Advice on Consultants

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
Brighton84

Advice on Consultants

Post by Brighton84 »

I am new to this board and not yet diagnosed.

I have been diagnosed with various pelvic problems but I still haven't found anything which fits my symptoms better than PN.However, I know that pelvic pain is very hard to diagnose as symptoms overlap often and therefore am wary of self diagnosis.

If I were to seek the advice of a consultant, who would people on this board recommend?

The three uk consultants listed on this website are in Manchester/Bristol/Cardiff - I live in Brighton so all three places are pretty much the same distance, so that's not an issue.

Does anyone have any experience of one or all of them?

Many thanks,

Isobel
calluna

Re: Advice on Consultants

Post by calluna »

Hello Isobel and welcome to the boards.

Actually there is no consultant in Cardiff - not that we know of, at any rate?

There are four consultants in the UK who have an interest in PN. Dr Andrew Baranowski, also Dr Natasha Curran, both of these are in London. There is Dr de Mello in Manchester, and there is Dr Greenslade who is at Frenchay Hospital, near Bristol. We have heard very good reports of all of them.

Looking at the list on the main website here - from what I've heard, Prof Carlstedt is retired now. Mr Wong is one of the surgeons who works with Dr Greenslade. Dr Greenslade refers people to one of several surgeons depending on what he thinks is appropriate. He is not a surgeon himself, he is a consultant anaesthetist, as are most Pain Management Consultants. He referred me to Mr Dixon, also at Frenchay.

I am one of Dr Greenslade's patients, and really I cannot speak too highly of him. He is a lovely kind man, very knowledgeable, and very easy to talk to. He is also, I have been told, very much a perfectionist - just what one wants in a doctor. He has been my anaesthetist at both of the surgeries that I have had at Frenchay. I have had all my treatment through the NHS and it has not cost me a penny - well, apart from my prescription prepayment certificate.

I'm sure that you would be absolutely fine with any of these consultants though - people speak highly of all of them.

Please do let us know how things go on.
Brighton84

Post by Brighton84 »

Hi Cullana,

Thankyou very much for your reply. I have contacted a couple of them now to get an idea of waiting lists/private consultation prices.

It seems that Bristol might be a better option for me rather than London as Dr Baranowski's NHS waiting list is 6 months and it's £425 for a consultation... A little out of my price range. But I'll also look into Dr Natasha Curran. When I spoke to Dr Greenslade's secretary though, I got the feeling they were very tuned into these kinds of problems.

I don't know I have PN for sure, I just know I have pain when sitting. Hopefully seeing one of the above might be able to help me get some answers, information and relief!

Will keep you updated and in the meantime - thankyou very much for providing such useful information on this board!

Best Wishes,
Isobel
molly

Post by molly »

Hi Isobel,,

I have been seen by blth the london team and Df Greenslade. Personally Ifound Dr Greenslade a lot more patient focused ans empathetic than the london team, he is also a lot cheaper to see privately.

Dr Greenslade does do diagnosgic nerve blocks and used to refer some people onto london, Idon,t know if this is still the case. He is also in contact with the Nantes team which Idon,t think the London team are.

Hope this is helpful.

Molly

Return to “UK & IRELAND”