Looking for some help pls.

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
ChrisUK

Looking for some help pls.

Post by ChrisUK »

Hi, Hope to get some helpful information as feeling a little desperate at moment and dont know where i can go from here. My problem may or may not be pudendal problem but all feedback greatly welcome. I am in lots of pain right now. Will keep short as typng on my knees which isnt to comfortable. I have had anal fissure last 11 months although has looked healed i still continue to have pain especially when sat down which my job involves lots of. It was def a fissure as was visible to eye and seen several consultants. Had 3 botox injections latest last week. But still i am in so much pain around anus. Seen another consultant today who again said all appears ok apart from skin tag. Can PN or PNE be the cause? I have no sexual dysfunction or other pain elsewhere other than approx site of fissure. Consultant who i regularly see said poss due to being tight down there and spasming. Next step is Sphincterotomy whch has continence risk. Life not great at moment. Chris (male)
catherine a

Re: Looking for some help pls.

Post by catherine a »

Chris, Welcome to HOPE. I'm sure someone here who has had a fissure will make contact and offer some advice. If the pain is muscle tightness due to spasm, you could try an anti-inflammatory suppository.
Only one I know of is Voltaren. It could come under a different name in the UK. Ask your Doc. or pharmacist. It helped me a lot when I had unbearable anal and rectal pain. PN pain can be in one area or another or in all areas.
Another idea would be to try valium suppository but it's not available in all countries. Sounds like you need to get that anal sphincter relaxed.
Have you tried anything like this? Have you tied using ice? do not put frozen ice directly but try a cold compress on the area. it might help. Hope you get it all sorted out soon. Usually with PN the burning pain includes the genitals too.
Botox would normally take about 4 weeks to really kick in. Did you have cortisone along with the Botox as this would definitely cause the pain to get worse for a while but it will settle in time.

Make sure you don't get constipated, bowel stools should be soft and regular. (Every day) Wash with antibacterial wash after every bowel movement to avoid infection. Especially if you have a fissure. (do fissures come about from being constipated? ) Bearing down on the rectum?
I am a great advocate of keeping bowel stools soft and washing with soap and water after every bowel motion.

I understand completely the pain you're experiencing although I've never suffered from a fissure. Hopefully someone will have some more advice for you. Hang in there.

Catherine
2004 PNE following vag. hysterectomy and A & P repair. 2007 TIR surgery France. severe entrapment at Alcocks canal & SS ligaments . Have my life back. 90% cured.No longer have medical appts.or physio.Some pain remains but is tolerable. 2012 Flew from Australia to the UK without pain flare. Very manageable. Almost back to normal. Now hold support group meetings at KEMH Subiaco Perth WA. Every 2nd Sat. of the month. Still pace my activities. PN doesn't dominate any more.
johnd.h

Post by johnd.h »

Hi Chris, I know exactly what you are going through, suffering similar problems in terms of anal pain/stinging. I'm in the UK, Kent, where abouts are you in the UK?

I don't have a fissure so can't comment directly, but when it was originally thought that a fissure was my problem I was prescribed Voltarol Suppositories (guess that's our equivalent of the Voltaren Catherine mentioned). Worth trying to get some. Although I am still to be finally diagnosed I have seen Professor Carlstedt in London and he seems confident Pudendal Nerve is the problem, but I do not have any Genital pain.

No doubt about it, this does affect our quality of life, but with all the help and information we get from HOPE I do believe we can save ourselves a lot of suffering by contacting the right people to help us and get a result.

One thing for sure, I would consult the best before having a Sphincterotomy.

If you need someone to chat to Chris my mobile is (pm'd) just talking about it and knowing you're not the only one to have the problem is in itself quite therapeutic I think.

Kind regards

John
ChrisUK

Post by ChrisUK »

Catherine/john

Thank you so much for your help, support and advice. Today the pain has reached new limits with still no explanation from colorectal consultants. I am a rational, positive thinking man with a beautiful very young family whom i adore but today i am considering taking myself away from this pain for good. The thought of never seeing my family again should be too much but i cannot be the father they need or i want. I feel like life is without hope with unbearable pain.
johnd.h

Post by johnd.h »

ChrisUK wrote:Catherine/john

Thank you so much for your help, support and advice. Today the pain has reached new limits with still no explanation from colorectal consultants. I am a rational, positive thinking man with a beautiful very young family whom i adore but today i am considering taking myself away from this pain for good. The thought of never seeing my family again should be too much but i cannot be the father they need or i want. I feel like life is without hope with unbearable pain.
Chris, just read this. Stop it, you can and will beat this, I have gone through similar thought processes, and I know many others have also. You have both my numbers, you can ring the mobile right now if you need to, I'm at work but can take the call.

Chris, is your wife aware of how desperate you are feeling at this moment? If not, you need to share it with her. I'm worried for myself, but right now more worried for you. Give me a call, we can help each other I'm certain.

John
calluna

Post by calluna »

Chris, I've just read your last post.

Please stop - realise that when your pain is under control, you will not feel like this. Your situation is not without hope, not by any means. It is simply that you are in horrible pain at the moment and it has reached the point where you cannot cope.

I too have been through the mill with colorectal consultants, fissures etc. My pain is now under control - yours will be, too.

I am sure that both your consultant and your GP would be appalled to realise that you are in such pain.

For immediate help, you should either go to A&E (please don't drive yourself though) or ring your GP's out of hours service and tell them what you've told us. They can give you something to deal with the pain, and the out of hours GP will come out to you.

If you are not sure about this, then please ring NHS Direct - the number is 0845 464748 - and tell them what you've told us. I've found them to be very helpful and supportive in such situations.

And in the meantime - ice. I know it sounds overly simplistic but it helps. Packet of frozen peas, if you don't have a gel pack. Wrap it in an old teatowel and put it where it hurts - this is supposed to be for a maximum of 10 minutes in each hour. And then put it back in the freezer, and do it again the next hour.

And don't give up!
calluna

Post by calluna »

By the way, I had fissures before I had the reconstruction surgery last year and have been through the mill with that. I have wondered many times whether the pain which they say is due to spasms is actually due to the pudendal nerve being irritated - the pain is just like PN pain, in that area. (And skin tag is normal after a fissure.)

It is a good idea to get yourself a cushion to sit on - my favourite is a memory foam doughnut cushion from eBay. I also like my widgey pillow from Amazon - boppy pillow is the same thing. Failing that, get an ordinary soft pillow and use that. Only sit with your pillow/cushion.

And remember to use ice!
Kath

Post by Kath »

Hi Chris,

I have just joined this forum, wondering if I have PN or not. I have had problems with anal fissures for the last 6months and had an anal dilation 8 weeks ago. I am told the fissure has healed but I still have discomfort. The anal area feels prickly but the skin supposedly looks fine. The prickly feeling turns into a burning sensation and sitting is still as problematic as when the fissure was open. I don't know who to see next to get a diagnosis, the colorectal surgeon couldn't offer an explanation. When I sit the burning sensations move across the buttock to the top of the thigh. Everything is just uncomfortable including my sit bones.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Welcome to the forum Kathy. If the wound is completely healed maybe you want to be evaluated by a physical therapist for pelvic floor tension. It's possible your pelvic floor tensed up during the original pain and if you are lucky some myofascial release will calm things down. You will know fairly soon if that mode of treatment is going to help so it's often a good place to start. Maybe you also want to use a cushion when you have to sit so you prevent the pain from escalating.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
ChrisUK

Post by ChrisUK »

Hello, thank you to those that responded to my desperation recently. Latest is that I decided on the sphincterotomy on advice of colorectal surgeon 5 weeks ago. Sadly same pain remains and yet again feeling really down. Guess pudendal nerve is only explanation for this ongoing pain. Cannot believe it's coincidence that I get 2 unrelated conditions at the same place at approx same time. Saying that fissure was healed after 6 weeks but went for routine health check with bupa where the doctor gave digital prostate exam which returned pain. I only have pain around anus. No shooting or other area pain, just constant burning. Does this sound like pn problem?

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”