »

Thank you both for your answers.
Violet my pain levels aren't that high anymore since i am seeing a acupunturist and a chiropractor,lets say it is 3/10 in a good day and 5/10 a very very bad day,what i hate about neurontin is this cloud in my mind and WEIGHT GAIN! So i was thinking that maybe lyrica woild be better but as i was reading some posts here 150 mg of lyrica is a lot :/ ,but you are right i won't know until i try it .
I'll keep you posted how it goes,wish me luck.
I also wish everyone here a better day and on the way of pain free.

Lola2
ezer

Post by ezer »

Lyrica is less sedating than Neurontin. I think everybody agrees on that. Regarding increased efficacy, I am not so sure. It has never been the miracle it was promised to be.
Both Neurontin and Lyrica were very heavily marketed to doctors and patients. So much that my GP could not understand why that was not helping me as it was sold to him as the ultimate drug for nerve pain.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Lola, I understand about neurontin and brain fog. I never got to more than 900 mg and the side effects were so bad I quit taking it, especially since it wasn't helping at all. I've heard some gals mention that lyriac tends to cause weight gain too so there might not be any advantage in that regard.

Best,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Redz

Post by Redz »

Hi everybody,

I have been on lyrica for 4 weeks a t 150mg twise a day. I seem a little foggy at time but it seems to work. Hellenlegs you are correct about sleeping well on lyrica. I to find myself sleeping on butt and waking up in pain.

Reds
Bathsheba

Post by Bathsheba »

Hi-I am on 800 mg of Lyrica a day-a huge dose. I have PN due to a botched surgical procedure. After surgery my pain levels were between level 8 and 9 pain on a scale of 10. 75 mg fentanyl patches didn't help. Now I have been on this large dose for 7 months. Gradually it, or maybe healing process, stopped the hideous pai/burning symptoms and fireworks. For the most part, it works.

The only bad side effect is that I have gained probably 20 pounds. I look like I am pregnant. Not sure whether it's from the drug or my inability to get around like I used to. I am usually flat on my back andhave been so for months. Also, my PN is so irritated I can't hold my stomach in.

Lyrica does leave me a little fuzzy headed and forgetful but I am fully alert when I have to be (i.e., driving).

Lyrica IS hideously expensive. It is not FDA approved for PN caused pain. Your MD might have to lie and say you have one of the FDA approved diseases to get the ins. co. to pay up.

You can get cheaper Lyrica if you buy from an Indian pharmacy (they totally ignore US patents), but I won't do this as they want cash up front and who who knows the quality. Canada does not have the deal on Lyrica that it does with some other US drugs. Pfizer has a program where they give it away (you have to be truly destitute, way below US poverty levels) or get a discount (amount is variable but not more than 35%).
Botched blowing up of bladder July/2011
Was on Lyrica 800+ Mg./day for over 2 years
Bad fall due to Lyrica dizziness, seizure
Due to low blood sugar, side effect of Lyrica
Now on gabapentin, OxyContin, tramadol
Looking for pain pump, has to be local
helen1000

Post by helen1000 »

I guess it depends on your body, I had double vision from Lyrica. And felt confused. I tolearate neurontin quite well.
My brother who has absolutely different nerve problem is opposite way. He is good with Lyrica and has diarea from Neurontin
8 nerve blocks rel 6 w.Met Dr. Peters,Dr. Antolack.Dr. Peters pacemaker,Dr Antolack TG operation.Maigne s.Internal PT at Dr Peters Nothing.PFCN block rel 6 w. PFCN RFA.Nothing.SI joint RFA.Nothing.Left scar tissue removal.Good.SIJD. PT of SI joint ME, and Prolo of SI and PS.Lumbar spine facets turned left. ME. T10-12 facets too wide.T10 turned left.ME and Prolo.Labral tears in left hip, spurs.Will have operation at 09/18/13,Met with Dr Conway.EMG shows left PN problem.Good impression of Dr C.
greeneyes

Post by greeneyes »

I thought I'd add my two cents worth. I tried both drugs and Neurontin didn't bother me as much as Lyrica. My doctor wanted me on 300 mg. of Lyrica but I could not get past 150 mg. It made my face swell up and made me very groggy and fuzzy-headed. Neither drug helped my pain. I know many people find one or the other helpful so you just have to try the Lyrica and see. Good luck.

Greeneyes

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”