Post nerve block pain HELP

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
shana

Post nerve block pain HELP

Post by shana »

I had a nerve block done by Dr. Kenneth Chapman 2/26/13 so its a little ovr a wk now. Since then my hip pain has gone frm a 3 to a constant 8 (I hv bad hips had 1 labral repair in 2011 but stil in pain) the pain radiates down to my ankles which I never experienced before. Its very painful to walk especially stairs and sitting causes my hips to go crazy (besides of course the "regular" pain I've been hvng) is this normal? I happened to hv a scheduled appointment with Dr. Coleman at HSS today and he doesn't understand why the hip pain got worse aftr the nerve block. Anybody know what this cld b?
Thanx
Shana
'08 diagnosed with vulvar vestibulitis
'09 vestibulectomy-Dr. Goldstein-failed
'11 right labral repair and release-Dr. Coleman
2/10-8/12 severe depression, minimal dr appointmen
4 different physical therapists '08-'12 no improvement whatsoever
'13 pudendal nerve blocks-Dr. Chapman
More PT
Dr. Conway officially diagnosed PN/PNE 7/13
9/13 Bilateral hip repair Dr. Coleman
10/13-5/14 Major Depression, no dr appointments
More PT
6/14 Dr. Hibner confirmed diagnosis
Looking for help..hoping for answers
Violet M

Re: Post nerve block pain HELP

Post by Violet M »

Shana, what kind of nerve block was it?

I'm sorry things got worse for you. There are reports from some patients of very bad reactions or results from nerve blocks although it is uncommon and usually temporary.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
shana

Post by shana »

I had an image guided bilater nerve block where dr chapman used a fluoroscopy and I told him when I felt him near the nerve. The block did not give me any pain relief and since I have pain in my back both hips radiating down to my ankles. I do have bad hips but never had this much pain that every movement hurts. I never had radiating pain before. I had a scheduled appointment with dr. Coleman last week and he's not understanding why my hip pain is worse. I spoke to dr chapman physicians assistant and she says it very rare (I tend to get every rate side effect possible) side effect but it can happen and if it doesn't go away by tue I need to come in to the office. I have a follow up scheduled with him the following Mon so I'm just going to wait til then either way. But I'm 28 and my 80 year old grandmother walks better than me!!!
More PT
More PT
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Shana, some people have reported that steroid nerve blocks flare-up pain. I experienced this for about a month after one of my nerve blocks but it slowly faded. Epidural steroid injections can cause arachnoiditis but it sounds like yours were pudendal nerve blocks.

Maybe your doc will prescribe some extra pain meds for you during the flare-up. Ice is great too.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
seanashton42

Post by seanashton42 »

I had a dreadful experience with my nerve block. Pre nerve block 225mg Pregabalin, post nerve block 6 weeks of misery and now topped out on 600mg! Pain subdued after 6 weeks, it's clinically proven that the block will only last that long. Up your painkiller and watch the calendar. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Violet M wrote:Shana, what kind of nerve block was it?

I'm sorry things got worse for you. There are reports from some patients of very bad reactions or results from nerve blocks although it is uncommon and usually temporary.

Violet
Hi Voilet,

Temporary? So have you heard of any/many permanently worse results from botox pudendal blocks in your long time on the forum.

Cheers
Last edited by Jackson on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Jackson, yes, I have personal friends who unfortunately got worse long term either from Botox injections or from nerve blocks and they are still looking for alternative treatments that might help. :(

Violet
shana

Post by shana »

I seem to be one if those people who are the lucky ones. I has my first nerve block end if Feb and then my second one 4 weeks ago. My pain has progressively gotten worse so the dr doesn't want to do another block before I speak to Dr. Coleman. I went from a pain level of a 4-8 to a pain level that is now 7-10+ I also have pain in many areas that I didn't have before which are basically all the symptoms if PN. before I had some symptoms of PN now all symptoms if PN except, thank Gd, I'm able to sit (though somewhat painful still bearable)

Shana
More PT
More PT
Chips

Post by Chips »

Hello Violet,

What kind of problems have your friends after the Botox? More spasm or other problems?

gtz

Chips
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Chips wrote:Hello Violet,

What kind of problems have your friends after the Botox? More spasm or other problems?
Urinary retention and increased pain from Botox into the bladder. This same person saw Dr. Skaribis in Houston who told him that he's seen other people who had problems after Botox. I think Faith and Ezer both posted awhile back that they had some problems with Botox but I don't remember exactly what symptoms they had.

There's a gal name Stephanie who used to post who became ill after Botox -- can't remember all of her symptoms but I think she had extreme fatigue.

Sorry, I can't remember all of the details -- just that some people have had problems after Botox.

Violet

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”