New PNE in AZ

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Violet M

Re: New PNE in AZ

Post by Violet M »

Jim, I totally agree with what Helen said. In addition, an MRI may not show musculoskeletal issues like SIJD, pelvic misalignment, compression of the nerve, etc. So, maybe it rules out lots of scar tissue but it doesn't rule out all possible causes of PNE. Also, it wasn't a 3T MRI which could make a difference.

Best,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
biff0101

Post by biff0101 »

Thanks Helen and Vilolet, I will take in what you said and just keep this all in perspective and just use it as ruling things out. PT next week.

Jim
biff0101

Post by biff0101 »

Update: Well tomorrow I go back to Phoenix for nerve blocks on the genitofemoral and obrutator nerves. PT has really worked and has made it easier for me to deal with the daily skin sensitivity in the groin crease and inner thighs. As everybody knows on this forum stress can be a big hinderance on one's life and how they operate daily. I seem to have come to realize that I just have to cope and deal with this thing and this seems to have lowered my stress levels and life can go on as usual. I will post after I get my nerve blocks and there is a chance that Hibner might actually be at my prodedure.

cheers
Jim
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

All sounds promising Biff :) If you can eliminate some of the more damaging stress from your daily routine fantastic.
You sound as if you are working from a more acceptance level instead of a negative (which can be so draining, emotionally and sometimes physically) Of course acceptance doesn't mean that you are accepting the fact that nothing can be done to help your situation and to be honest I think you need a calm countenance to be able to deal better with any treatments and procedures.
Good luck with the nerve blocks.
Take care.
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
biff0101

Post by biff0101 »

Hi everybody. I had the nerve blocks on the Obturator and Genitofemoral nerves on Aug 15th. They were done by Dr. Kalinoken the radiologist. It seems that they really did not do much for me except my left inner thigh was numb for a few hours. The skin pinging and stinging still persist in the inner thigh and near the groin crease. Dr. Castellanos followed up with me and now I have to make two more visits in September for more nerve blocks. It seems Dr. C wants do an ultrasound guided blocks which he will locate and do himself this time. Again on the genitofemoral, anterior cutaneous femoral and illioinguinal nerves. Not sure why he was not there the first time but hopefully this will produce better results. I am still doing PT and am just soldiering on day to day. I will update more later.

cheers
Jim
Jax87

Post by Jax87 »

Hi Biff,
I"m sorry to hear that the nerve blocks didn't give you more relief, they didn't help me much either. :( I saw that you were experiencing groin pain, and forgive me if I have mentioned this before, but have you had an MRI of your hips? Some people have that type of pain and nerve pain when they actually have labral tears in their hips. You can read about it on other parts of this forum. Some peole have even had a lot of relief after pursuing this avenue. Just a path you might want to look down.

Hugs,
Jackie
Started with vulva itching 2/11. Diagnosed as vulvodynia and then PN in 01/12. Progressed to sitting pain and constant burning. Received 4 nerve blocks with only temporary relief, did year of pelvic PT before being diagnosed with bilateral FAI and hip labral tears 7/12. Did orthopedic PT 1.5 years. 3/13 Arthroscopic hip surgery at HSS with Dr. Kelly. Take cymbalta and lyrica daily. About 97% better than worst point thanks to combo of surgery and meds. Yay!
biff0101

Post by biff0101 »

Jackie, thanks for the information on the hip. If this next series of nerve block seems to be of no use I might have to pursue the hip tear possibility. The thing is though I have already had 2 lower pelvic MRI/MRN's. One of which was done through Hibner and nothing seems to have popped up or out (a pun) yet of any significance. As usual, it is on to the next day..lol.

cheers
Jim
Jax87

Post by Jax87 »

Hi Biff,
Yeah, the crazy thing about the hip tears is that you need to have a hip MRI that is specificallt looking at your hip joints to catch them. I had a Potter MRI of my pelvis, but I had to return to HSS for a hip MRI to see my hip joints which showed labral tears on both sides, impingements, and dysplasia. She did both MRIs, but they were looking for different things. So, you might ask HIbner or another doctor about a hip MRI specifically of your hips in the future.

- Jackie
Started with vulva itching 2/11. Diagnosed as vulvodynia and then PN in 01/12. Progressed to sitting pain and constant burning. Received 4 nerve blocks with only temporary relief, did year of pelvic PT before being diagnosed with bilateral FAI and hip labral tears 7/12. Did orthopedic PT 1.5 years. 3/13 Arthroscopic hip surgery at HSS with Dr. Kelly. Take cymbalta and lyrica daily. About 97% better than worst point thanks to combo of surgery and meds. Yay!
biff0101

Post by biff0101 »

Well it seems things have returned to the status quo. I am still getting the inner thigh and groin crease zinging and sensitivity. I am still scheduled to get a series of nerve blocks with Dr. Castellanos on 21 September. On a side note, just out of curiousity I contacted Dr. Dellon this morning and he gave some intersting theories to my issues. He stated that my ilinguinal nerve could be getting pressured by scar tissue due to pyloric stenosis surgery that I had when i was 6 weeks old (I do get scar pulling below the scar when I do sit ups) or he said I could possibly have an ingunial hernia which has not been found. Not sure about the latter theory though. I thought a hernia could easily be diagnosed. Any thoughts on this issue?

thanks
Jim
biff0101

Post by biff0101 »

Oh just a side note, my hip joints are hurting like hell right now. The fun never ends!

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”