Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal pain?

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Skylar

Re: Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal p

Post by Skylar »

Hi Julia,

No I wasn't required to have an xray first but when the doctor ordered the MRI we weren't looking for hip pathology specifically. We were trying to rule out any damage along the pudendal nerve pathways. Our technicians here say they can image the same level as Dr. Potter so that's what I was attempting to replicate but they did not produce a report anywhere near the detailing that Potter's does. I don't recall that it took very long to book it. It depends on how flexible your time is as they offer evening and I think weekend MRI's outside the usual weekday times which were harder to get.

I don't think that a good hip surgeon would necessarily need a 3T mri but you aren't presenting with just hip problems either so any imaging you can get will only be to your advantage. But I'm no expert on hip imaging.

And yes I totally agree, the wait times here for doctor appts and procedures is so frustrating!!!
Good luck with your endeavours. Cheers, Fall Girl
Last edited by Skylar on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unilateral pain began in 2009 from fall trauma.
beverley

Post by beverley »

I dont have much to update at this point. I am three weeks post op of hip surgery. I was very numb in the whole pubic area and am still mildly numb. I had a flare from the surgery that caused burning and urinary frequency -- i have increased my dose of elavil and am taking vaginal valium -- both are really helping. My obturator muscle is really tight and i have gone back to pelvic floor PT. As far as i can tell my hip pain is better -- but my hip is still sore from the surgery.It is really too early to tell if this had cured me and everyone i have spoken to took up to a year before they were better/cured. I will keep you all posted.
prolonged sitting summer -- Vulvar Burning, Vulvadynia, Urinary Frequency, Lower Back Pain, Numbness in Foot, Pain when sitting, Hip Pain
1/12 90% Better after Pelvic Floor PT and 10 mg of Elavil
3/12 Potter MRI
4/12 MRI showed Labral Tears in both hips
4/12 Hip Injection with Dr Jordon -- some improvement
7/12 FAI and Labral repair Hip Surgery, Dr Coleman, HSS, 10/12-3/13 99% better!
3/13 Flared - present,
7/14 Ilioinguinal nerve block positive
sneetch

Post by sneetch »

Hi Beverly,

Just curious ... I've heard that some people with bi-lateral labral tears have surgery on both hips at the same time. I take it that you've just had the one done at this stage? I have only had the MR Arthrogram on one hip (confirmed labral tear), but have been told that that I almost certainly have tears in both sides. Was bi-lateral surgery every presented as an option to you? Seems like it would be pretty difficult to recover from!

:-)
Low back pain - 4 yrs
Ovarian Cystectomy + Endo surg - 2009
Persistant anal fissure > Sphincterotomy -2009
Sudden, sharp pain w urination - Mid 2010 > Now
Persistant vulval stinging, burning - (intercourse impossible) Late 2010 > Now
Proctalgia Fugax - 2011 > Now
RH hip pain & clicking - Jan 2012 > Now
Extreme clitoral sensitivity & pain - Feb 2012 > Now
MR Arthrogram confirms Labral tear - May 2012
Hip surgery to repair torn Labrum scheduled 30th Oct 2012
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Good to hear from you Beverly :) You will be so glad that bit is over, I sincerely hope that this resolves more than the hip problems. As you say it's too early to tell, thanks for keeping us posted.
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
beverley

Post by beverley »

No one suggested that I do the second (left) hip because i dont have pain on that side even though i have a torn labrum on that side. The hip that hurts has a Pincer (like a bone spur) and a torn and inflamed Psoas -- both which were fixed in Surgery as well as the labrum. I don't think i have these issues in my other hip. You can have a torn labrum with no pain. All my PN symtpoms are on the bad hip side -- so that is pretty telling.

The one thing no one really talks about is how the surgery really amps up central sensitization and i think it would be even worse if i had done both hips together.

Anyway, still hanging in there and waiting to see if this helps.
prolonged sitting summer -- Vulvar Burning, Vulvadynia, Urinary Frequency, Lower Back Pain, Numbness in Foot, Pain when sitting, Hip Pain
3/12 Potter MRI
3/13 Flared - present,
Jax87

Post by Jax87 »

Keep hanging in there Beverley! Like you've said, you are still super early in your recovery, and I'm sure that things will take awhile to settle down.
We are all rooting for you. :) Thanks for keeping us posted.

I'm waiting on pins and needles (literally) to see Dr. Kelly. My PN symptoms are mostly on my right side too and that is where I get the groin pain even though I have tears in both sides. Lucky us I guess.
Started with vulva itching 2/11. Diagnosed as vulvodynia and then PN in 01/12. Progressed to sitting pain and constant burning. Received 4 nerve blocks with only temporary relief, did year of pelvic PT before being diagnosed with bilateral FAI and hip labral tears 7/12. Did orthopedic PT 1.5 years. 3/13 Arthroscopic hip surgery at HSS with Dr. Kelly. Take cymbalta and lyrica daily. About 97% better than worst point thanks to combo of surgery and meds. Yay!
davemon1953

Post by davemon1953 »

scheduled for both hips 6 weeks apart. going in August 27th. Dx was FAI with some labral tears. Have had Pn symptoms 16 months, have tried everything , PT, coil embolization. No luck so far.
Jax87

Post by Jax87 »

Wow, davemom, that is fast. I hope it gets to the root of your problem. In what state are you located? I'm just curious because I am anxious to hear what my doctor in NY will say... Good luck and keep us posted!

Hugs,
Jackie
Started with vulva itching 2/11. Diagnosed as vulvodynia and then PN in 01/12. Progressed to sitting pain and constant burning. Received 4 nerve blocks with only temporary relief, did year of pelvic PT before being diagnosed with bilateral FAI and hip labral tears 7/12. Did orthopedic PT 1.5 years. 3/13 Arthroscopic hip surgery at HSS with Dr. Kelly. Take cymbalta and lyrica daily. About 97% better than worst point thanks to combo of surgery and meds. Yay!
pregmom

Post by pregmom »

Hello all:

I just got my results back from my Hip MRI at HSS. Low and behold I have a chronically torn degenerative anterosuperior labrum with foci of intralabral ossification. Not entirely sure what that means for me.

All my pain is left sided, all situated at the Obturator Internus; no burning, just PAIN with extreme tenderness and allodynia from lower left vulva back to inside sits bone, also tenderness inside left vaginal wall. All exacerbated with sitting! I had left sided hip pain many years ago, which came back after internal PT last round (summer 2011), but then dissipated with time.

If you don't really have alot of 'active' hip pain, how do you know if this avenue is worth pursuing?
beverley

Post by beverley »

HI all: i am 4 1/2 weeks post op and am feeling REALLY GOOD!! It was rough at the beginning -- my whole pubic area was numb which scared the hell out me. MY PN flared and i had some moments when i was like "oh my god, this is worse". BUT, i am significantly better. My hip pain is gone but my Psoas is still a bit sensitive. The only thing i would have done differently is talked to my OS about protecting the puic area when did the surgery. General sesitization is really an issue for a lot of us and i didnt realize how much pressure was going to be put on my pubic bone. My Physical Therapist said i am recovering really well -- before the surgery i swam every day and worked out like i was training for the olympics so i would be strong post surgery. I almost feel like the PN is completely gone. I believe you need to be very proactive about managing your recovery and if you sit and bed and do nothing the PN gets worse post surgery. This is what has helped me so far:

Lots of Pelvic floor PT: this is critical as your OI, adductors and other muscles freak out post surgery. I wish i had done it right away instead of waiting two weeks.

Massage and using a trigger point roller: to get all the trigger points

Chiro: i have SIJD and my whole pelvis felt very misaligned so i have had 4-5 adjustments

SIJD belt: just started wearing this again and it helps keep the SI joint in place

Iceing: i kept my "Game Ready" the professional icing machine an extra two weeks and still ice every day

Positive attitude/meditation/relaxation!

Valium suppositories and Elavil

If anyone wants to talk on the phone PN me and good luck.
3/12 Potter MRI
3/13 Flared - present,

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”