Any experience with this type of pain management?

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
Bill W

Any experience with this type of pain management?

Post by Bill W »

Whenever I post anything, I never feel much need to describe pain as we all have it. I've had PN for nearly 7 years now. This past year has been very intense with no breaks. After a lifetime of working, I've recently gone on disability. Very hard decision, but with travel and such........I'm done. It was actually a drive of only a couple of hundred miles that sort of finished me off. Brutal pain and I decided I could do no more.

That's just a little update. What I'm really writing about is a Pain Management Rehabilitation Therapy that the Cleveland Clinic is suggesting. I'd like to think I'm opened minded, but the structure of this troubles me. It 3 1/2 weeks of all kinds of psychological, meditation, coping skills, some PT etc. Probably emphasizing how to deal with pain than anything.

During my time with PN, I've seen 13 doctors, had nerve blocks, tried neurostimulation, PT, accupuncture, countless medications and god only knows what I'm forgetting. I have done every single thing suggested or asked.

Whether I'm right or wrong, I found the presentation of this almost offensive. Please forgive my cynicism, but like a lot of us, I've been through a lot and have done it in good cheer. Maybe the jerk in me finally wanted to lash out and ask is a" group hug" all I've needed as you've cut, stuck and probed me?

Sorry, maybe it was the context of how this was done.

The real point of this post is to ask if anyone has ever been involved in anything of this nature and if it actually helped?

Thanks,

Bill
Lernica

Re: Any experience with this type of pain management?

Post by Lernica »

I've actually heard that this type of therapy is very useful. It's aim is to teach you how to live as full a life as you can with chronic pain. I would not dismiss it out of hand at all!
Some of the testimonials in Dr. Jon Kabatt-Zinn's landmark book, Full Catastrophe Living are quite amazing about how such a clinic completely changed their relationship with pain and made it much more bearable. The brain's power over chronic pain is quite remarkable.

Doing the clinic and pursuing treatment to put an end to your pain are not mutually exclusive. You can do both! Good luck and please let us know how it goes if you decide to go ahead with it.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
ezer

Post by ezer »

I did quite a bit of pain management through meditation, relaxation etc... I even volunteered to participate in an experimental study at Stanford that used a functional-MRI to give visual brain activity feedback on various relaxation techniques.
Well, it only goes so far. I can safely say that while you are applying those techniques you can indeed make the pain less intrusive. But it does not last long. 30 minutes later the effect is pretty much gone. It is not that you can meditate all day long in today's life.
Maybe for mild back pain it is very helpful. For gnawing pudendal pain, I am not convinced.

Peter Levine (author of the classic Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma on PTSD has a book called Freedom from Pain: Discover Your Body's Power to Overcome Physical Pain with an associated CD with most of the techniques included. Most books on the subject try to sell you on some seminar they sell but not this one.
For example, one of the simple and most effective techniques is to simply imagine that you breathe in into your painful pelvic area one time and the next time you breathe in into a non painful are. You keep alternating between the 2. After a while, you effectively feel less pain in the painful area.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
nyt

Post by nyt »

I have often thought about one of these clinics but physically I could never handle anything that intensive. I do think you would find useful information and techniques there but I'm not totally convinced you couldn't find much of what you need by finding a good local therapist that specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or a therapist that works with chronic pain patients and reading alot of books on pain. I have read many books from the library on pain and the themes are very much the same but one does pick up helpful tips in each book. None of them are cures and like Ezer says don't last long but they are just more tools in the arsenal to help. I have found the website Goalistics quite helpful and it is an online pain management program that is $30.00/year. Good luck and let us know what you think if you decide to participate in the program.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
calluna

Post by calluna »

I have never been offered a place on one of these courses, but I have worked my way through learning CBT in sessions with a psychologist. The techniques that I learned are things that I now use every day, they have become automatic really. However if I were offered a place on such a course, I would take it like a shot.

I think you are spot on, the way that something like this is offered can be absolutely key. It should not make anyone feel patronised, or that they are being told it is all 'in their head'.

And I doubt there will be any group hugs. ;)
Bill W

Post by Bill W »

Thanks everyone,
I don't know what I'll end up doing, but I have a little different perspective.
My initial appointment was scheduled by the doctor I normally see. I don't think he understands this pain mgmt. rehab completely as he talked in terms of possibly getting more effective medication. He's at the Cleve. Clinic as well.

His notes to them described me as a person with a very high tolerance to pain, who was suffering badly. Obviously they had my records of surgeries, procedures, therapies etc.

This appointment lasted almost 4 hours. Endless forms and questions. All of that is fine, but I had a clear sense that I was being molded for their one and only product. I didn't even know what it was, other than 1 size fits all and I'd be an idiot not to buy. ;) Very strange. It felt as though someone was trying to sell me a time share.

The doctor involved wanted to know why I didn't walk around with malice for what had been done. His one assertion was that everyone whose touched me has hurt me! Why not try us and help yourself??? I calmly told him that I've only seen people trying to help me. I'd love a greater outcome, but people weren't hurting me.

There were a lot of things that didn't seem right and I won't bore you with them. The most serious thing to me is that I felt as though people were trying to sell the one and only thing THEY had. I never felt any great regard for me and the reason I was there.

If I do anything with this I'll at least let everyone know what experiences / results I might get.

Thanks again,

Bill
ezer

Post by ezer »

Chronic pain is big business for a lot of people selling holistic treatments. I am a little bit cynical I must confess. You hear about success stories mainly in books, in "anonymous" testimonials, and on the Amazon reviews but rarely in forums or in real life.
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
ezer

Post by ezer »

Sunil,
I sincerely hope that you have finally found a solution. You deserve a break after all you have been through.
Bill W

Post by Bill W »

Sunil,
I went back and read your posts. God, you've really been put through it. Horrible suffering. I'm glad this has given you some relief and I really hope it continues to help. All of my best thoughts on your journey.
Bill

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”