Pilates cylinder

List of Physiotherapists Worldwide; Techniques & Education to educate Physio's who are not PN aware, etc
helenlegs 11

Pilates cylinder

Post by helenlegs 11 »

My nephew came around today, he is a personal trainer and very into a holistic approach to fitness. He brought me dense foam?? (very dense, so it had no give but it was light) cylinder approx 1 meter long with a 150mm diameter . Here is what I am talking about http://videos.wisegeek.com/videos/517397483.htm
He made me lie on it but lengthwise so my spine was against it. I had to flatten out so that my spine touched it along it's length with my knees bent and feet and elbows and forearms on the floor.Just keeping this balance (very easy) has some small beneficial effect.
For one it was SO comfortable, I positioned it so that it ended at the bottom of my sacrum and because it is round it didn't really touch the painful spots. The exercise he recommended was simply raising my feet a few inches off the floor, holding it there for a few counts, alternating and repeating. Easy as! This develops a greater core strength.
I LOVED the roll and feel as if it would be ideal for just laying on for a while sometimes, watching TV for instance. It may not be for everyone but I can not see any negative points for using it with simple core strengthening exercises in mind.
There are so many exercises I can't do just because they require lying or sitting so the sore bits have contact :o . I think this will help sort that out :)
Helen
Last edited by helenlegs 11 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
calluna

Re: Pilates cylinder

Post by calluna »

That's really interesting Helen. So glad to hear that it helps you, that's very positive!

So you've got a cylinder made of firm foam stuff, about the dimensions of a broomstick - actually it will be a bit thinner than that, about five eighths of an inch across. I wonder where your nephew got this thing...
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

ha ha! missed a 0 out Calluna, sorry or should have written cms not mm. Have changed it to avoid confusion. Honestly I used to be a kitchen designer, who would buy a kitchen from me with that type of silly error! ;)
Now that you can picture the proper dimensions it will make more sense.
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

That's interesting, Helen. Looks a comfortable position to maintain too! I can see legions of PN-ers taking up floorspace with this and the family dog/cat/child thinking this is a great game, let's pile on! :shock: . Topically, I saw Dr. Greenslade only last week who recommended core strengthening (no Kegels of course), so thanks to your nephew, no need to look any further! The other exercises in the video could be useful for people too, I suspect the thoracic spine in a lot of us could do with loosening up, especially as we get older and less flexible. About the only flexible thing I have at the moment is my credit card! :lol:
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
2 -Xray guided double nerve blocks -Dr.Baranowski - no relief.
TP self-massage reduced piriformis pressure on p nerve.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Feb '15. Applying to be referred again to Dr G.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

He he! that takes me back. . . . we used to do a 'pile on' (as I'm typing this I feel SO embarrassed :oops: ) but you did make me smile with that comment, in a twilight zone
} {da da da da} { way. Glad there is only you reading this BF ;) . You do need to realise that this was long, long ago. . . . } { If anyone fell over or was say lying on the floor (even when completely minding their own business) my very silly group of lovely friends would literally 'pile on', shouting 'PILE ON' as they went, indicating that everyone had to do the same } {. Yes they are all daft.
My poor cousin Bob came over from New Zealand (he is almost exactly the same age as me) and he was introduced to this strange behavior, and more besides, as we were in proper party mode at that particular time. Poor boy. (he absolutely loved it really)
Another cuz is an illustrator; he made a fab card for our Bob when he was leaving. I wish I had a copy, it was all of us having a 'pile on'. EEEhhh Happy days :D and yes all of those people are still my friends but are all respectable (ish) now. We do have a great time when we get together but it is mainly about what we used to get up to all those years ago.
Pass my zimmer ;)
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

Well BF (aka best friend, not boyfriend :? :) ), sounds like you've been reminiscing on the Baileys with this post, lol (mine's a triple malibu + coke, ta!). This was called "bundling" in my son's day at senior school. He disappeared beneath the entire 3rd form in the playground one day. Couldn't tie his shoelaces for a week after. Headmaster found out i wasn't a particularly happy bunny! So I'm not going to any of your parties, ta, being a civilised Londoner (oh okay then, softy Southerner to you :lol: ).

Anyhow, to just go back to the thread subject, I bought a cylinder of firm foam (meant for pipe cladding) for £1.99 in The Range, have you got them up t'north? The one i got is only 3" diameter though so bit of a balancing act, more like Calluna's witches broomstick (haha, do you read Pratchett? Nanny Ogg + Granny Weatherwax!!) , but they do come in larger sizes.See you in the air ...
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Meant to put BL but BF is a good substitute :)
You do make me cackle ;)
My eldest is a Terry Pratchet fan, since school, so I have a passing acquaintance with those ladies, although after a while only in hard back at Christmas time as I had grown up ;) .
calluna

Post by calluna »

Grown up! Can't be doing with that....! :lol:

I'll get my coat now.
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

Well said Calluna! :-)
BL? Er, British Library, Butterfly Lover, Broken Leg, Bill of Lading? Now I don't know what I am, Helen!
Have got 36 of Terry Pratchett's books (job lot, eBay) and a bargain they were too (in lots of ways besides price!). Certainly I've never grown up, what a terrible thought! :shock: :)
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:

Return to “PHYSIOTHERAPY”