workstation idea

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
Violet M

workstation idea

Post by Violet M »

http://www.juststand.org/

click on the solution/products
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Karyn

Re: workstation idea

Post by Karyn »

I had a sit/stand workstation when I returned to work after my PN surgery. The unit I had was similar to the products from the site, only mine was custom made and went up and down with the push of a button. The disability insurance company I had at the time cut out a section of work counter top and fit it in to blend with the rest of the area. I have to say, it was FABULOUS for standing! Not so much for sitting, though. Having an extremely high intolerance for sitting, I wasn't able to utilize the unit for it's intended use. I would highly recommend a sit/stand workstation to anyone who is able to sit comfortably for 30+ minutes at a time, repeatedly, throughout the day. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of those people. I ended up standing in one spot for hours on end. I would try to sit for 30 minutes at lunch time (with my IC cushtion, of course!). Some days I could pull it off, others I couldn't. Mostly, I would sit at lunch time only because I couldn't bear to stand any longer. The prolonged, static standing exasperated all of my musculoskeletal and neuropathic symptoms tremendously. Although I would take short walks whenever I could, it really didn't help much to walk for a few minutes, only to return to static standing for hours on end. I didn't realize it at the time, but there's tons of peer reviewed literature about the health hazards of prolonged, static standing. It's just too much of a load on the lower lumbar, pelvis and lower extremities. I did this for about six months and really hurt myself.
This is an excellent option if you're working full-time and are able to use the device for it's intended use.
Kind regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
helen1000

Post by helen1000 »

I had the same problem Karyn did. I had two cubes at work. Standing and sitting. Before I tried to working standing I only had neuralgia pain. After I was standing I developed pain in my back. It turned to be disks bulged and herniated. Now I have L3-S1 damage.
I tried to work from my bed at home and developed terrible spasms in my abdominal muscles.

I have read about people damaging knees, ulnar nerve etc from trying to work in all these positions.

I do not know the good answer but standing and working from bed are not something that is acceptable. It just will lead to more damage to already misaligned skeleton.
8 nerve blocks rel 6 w.Met Dr. Peters,Dr. Antolack.Dr. Peters pacemaker,Dr Antolack TG operation.Maigne s.Internal PT at Dr Peters Nothing.PFCN block rel 6 w. PFCN RFA.Nothing.SI joint RFA.Nothing.Left scar tissue removal.Good.SIJD. PT of SI joint ME, and Prolo of SI and PS.Lumbar spine facets turned left. ME. T10-12 facets too wide.T10 turned left.ME and Prolo.Labral tears in left hip, spurs.Will have operation at 09/18/13,Met with Dr Conway.EMG shows left PN problem.Good impression of Dr C.
Painful Man

Post by Painful Man »

I'm afraid I must echo Helen's views on trying to keep working by standing or lying. In my case standing, which I did using computer, eating, reading, watching TV, basically it caused my circulation to fail. Instant varicose veins. Yes, the problem was latent, but standing really brought it on quicker. I just want to emphasize that if people do resort to standing, they should inform themselves about the risks. As for lying (or lying propped up) and trying to do stuff, this caused me neck problems, and awful pain and problems with lower back and buttocks.

Basically, I think for normal human life you need to be able to sit. Our world is designed around sitting, and that's why a solution to PNE is so important.

P_M
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

Yep, the modern world is designed around sitting, P-M, just a shame the human body isn't (and that's without the additional problems of PN/E). So many health problems caused by long term sitting, not that we get that chance! How are you nowadays? I see you're still under Dr.G, as am I.
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
2 -Xray guided double nerve blocks -Dr.Baranowski - no relief.
TP self-massage reduced piriformis pressure on p nerve.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Feb '15. Applying to be referred again to Dr G.
Meliora

Post by Meliora »

http://www.admagic.com/chair/chair.html

I want one of these standing chairs!
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

THAT looks to be a great chair Meliora. It's going to be expensive though as they're too frightened to tell you the price! I just found the same chair on another website, which points out that for the ergonomics to be effective you'd have to buy the hydraulic workstation as well. Start saving!
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
2 -Xray guided double nerve blocks -Dr.Baranowski - no relief.
TP self-massage reduced piriformis pressure on p nerve.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Feb '15. Applying to be referred again to Dr G.
Painful Man

Post by Painful Man »

Hello Birdlife et al

The man is still painful, and currently contemplating surgery at Bristol subject to issues (see UK forum). On the subject of seating, I'm still experimenting with memory foam and trying to adapt the upholstery of normal but sensible chairs. I will report back soon on a discussion I started earlier on seating.

All the best
P_M
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Meliora wrote:http://www.admagic.com/chair/chair.html

I want one of these standing chairs!
I would spend all my time adjusting it,which would lead to further injury/injuries (seriously). Although, if you don't have musculoskeletal issues then perhaps it's the answer. Sure looks nice! :)

In reference to painful man: I've been doing all my Hope posts in a standing position at the computer. Indeed, any computer related work during 2013; which I admit hasn't been a great deal. What I just noticed after reading this topic, on typing a sentence or par', I actually walk around,say, over to the window,then back to the computer. So I'm not actually 'standing' but moving. Having said that, yesterday I readjusted the computer and sat. It was like heaven!(well not quite). Much easier way to work. UNTIL the penalty was exacted: PAIN. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. Think I know what you guys are saying-that's all. Twenty minutes standing at computer today and I'm off, bye!

cheers
Last edited by Jackson on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david s.

Post by david s. »

For my last two years at work, I used a Stance chair and raised my computer monitor & keyboard with milkcrates. Now that my standing in not as good, I use a zero gravity chair and Easychair Workstation. More expensive variations are available at Ergoquest.com.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”