Pramipexole

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
Mod 6

Pramipexole

Post by Mod 6 »

Hi,

I have been taking the drug pramipexole/Mirapex, and I believe I am getting benefit from it. Although this drug is actually for Parkinson's disease, there have been numerous studies showing this drug to be astonishingly effective for fibromyalgia.

It is a dopamine agonist, which means that it acts like dopamine in the brain. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter involved in motion control.

I am tolerating it well with no significant side effects. However, because dopamine is also involved in reward behavior, the drug is known to have some very strange side effects including compulsive shopping and gambling!

Dave
Violet M

Re: Pramipexole

Post by Violet M »

Well, Dave....if you start having any such compulsions towards gambling or shopping let us know and we will have to start a support group for those behaviors. :lol: :lol:

Glad you are finding some relief with this new drug.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Rosemary

Re: Pramipexole

Post by Rosemary »

Afraid this just raised alarm bells for me - that kind of behaviour could be onset of mania.

Rosemary x

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”