I HAVE A DIAGNOSIS ! INGUINAL HERNIA

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
donstore

I HAVE A DIAGNOSIS ! INGUINAL HERNIA

Post by donstore »

Just got back from dynamic ultrasound exam and tech told me I have bilateral inguinal hernias. After 5 years, finally something that can be fixed.She showed me on the screen where the hernias were pushing thru into the inguinal canal when I coughed. Don't let this possibility pass you by when you have pelvic pain.I had to diagnose myself.I would have started crying but I had to go back to work.

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
HerMajesty

Re: I HAVE A DIAGNOSIS ! INGUINAL HERNIA

Post by HerMajesty »

Congrats Don I am very very happy for you! :D
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Yes, well done indeed Don, and fixable !!! Hope you are all sorted soon. Let us know :)
Very pleased for you.
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
ezer

Post by ezer »

Don,
That's great. Do you have hernia symptoms like more pain when you cough and pain disappearing when you lie down on your back?
Do you feel that it explains the pain you are experiencing?
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
donstore

Post by donstore »

I am certainly hopeful that this is the source of my problems. There is no additional pain when I cough. The tech showed me the herniation on the screen, on both sides no less. It only appeared when I coughed and then withdrew.She brought in a resident to palpate the area and look at the screen while I coughed. My theory (thanks to encouragement by the notorious NorthernSpy) is that the herniation presses on the nerve when I sit, bend , or lift and gets worse through the day. When I lie down all day, there is no pain.This seems to be the classical clinical presentation of an occult inguinal hernia. I am waiting for a consult with a general surgeon at UCSF so we'll see what they have to say. I will keep you posted.

Don
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
calluna

Post by calluna »

Don, what amazing news! I do so hope that this will be the solution. Goodness, after all this time, all this pain, all these meds, all this distress...

I hope also that you don't have long to wait, and that the surgery will be straightforward.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Congrats on your hernia diagnosis, Don!!!! :D
Where exactly are do you feel the pain? Is it in your groin? Lower abdominals in the inguinal area? Any idea how this happened to you?
I hope this new diagnosis is helpful with alleviating your symptoms. The more stories I see here, the more I'm convinced that hip pathologies and hernias should be confirmed or ruled out as part of the diagnostic process.
Kind regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Meliora

Post by Meliora »

I am so happy for you! I think I would have cried! May your pain be gone very soon!!! :)

My visit with the hernia surgeon this week was worthless, he barely seemed interested. Where do you get a dynamic ultrasound to check for a hernia? Did your MRI not show the hernia? The doctor I saw said my MRI was "hernia negative."
donstore

Post by donstore »

Meliora,
There is no way to rule out a hernia with an MRI because when you ARE LAYING DOWN A REDUCIBLE HERNIA WIL FALL BACK INTO THE ABDOMINAL CAVITY ! A dynamic ultrasound involves coughing, bearing down , and standing up.

Don
Meliora

Post by Meliora »

I will be looking for a different doctor to check into a hernia. The doctor I saw was "supposed" to be good. He rushed in/rushed out and complained my MRI took too long to upload. Thank you for the information! I at least want an ultrasound to rule things out. May relief be yours soon! :-)

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”