Anti-Inflammatory Diet (Gluten Free Diet)

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
hotblondee

Anti-Inflammatory Diet (Gluten Free Diet)

Post by hotblondee »

I was at my PT appointment yesterday and my PT suggested that I look into and consider changing my diet to an Anti-Inflammatory Diet (aka Gluten Free Diet). I am just starting to do my own research on gluten free diets helping with chronic pain.

Has anyone here switched to a gluten free diet? Has it helped? What are your thoughts/opinions?
Ovarian cyst (left side) and endometriosis diagnosis and surgery - January 2011
Flare up of continuous pain - March 2012
Endometriosis surgery - May 2012
Nerve blocks -May 2012, June 2012 - did not work
Unconfirmed diagnosis of PN/E and ilionguinal nerve entrapment May 2012
Lidocane IV infusion July 2012 - no success

www.justmylife.ca
HerMajesty

Re: Anti-Inflammatory Diet (Gluten Free Diet)

Post by HerMajesty »

I did in fact try it with no help back when I was not even aware I had neuropathy: My symptoms started with neuropathic itch, not pain, so I thought I was looking at an allergic or dermatologic condition.
However, doing a trial of gluten free diet can't hurt.
I do know something about going gluten free because we have a lot of autism in my family, which is often associated with gluten sensitivity, and so both my father and brother have been gluten free for a couple of years now with excellent results in overcoming a number of chronic ailments. If you're going to get results, it will probably take a month or less...my Dad said within 2 weeks of starting he felt 15 years younger.
Due to modern grain breeding in agribusiness, the gluten molecule has become more complex over time and I have read estimates that as many as 20% of the population now has some degree of gluten sensitivity. A trial of diet is the way to see if it helps you, because the blood tests for gluten sensitivity are actually only testing to see if you are sensitive to a small portion of the gluten molecule in its current state.
Like I said, no help to me, but zero harm in trying.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
calluna

Post by calluna »

We tried this a while ago, and found it helped. We now exclude all sugar, all grains, and most nightshades, and our diet is basically paleo. It has made such a difference in so many respects, we are never going back to our old way of eating.
deBBieW

Post by deBBieW »

Hi
Mt current pelvic therapist also suggested I try wheat/gluten free for a month. I was having other pain issues, jaw, shoulders, knee. Unfortunately, it made no difference to me, and I was very careful about what I ate during that month. I was hopeful, and disappointed when there was no difference.

Give it try, everyone is different.

Debbie
Vag pain, leg burning 3/11, SIJ inj 7/11, Pelvic PT, Chiro/acupuncture,
2-CT pudendal blks 11/2012, did help, less deep vag pain
Potter MRI 04/2012 - Scar tissue/thickening at SS/ST, scar in Alcock canal -bilateral,
Hibner 6/12 suggests Botox (didnt do), 8/12 more pelvic PT w/ dry needling
Gabapentin 1800 mg, Lyrica 200 mg, 5mg valium, vicodin as needed
Trying to get rid of central sensitization burning pain in my legs, Valium seems to be helping
Looking into more mindfulness options. . . . .
calluna

Post by calluna »

I think it is also quite important to balance the omega 3/6 in the diet as well. In general what we eat has omega 6 in excess, mostly from seed oils in processed foods. Omega 3 oils have an anti-inflammatory effect.
hotblondee

Post by hotblondee »

I think I may try it. At least for a month and see if there is any difference. I guess worse case scenario would be that it doesn't help, it is at least a healthy change.
Ovarian cyst (left side) and endometriosis diagnosis and surgery - January 2011
Flare up of continuous pain - March 2012
Endometriosis surgery - May 2012
Nerve blocks -May 2012, June 2012 - did not work
Unconfirmed diagnosis of PN/E and ilionguinal nerve entrapment May 2012
Lidocane IV infusion July 2012 - no success

www.justmylife.ca
Faith

Post by Faith »

From my research gluten can remain in the body for up to 8 weeks so it can take 2-3 months to see an improvement. A detox is often helpful first to help "jump-start" an elimination diet. Many natropaths also recommend the elimation of sugar, dairy, and other high potential allergens at the same time and then slowly adding them back in one at a time to see how they affect your body. It's definitely worth a shot. Looking into this myself now. Wish I had tried it back 3 years ago before my pain became so debilitating!
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

With ref to the sugar/inflammation thing, not sure if you saw this link Faith.
http://www.pelvicpainrehab.com/blog/201 ... lvic-pain/

This video is really interesting with ref to a how gluten can affect people (celiac disease)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvK9KZy1xaw

It's is long(ish) but interesting as mentioned an fairly entertainingly presented, unless I just quite like the guy on the right ;)

and this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLJSmJ0bMlk

Take care.
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
shana

Post by shana »

I've tried such a diet in the past saw no change. My friend on the other hand has been on such a diet for abt 6 months (she doesn't have PN but other pelvic issues, endometriosis, IC etc.) she does eat spelt but no other grain and no sugar. There r also certain vegi she doesn't eat and I'm sure there's more to it but I'm not sure. She's seen amazing results so far!
'08 diagnosed with vulvar vestibulitis
'09 vestibulectomy-Dr. Goldstein-failed
'11 right labral repair and release-Dr. Coleman
2/10-8/12 severe depression, minimal dr appointmen
4 different physical therapists '08-'12 no improvement whatsoever
'13 pudendal nerve blocks-Dr. Chapman
More PT
Dr. Conway officially diagnosed PN/PNE 7/13
9/13 Bilateral hip repair Dr. Coleman
10/13-5/14 Major Depression, no dr appointments
More PT
6/14 Dr. Hibner confirmed diagnosis
Looking for help..hoping for answers
cpps-admin

Post by cpps-admin »

I posted this link before, but for some reason I'd like explained, it seems to have been deleted. The people running this forum claim to truly want to help their readers to get better, but deleting links like the one below would seem to run counter to that objective

If my posts are arbitrarily deleted without explanation, I will cease posting here. Up to you, mods.
I am the admin of the member forum at a chronic prostatitis (aka CPPS) website

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”