New Person with Pudendal Nerve Disorder

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Lernica

Re: New Person with Pudendal Nerve Disorder

Post by Lernica »

The gold standard for detecting labral hip hears is an MRI with contrast (dye injected into the hip joint). So you could have a labral tear in your right hip which may be contributing to your painful OI. It is common for people with a labral tear in one hip to also have a tear in the other. This is because in most cases (barring trauma such as a fall on one side), early hip degeneration is usually due to structural abnormalities in the pelvis (which are usually bilateral) e.g. mild hip dysplasia. According to my orthopaedic surgeon, most people with labral tears have mild hip dysplasia.

I do think it sounds like you would benefit from a visit to an arthroscopic hip surgeon. I'm guessing that you have trouble walking because of pain? In my experience, people who have trouble walking because of pelvic pain also have some hip pathology.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
ritak

Post by ritak »

Hi Lernica,
I have had trouble walking due to my bunionectomy on my right foot I had 20 some years ago. There was no cartilage left and they had to shorten my big toe.Without realizing just how great a problem this was going to be I started to use my second toe to balance. That through my gait off. I started to use muscles to walk that were not meant for walking. My quads especially. You are supposed to use your hamstrings and gluts to walk and somewhere down the line I quit using mine and they became weak. That along with leaning on my left hip at my job ( dental assisting) my pelvis started to rotate. It took years before I knew I had a problem and just how complex it was. I along with whatever person I am working with at the time are trying to unravel all of that. I will keep in mind the labral tear issue though.I saw a different body worker last week that did some fascial work and since then my big toe is hitting the ground and I am walking straighter. This has not happened in years so I am keeping my fingers crossed that he is on to something. thanks for all of your advice.
perineal pain started may 2011
continue to take Tramadol daily, Vicodin as needed
Dr Antolak diagnosed PN in Jan 2012, not sure about his diagnosis
recomendations he gave me were injections....which I decided not to do
currently seeing Dr Chad Beiler for chiropractic treatment. all of my many practitioners have diagnosed me with pelvic instability, a rotated right leg and pelvis,femoralacetabular impingement left hip,muscle spasm in obturatur internus muscle
about 70% better
konedog4

Post by konedog4 »

Made the decision to go back to Canada for another session of shockwave therapy in January next year. This will be my second visit. I am at least 50% better after the first visit, but still have some pudendal impingement on the right side. Hopefully the next session will concentrate on the problem area and free it. All the gains achieved in October have stayed with no regression. I can sit again for the first time in 2 years. Still need further improvement to claim a cure.

kone
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Wow, that's great Kone! Good luck in January -- I know you will keep us posted.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
ritak

Post by ritak »

Kone, great news for you. I hope that your second visit takes care of the remains!!!!!!!
perineal pain started may 2011
continue to take Tramadol daily, Vicodin as needed
Dr Antolak diagnosed PN in Jan 2012, not sure about his diagnosis
recomendations he gave me were injections....which I decided not to do
currently seeing Dr Chad Beiler for chiropractic treatment. all of my many practitioners have diagnosed me with pelvic instability, a rotated right leg and pelvis,femoralacetabular impingement left hip,muscle spasm in obturatur internus muscle
about 70% better
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Good news Kone :) . The very best of luck.
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
konedog4

Post by konedog4 »

My appointment is in the first week in February. I will post the results afterwards.

kone
konedog4

Post by konedog4 »

I had a colonoscopy today. I have read where others with pudendal neuropathy have had trouble with this procedure and so I approached it with a bit of apprehension. Fortunately, the procedure did not aggravate the pudendal nerve whatsoever.

The 50% improvement in my condition from Shockwave therapy (last October) has remained, and perhaps even gotten a bit better. Two days ago, I sat on a hard McDonalds bench seat for 2 hours with no ill-effects. Now had the seat been cushioned, it might have been a different story. I do better on hard seats than those with cushions. Cushions seem to press more on the pudendal perineum, and over time, cause an ache. Before Shockwave, I could not sit for more than 5 minutes on any surface without severe pain. I am really enjoying being able to sit again. I am also able to run a bit, and I am doing a bit more in terms of physical exercise, such as push-ups, and light weights. It is a pleasure to exercise again.

Two weeks from today, weather permitting, I will be in Cornwall, Ontario again for more shockwave therapy, hoping and praying that even more improvement can be achieved.

To anyone considering shockwave therapy, I certainly recommend Dr. Kirk Andrews as a highly competent chiropractor and physical therapist. It is expensive, most insurance plans will not cover any of the costs, but it is a reasonable therapy to try before considering surgery. It does not work for everyone, for no two pudendal cases are the same, but it has worked for me. It gave me hope that perhaps someday I will be free of this condition.

kone
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Fantastic news kone. Wow!
Hoping that the next lot works as well.
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Yay! It's so great to hear a success story. ;)
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”