flying for surgery

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Meliora

flying for surgery

Post by Meliora »

It looks like I may be headed for surgery in Europe (distal entrapment). Any ideas for flying when sitting is well, impossible! How do you deal with take off/landing? I am considering buying a few seats or a lay down seat. How have you that have flown dealt with this? I am a wreck.....I last no more than an hour laying down in the back of a mini van for travel! :(
nyt

Re: flying for surgery

Post by nyt »

I always purchased two seats. I travel with ice packs to sit on, a note from my family dr. reuqesting that I be allowed to stand as much as the airline considers safe, and extra pain medication. You will need to sit during take off and landing. I usually lean on my side and put my feet up on the second seat during take off and landing.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Ray P.

Post by Ray P. »

If you can afford business class, that worked for me. I could not afford it coming back from France after surgery, but I talked my way into it or they felt sorry for me.

Going over I paid for one seat, but had five to lay down on, one yr. after 911, planes were empty. I never would of made it in one seat.
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Are yu going to Professor Aszmann?

TC,
Ali
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
wendy7

Post by wendy7 »

Hello,

I bought two seats for my ride back home from Arizona. Are you having both sides done, or one side done?

I only had one side done, so when I bought my tickets, I purchased two seats, so that I could sit on my good butt cheek. LOL. I also bought the ticket, so that I could lean up against the plane and not have to sit in between two people. That gives a bit more space. I don't know if you can lie down in planes anymore, as they want seatbelts on, but it could be something to inquire with, when you buy your tickets. Maybe they can make an exception for you, if you let them know what your disability is.

Take care,
Wendy
Unlilateral Surgery 9/27/07 - Dr. Conway
Redo Unlilateral Surgery 10/15/10 - With Dr. Hibner AND Dr. Conway
Results - Fantastic!
Meliora

Post by Meliora »

Thank you for all the ideas to help with flying! I am in a bad pain flair right now, so even car travel is awful.

Ali, yes I would be seeing Dr. Aszmann. What was your experience with him?
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

He couldn't solve my problem ,but otherwise he is a pure gentleman and a very talented doctor.

Take care,
Ali
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
Meliora

Post by Meliora »

Has anyone used Dr. Possover or know anything about his surgery? Thanks! I am not sure if I need Dr. Aszmann or Possover. I have additional issues that may need Possover, but like Aszmann very much from discussion.
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi Melora,

He only does the sacral roots and not the Pudendal nerve.

Take care,
Ali
Meliora

Post by Meliora »

Thanks Ali! Did you ever contact Possover for surgery? Just curious if you considered him for surgery. I thought he was doing more than just sacral roots, but I plan on calling next week to verify. I am still highly considering Aszmann as well.

Return to “SURGERY”