Great seat cushion

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
lindsayg

Great seat cushion

Post by lindsayg »

I finally found a seat cushion that's comfortable and keeps my entire sensitive area from touching anything. It's called the twin cheeks cushion and is available from cushionyourassets.com. Works great in the car, airplane and at my desk. I am heavy, so it was recommended that I get the extra firm so I don't flatten the cushion as I have with other products. You can also order a cold pack to fit in the opening, but I haven't tried that yet.
Diagnosed with vulvadynia 2009
Diagnosed with PFD 2011 Dr. Andrew Goldstein in D.C. Started pt for one year, didnt help
Diagnosed with PN Dr. John McDonald UCLA Jan. '12
Had 3 pudendal nerve blocks with Dr. Hibner 2012
Had Botox shots Oct '12. Worked great for 6-7 weeks. Had them again Feb.14th 2013 didn't help
Am currently being treated by Dr. Prager in LA.
GraceUnderFire

Re: Great seat cushion

Post by GraceUnderFire »

This looks pretty amazing as cushions go. How is it working for you?
Woke screaming from ab hyst 6/08
Diagnosed w/PN, ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neuralgias 1/09
3 PN blocks w/Dr Quesada
Rt side TIR, ilioinguinal neurectomy & vestibulectomy 5/09 Dr Conway
Left side TIR 2/10 Dr Conway
Potter MRI 9/10 and consultation w/Loretta & Dr Hibner 12/10
Bilateral ilioinguinal, iliohypogastric, genitofemoral release w/Dr. Hashemi Aug 2011 left & Sept rt
Bilateral TG surgery w/Dr. Conway will be in January 2012
lindsayg

Post by lindsayg »

Yes, I think I finally found the right cushion for me!
Diagnosed with PFD 2011 Dr. Andrew Goldstein in D.C. Started pt for one year, didnt help
Had Botox shots Oct '12. Worked great for 6-7 weeks. Had them again Feb.14th 2013 didn't help
nebbias01

Post by nebbias01 »

I bought a pillow from "cushion your assets.com" and it is wonderful. It was expensive but worth every penny. I have pudendal neuralgia in my anal area and the pillow is like 2 pontoons with space in the middle for my "assets." With the pillow I can drive again,and sit down in restaurants and go to the movies. My problem is not gone but with the cushion and 2 new medications I have more good days than bad days.
nebbias01
lindsayg

Post by lindsayg »

Sorry it took me so long to write back. What were the 2 new medicines?
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Your post was from months ago but just wonderd what meds helped ur anal pain and was it throbbing pain?
Mine is and its located at anal opening and on down to just under the buttock.... (bad nerve result) cause pain... before then I had buttock sit bone and right sided vulva pain. but they were not as bad as the anal issue...
Thx
nebbias01

Post by nebbias01 »

Sorry it took me so long to reply. The medications I referred to were Lyrica and Lactulose. Lactulose is great for my constipation due to other meds. I don't have to push hard anymore. Lyrica was good for nerve pain (in my anal area) but became too expensive for me when I started on Medicare Part D. So I am back to taking the generic for Neurontin which is Gabapentin. I take up to 4 of the 600 mg. tablets daily. The Neurontin makes me drowsy so I can't drive after taking it.
I hope this helps someone. My "Cushion your assets" "Twin Cheeks" cushions are still wonderful.
Nebbias 01
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Nebbia
Thanks for writing about what helps your anal pain. So glad you found something that helps you!
I have been working with pain mgmt, but am looking for any suggestions regarding managing anal pain.
Is yours the throbbing/aching kind of pain? I have the latter, ... like having a bad toothache in the anal opening and on down to the butt cheek.

I had tried Lyrica but never went up too high as I get urinary hesitancy/weak stream etc. from some meds and I tend to quit the medicine when that symptom starts.
If this helped with the above type of pain, its something to keep in mind.

Also I am dealing with severe constipation that comes on and off,from the opiod mix of meds.. So for the time being Im looking for an effective laxative.
I had it working well with taking with Duclolax but now have to go even higher on that..and don't want to, as its very strong and can nausea.

I have heard that lactulose can cause cramping / it did with me when I tried it awhile back...but that's better than nausea or other side effects.
Did you have any cramping?
Since Lyrica and neurontin aren't opiods they probably are easier on the digestive system and less constipating than opiods?
Does anyone know if Lactulose helps with 'opiod induced' constipation?
Thanks again for the seat cushion info and good luck

The seat cushion sounds great.
My anal pain (nerve pain ) is so intense that every cushion has not worked .. I just need a cushion that would allow me to drive short distances and eat in restaurants etc.
If the anal area doesn't touch a surface and " hangs free" I might be all right. Is that how it works?
Thanks for any info in advance!
Kathy
nebbias01

Post by nebbias01 »

I am sorry you are so uncomfortable, Kathy. I have my good days and my bad days. My pain is usually burning like having a fire up my anal area. Sometimes I have soreness and it feels like a toothache but mostly my pain is burning, especially after a bowel movement.
I do use fentanyl patches and oxycodone for pain management, I get gas from the Lactulose but no cramps or nausea. I also have hemorrhoids that make for additional discomfort.I use a hydrocortisone suppository (prescription required) to shrink the hemorrhoids. I use a sitz bath often (several times on some bad days.)
Neurontin available in generic has really helped. I don't like to take it during the day because it makes me sleepy but take 1500 to 1800 mg at night. I needed to build up a tolerance for Neurontin even though it is not addictive. On a bad day I will take another 600mg tablet of Neurontin during the day and a little less at night. I was advised about this medication by a doctor and take this medication as prescribed. I cannot take more than 2400 mg daily without a physician's approval.
The "twin cheeks" cushions from Cushionyourassets.com are still working wonderfully after one year. I have 2. I put them in pillow cases to keep them clean (and not to have to explain what they are.) I have told my physicans about them, Trudy, if you read this post. I hope you find something that makes you more comfortable, Kathy.
Sometimes I think about surgery and wish that a long term nerve block that will just block the sensory and not the motor nerves
was available. Can anyone tell me about a successful long term nerve block or surgery?
I hope you get some relief, Kathy.
Nebbias 01 (Susan)
nebbias01

Post by nebbias01 »

Kathy, I also take Miralax daily and stool softener 2 of the 100mg. gels daily (without laxative) for constipation in addition to the Lactulose. How much Lactulose are you taking? I take 30ml 3x a day. That means 2 tbsp 3 times a day. It is very sweet and I brush my teeth afterwards. The store brand of stool softener works just as well as the name brand for a fraction of the price.
I have increased the fiber in my diet and drink plenty of water. I have increased the fiber in an easy way. I make the instant oatmeal with high fiber (10 gms) maple and brown sugar or another flavor that is available in high fiber and mix it with 1/3 c. Bran Buds cereal . I add 1/2 cup of hot water and at the table after I mix it up, I add almonds and fruit like strawberries, or raisins). The nuts and fruit also add fiber. I mix mix milk with Miralax and pour it over the cereal. It is delicious. Adding Miralax to the cereal directly affects the taste. I found that adding the Miralax to the milk doesn't change the taste at all.
This is what I have tried and what seems to work for me much of the time. I was told that a person who has not had a bowel movement for 3 days is constipated especially if the bowel movement is hard.
My grown daughter thought she was constipated if she did not have a bowel movement after each meal. Check with with your physician about his or her definition of constipation. I was surprised to learn about the "3 day definition."'
I hope you find some relief.
nebbias01 (Susan)

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”