Vaginal & rectal valium experiences?

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
HerMajesty

Vaginal & rectal valium experiences?

Post by HerMajesty »

Just looking for reports of others who have tried vaginal or rectal valium, or other suppository meds such as valium / baclofen combos.
I have heard very positive things from other patients, about being able to use these for great local relief without the systemic effects.
I am already on oral valium, 2.5 mg 4 times per day; but on "flare days", like especially if I have to drive a long distance I will take an extra whole 5mg tab. This is useful and I don't really get alot of side effects with it. I asked the PA who does my meds if I could get a few extra valium prescribed, because now if I take an extra valium I need to ration at other times to make up for it. He said he wanted me to try 4mg rectal suppositories instead, "because otherwise if you take a pill, it has to go all around your whole body just to get to the spot where it is needed".
So, 50 bucks copay and a trip accross town later, I had my suppositories. I tried one right before I went out grocery shopping. Well, by the time I was halfway through getting my groceries, I realized I was high as a kite, just totally gorked. This was with a 4mg suppository although it would not have happened with a 5mg oral tablet. So much for local effect only.
I haven't found any real use for these things yet - used one at bedtime and was totally exhausted and hung over when the alarm rang; used half of one this morning and was such an idiot at work I decided to never take one before work again...not great to be dropping papers all over the floor and unable to string a sentence together.
I have heard that others have had great benefit from these so in part really want to encourage discussion of the topic on the new board because suppositories have been a lifesaver for some PN patients and everybody should be aware of them as an option...but also to share my experience, kind of bummed and wondering if anyone has had this experience and found an appropriate dosage / timing of use to get benefit from them in spite of these issues. I am thinking for me though, oral valium will be not only cheaper and better tolerated but more effective. I didn't notice a huge symptom difference, aside from the distraction from symptoms caused by being high.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Violet M

Re: Vaginal & rectal valium experiences?

Post by Violet M »

HM, I wonder if maybe the medication is absorbed more readily through the vaginal mucous membranes than through the GI system so in reality your body is getting a higher dose than you are used to. Maybe you want to try a smaller dose and see what happens. Or, you could even save the 50 bucks and insert the oral pills vaginally. I have read where one doctor recommends this. You could crush it and insert it with some KY jelly or try just inserting it with KY.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Quilter 2

Post by Quilter 2 »

Hi Hermajesty;
I take the rectal Valium and don't have any highs, (somedays I wish I did)!! I know you're a nurse, so maybe you'll know what I'm about to write means. This is what my script says:
10 mg
Diazepam,USP0.121 GM NDC 51927101400; silica gel (PPTD) micronized 0.1815 GM NDC 62991136702; base MBK ( fatty acid) 13.59417 GMS NDC 51927105600; suppository shell small (1.46 G base A) 11 supp NDC 51927-1816-00
Even if you don't know what all that means, copy it and take it to your DR or Pharmacy and maybe they can tell you if it's stronger or less potent than what you have.
When I take it, it takes about an hour to melt, this is what the pharmacy told me and then it takes 1-2 hours to take effect. When I want to go somewhere, I start the process about 3 hours before we go to whatever. For me, it wears off after 6-8 hours. Dr. Quesada told me, if I absolutely had to, I could take 2, 12 hours apart.
I hope this helps a little.
Doreen
Five pudendal nerve infiltrations with good results.
Sixth Injection left me with more burning, more pain, pain in buttocks.
Botox shot didn't notice any difference
Physical Therapy - Aquatic and Myofascial
External and Internal Manual Therapy on the obturator muscle.
3T MRI with Dr. Potter
2nd opinion with Dr. Hibner in Phoenix
Loretta Robertson PT Phoenix
Decompression surgery Nov. 1, 2011
Emily B

Post by Emily B »

I tried the vaginal valium and it caused me too much burning. No relief from PN pain.

Emily B.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Quilter 2 - that is probably useful info - what it is as far as I can tell is the base that the valium was compouunded into, and I will have to compare and see if my base is different. I get the impression mine are melting almost instantaneously, and so I must get the entire dose very fast.
On the other hand, as far as individuals go, I just seem to be the type who has unusually dramatic systemic effects from local meds. I was at one point given a cream by a dermatologist; I believe the name is Zonalon cream or something similar; which is a local - acting version of a systemic tricyclic antidepressant. I slept for a week before I realized it was the topical med causing this, and the Doc told me less than 1% of patients feel a systemic effect from it. So probably I am just not a candidate.
Primary reason I bothered to start the thread actually, was to throw the rectal / vaginal valium idea out there again onto this new blank board, as I know it has helped many people.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

Hi,

Originaly, I had the same suppository rX as Quilter 2, and I used it vaginally. It caused me horrible burning, yeast like symptoms, etc. I used it rectally and it didn't work so I had the compounded formula changed to just pure valium powder and cocoa butter. I use it vaginally and it hasn't caused me any yeast or itching symptoms at all!!!! I only use it once a day 10 mg suppository at night, and it helps me sleep. I CAN use it twice a day, and probably will start soon as I am in so much pain.... it's just hard with taking care of my daughter and all...

I apoloazie for typos... spilled coffee on my computer and the delete key is broken.

A's Mommy
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

Hi,
I haven't tried them and am curious to try.
I'ved tried baclofan which was basically useless to me.
But i LOVE the amazing suppositories from france called Lamiline. The Lamalines are part tylenol, opium, and caffeine. They're hard to get as I have to depend on dr. bautrant's office having time to go across town, find them, and mail them to me... but they work like magic, w/no side effects.

wish they made them in the states.
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

pianogal that is an interesting thing that they include caffeine, because I find if I drink large amounts of caffeine it seems to make my meds stronger (I take Neurontin, Ultram, & valium). It makes them work better on the PN, but also increases my "med behavior" (my BFF tells me that on my meds I have a bad case of CRS and OSC..."Can' Remember S***" and "One Sided Conversation"). So that is intriguing that someone has actually put caffeine into a PN med. Caffeine definitely works on migraines and is in the OTC migraine meds - I am curious about the mechanism of action, and if anyone else deliberately mixes their meds with caffeine to potentiate the effects.
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

cool. interesting. :)
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
Grammy

Post by Grammy »

I have tried these and I have used them both rectally and vaginally. I have also taken a 5 mg tablet and squashed it and mixed it with KY jelly. If you and get Bamd O suppositories from your doctor they may work better. I have used them both vaginally and rectally. They give me severe dry mouth and a drugged feeling sometimes. The belladonna is suppose to help with spasms and the o stands for opium to help with the pain. They were once removed from the market but they are available again now

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”