Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal pain?

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Elmwood

Re: Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal p

Post by Elmwood »

Assuming I was reading your question properly Anne, you should definitely see the hip/pne pain as a connection. Seems like a pretty big coincidence that so many of us suffer from both.

I had my left hip operated on yesterday. The surgeon said that I basically had no cartilage left and that he had to fill it in with cartilage from somewhere else? I was pretty out of it when I spoke with him so i'll have to double check with him about that aspect when I have my follow up. And he said something to my girlfriend to the effect "no wonder he's been having so many symptoms." When I first met with him a few months back he didn't really believe in hip/pn connection. But prior to my surgery one of the nurses mentioned the perineal post that Faith had mentioned. She saw the note in my charts about PN and mentioned that the post could exacerbate things. We'll see. Anyway, on the mend now. Pretty out of it and am falling asleep as I type. But if anybody has questions about the surgery process please ask.

We've got a pretty good thread going here and I think its helped a lot of people. Its certainly helped me. Lets keep it up.
Scrotal pain and tingling started in 1999. Soreness after ejaculation. Occasional numbness in Scrotum. Some urinary frequency. Symptoms disappeared for 3 years in 07 and came back in 2010. Tingling and tickling in penis 2011. Pain in buttocks with sitting started in July of 2012. Not much success with PT. Tried the usual meds with some success, but didn't like the side effects. Dr. Potter MRI revealed pelvic floor varices. Both hips opperated on in 2013 for FAI. Some help with supplements.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Wow, Elmwood, good for you! Sorry the surgeon's findings weren't better. I wonder how you lost so much cartilage? Did they find a bony impingement there that could have been shredding it?

Be prepared for a long and painful recovery, but it's worth it.

Re: the perineal post. So far none of us (Beverley, Faith, me) have had worsening PN symptoms from it. But please don't be alarmed if you develop some genital numbness. This happened to me, but it only lasted a couple of weeks. It is a fairly common post-op complication but it is never long-lasting. There is even a journal article about it somewhere.

Sincere wishes for a speedy and full recovery, and that it be the solution to your pain, both hip and PN.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Griff522

Post by Griff522 »

Elmwood, I'm glad to hear your surgery went well. Isn't it gratifying when a doctor sees the problem and finally realizes the pain you must've been experiencing this whole time!!! I pray you have a speedy and full recovery and are able to get back to a real life again.

Anne, I had a cortizone shot in my hip even though I didn't have a whole lot of hip pain. I have to say after a few days, the cortizone did help lessen my PN symptoms. But I have other issues (2 hernias) that my hip dr wants me to fix first so that is my next step. Try it -- it might help.
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum
Elmwood

Post by Elmwood »

Thanks Griff and my other mother (Lernica) for your encouraging words.

There was an impingement that was doing the damage but we knew about that going in. I've had these PN issues for 13ish years so if it is the hip causing the problems that would probably explain why there was nearly no cartilage left. My concern is that the surgery won't help my PN issues since there was so little cartilage left to work with. I don't know if anybody has any theories yet as to why torn labrums cause the PN but I assume the bone on bone sends a ripple effect throughout the area. And since I'm still going to have bone on bone to a certain degree I'm worried i'll still have the PN issues. Time will tell I suppose.

The recovery so far is a bit painful but mostly frustrating. There's only so many House Hunters International I can watch before getting really bored. If the Patriots win tomorrow that will go a long way towards helping my recovery.

Thanks again for everybodys advice and kind words
Scrotal pain and tingling started in 1999. Soreness after ejaculation. Occasional numbness in Scrotum. Some urinary frequency. Symptoms disappeared for 3 years in 07 and came back in 2010. Tingling and tickling in penis 2011. Pain in buttocks with sitting started in July of 2012. Not much success with PT. Tried the usual meds with some success, but didn't like the side effects. Dr. Potter MRI revealed pelvic floor varices. Both hips opperated on in 2013 for FAI. Some help with supplements.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Elmwood,

What discussions have you had with your OS about an eventual hip replacement? There are people on the Hip Chicks Unite website who have had their hips replaced at 40 years of age or younger because of cartilage loss. I'm 53 and have been told that I will eventually also be a candidate for hip replacement due to the loss of cartilage in my hips. I'm not wasting any time for a consultation and am seeing a hip replacement surgeon next month!
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Best of luck Elmwood. At least you have found a very probable explanation but I'm hopeful there will be more benefits too . I hope it does make an improvement to you PN problems. Everything crossed for that.
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Best wishes to you Elmwood, for a good recovery!
Do you have to have the other hip done, too, or is this it? As if the one side isn't enough ...
Is your OS prescribing PT for you?
Best of regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Elmwood

Post by Elmwood »

Thanks ladies.

I do have to get the right hip done too. The OS figures we'd better do it sooner than later considering how bad the left one was. He said he hopes to get 5 to 10 years out of this surgery and then get my hip replaced. I'm 35 and he said they don't find giving replacements to people under 40 is all that effective. As for PT I think they are going to see how things progress. I had the surgery less than 72 hours ago and I already feel like I could walk without crutches and I feel really good. I can't imagine that i'll really need to be on crutches for the full 6 weeks but we'll see. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the doctors know more about this stuff than me.

I haven't been back to the hip chicks website in a while but I probably should. Its just a bit frustrating to use after using PudendalHope which is such a breeze to use.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Oh, dear. I'm sorry you have to have the right done, too. Did your OS indicate how long you should wait between surgeries?
Elmwood wrote: I had the surgery less than 72 hours ago and I already feel like I could walk without crutches and I feel really good.
Yaaaay! :D Do you know if this is some kind of "honeymoon" period, or is immediate, reduced pain the norm?
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Elmwood,

Don't you dare go off your crutches before six weeks unless your OS gives you the go ahead. Your hip is very fragile and vulnerable right now and you could do a lot of damage if you do, no matter how good your hip feels now. And you're right, during your recovery from the scope you'll get the benefit of a lot of good experience and advice from the folks on Hip Chicks Unite. Once you start using it you'll get used to its different format.

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”