Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery - post surgery recovery

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Karyn

Re: Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery - post surgery reco

Post by Karyn »

Well said, Meliora. ;)
And everyone else who is advising Sean to take it easy. Sean, you've just been through a major surgery. A nerve surgery, at that. I'm not sure how much you know about this condition, but it may be helpful to do a little research on the site. Of course, we're here to answer any questions you may have. :) Or provide whatever support we can to help get you through this.
I'm glad to hear you found a tolerable seat cushion. But, please, try to limit those car journeys as much as possible. Really, you shouldn't even be trying to sit right now. Especially in light of your abcess problem. ;)
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
seanashton42

Post by seanashton42 »

Here's the link for the cushion:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harley-Proform- ... ey+cushion

I understand the term "going to the gym" brings on all sorts of connotations. However, it's been 2 weeks since my decompression and that's how long I was told to hold off by Mr Wong. My abscess was relieved on Sunday so much of the internal pressure has gone. As I said before its a case of trying to be positive, fill the days as im not working and find a way around the problem that the surgery presents. No I can't run, no I can't go on a climber, but my problem doesn't stop me using a hand wheel....Well i hope not :shock: What someone can do may be limited but its worth a try to achieve what is possible no matter how small.

I'd be interested on how people judge their day. Mine is based on how much medication I did or more importantly didn't take. Was the day a good day because I didn't have my TENS on, I didn't end up in agony on the bed but managed to read my boy his bedtime story.

Potentially, my career (like others) may be on the line. PNE just takes over your life, every day I take one day back from it is a victory at the moment.
seanashton42

Post by seanashton42 »

And yes limit those car journeys. However, I have become very adept and the one buttock lift :D
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Hi Sean,
I will try to answer about acupuncture but ask away if I do not answer all you need. My two most obvious changes based on acupincture were right adter surgery he put needles around the scar and it softened up, my PT was amazed. Then a month or two ago he started putting needles in my upper lip that took away the rectal pain, I am considering that a miracle because I though that pain was never going to be rid of that last pain. Over the almost two years I have been going to him I probably got needles everywhere! I also have chronic foot ( large toe/bunion) pain that has been with be some 25 years that he is also working on so I do not fall into the "active" set of folks none the less although I try to handle the down time it still gets me down. I was down for the count a weekend ago when I got little toe pains both feet felt like someone was stabbing me with needles when I walked especially in shoes. I was just getting rid of the pelvic nerve pain feeling I could do something on the weekend and wham! Guess moral of the story is ups and downs and no one wants to be down. Best of luck with your recovery and hope the cushion helps you through. Driving seemed my most challlenging. A few more thoughts I am in better shape than ever with core strength to combat the pelvic instabilty. Work was a major concern and why I went almost straight to surgery, however there were challenges with getting back. The doctor thought I should be okay in a month, cannot remember but PT did not even start until week 6? Anyway I could not imagine working until after 3 months and then only 2 hhours and up to 6 hours at 7 months post op. I was told to look into disability at the 4 week mark but finally got Family Medical Leave Act for time off (leave without pay) so I can still work hours that wotk for my condition of the day. I should be able to make it the last few years for retirement but doubt I will work many or even any more 8 hour days. I realize this makes me very lucky as I have been throughout this journey. I hope you can find a way to get through without any more setbacks.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
seanashton42

Post by seanashton42 »

Thank you Janet. I'm really interested in acupuncture - do you self administer?

I'm really surprised that PNE is regarded as a rare condition when so many of us have the condition. Having been admitted to a general hospital for my abscess surgery, when you mention its a result of a PNE condition and all you get is a big thinks bubble???????? One Dr said "we'll I've heard of the Pudendal nerve"!

I wonder if someone can help? I've had someone PM me and I've tried to reply but for some reason they stay in my outbox and I can't find a way to actually send them. All help appreciated.
seanashton42

Post by seanashton42 »

Blimey I'm never off this site!

There's a saying in the UK "All mouth and no trousers" and I hold that crown! I admit attempting to go to the gym was a disaster. I couldn't sit on the hand wheel machine. The pad (which feels like a nappy) covering my open abscess wound presses on the injury itself and isn't comfortable....to say the least. So basically I couldn't do anything there I couldn't do at home so I apologise to those ladies who basically said I was a twit...you're right I am!

To be honest not a good day for nerve pain either - bugger!

Better luck tomorrow ;)

Sean
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Don't worry sean, I'm often in the twit club too.
About 2 weeks after I'd had back surgery (microdiscectomy) my husband came home to find me sawing an 8 ft tree down. I was lying on the ground to do it. . . .so I still think that is OK tbh, but he hasn't let me forget it and 'looks' at me when I have done too much during the day (with the pelvic stuff now) when I let out that involuntary cry from nerve zaps.
it's all a balance not getting too stir crazy and not letting the problem bring you any further down, so being proactive but not too much. Then the big question how much is too much??
Think you may have found that answer ;)

Take (more) care :)
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Rosemary

Post by Rosemary »

seanashton42 wrote:
I wonder if someone can help? I've had someone PM me and I've tried to reply but for some reason they stay in my outbox and I can't find a way to actually send them. All help appreciated.
Hi Sean

I found the same when i replied to someone by pm - i found that the 'outbox bit' went once they had picked the message up and that my message had truly been sent to them - plus they replied ;)

Are you seeing any pain management people through your doctor ? i had a lesson yesterday from the psychologist attached to the unit here about pacing but still doing what you want to do.

Your post last night made me cry - could relate a bit as my son has been unwell and his little boy means the world to him.

Take care

Rosemary x
Last edited by Rosemary on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Sean,
Acupuncture was a whole different idea for me as I was pretty mainstream medical until PNE. This condition was so much to deal with and many times more of an impact than the foot pain that I had to broaden my view and try most anything. My friend had a few ideas still a lttle further out there! However when I got with the gynecologist I see now he said he wanted to treat every aspect so psychology, acupuncture, aqua therapy, and regular PT and I just added pain management. Also he had 20 acupuncturists and said the guy he gave me was the one for PNE. He got it! I do not self administer, also beyond me but I quickly became a believer once progress was seen. I have had to pace my activities due to the foot pain for years but again PNE with it really stalled me. It is hard to miss out on certain things like my nephew's college graduation, niece's high school and most my time with my brother in the past 3 years before he died. I did see him once finally this past summer as I finally felt I could travel and probably subconciously knew time was running out so the little stuff was eaisier to pass on and try to focus on getting better. I wish you calmer days ahead.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
seanashton42

Post by seanashton42 »

Thanks Janet I really think its worth a go. I read somewhere that it has a success rate of 5%, but hey whatever it is if it works it works!!!!!

I'm 2 weeks post decompression surgery today and 4 days post emergency abscess surgery. The good news is that my wife having looked into gaping hole in my buttock tells me it's starting to knit together. There's still a lot of dead tissue to come out but I suppose that's a good thing. On the down side (as I was glued not stitched originally) the incision has split completely :0(.

On the plus side I've driven again for the first time. Only about 5 miles but its still 5 miles. The strategic placement of a cushion to lift the good buttock was a stroke of genius.

A good day today so far :0)

Sean

Return to “SURGERY”