Hip surgery or Pudendal Surgery first?

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Meliora

Hip surgery or Pudendal Surgery first?

Post by Meliora »

Hip surgery or Pudendal Surgery? I have appointments with a hip surgeon and also a PN surgeon. I had decided on PN surgery first, since PN is making me quite miserable. My first hip doctor had never seen a PN patient oddly enough and advised PN surgery first, as that is my most challenging problem. I am getting a second opinion from a surgeon that knows more about the two together. I wanted to know from those with hip issues, which surgery did you do first? Are you happy with the results? Would you have done anything different?

Also would welcome any thoughts from those without hip issues! :)

This is such a tough call. My family is very ready for me to get things taken care of.
shljk

Re: Hip surgery or Pudendal Surgery first?

Post by shljk »

I had pudendal decompression Aug 1, 2011 and then fell Jan 2, 2012. Fast forward a few months and I find out I have bilateral FAIN labral tears, and mild dysplasia. I really wish I had gotten my hips checked before pudendal surgery. Hip surgery has helped some people's PN pain improve. Pudendal surgery is not without its risks; I still don't feel better after mine. If hip surgery doesn't help, then you still have the option of a pudendal surgery. That's a better scenario than the one I'm facing: having hip PT and possible surgery with a super-irritated pudendal nerve (with possible new entrapment due to scar tissue from the surgery)
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I would have to agree with shljk, Meliora, Although I have had neither op so maybe shouldn't comment. However the posts from people who do have hip issues on here seem to point to the fact that the hip issue could be fully or partially causing the PN. There are more and more people discovering that they have labral tears etc which may at least be contributing to pelvic nerve problems. As I understand it a hip op is an 'easier' (less invaisive?) option recovery wise than pudendal surgery. However as I said I'm not the best person to comment.
I know that there has been quite a bit of discussion on here and in general folks do seem to opt for hip surgery, if needed, before and pudendal. Can only say what I have read tho, all second hand info, hopefully others more knowledgeable will comment.
Take care,
helen
Last edited by helenlegs 11 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Faith

Post by Faith »

Not sure exactly what your hip issues are, but you may want to join the forum Hip Chicks United. There's a lot of good info on there. http://hipchicksunite.ning.com/
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

I have heard that neurosurgeons prefer that orthopaedic issues be dealt with first.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com

Return to “SURGERY”